NHL to Atlanta odds just increased significantly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Forsyth County was only going to approve the building of the new Arena in this project (called The Gathering) if an NHL team came with it.

Well the county is about to green light the Arena.

Putting 2 and 2 together...

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm happy for the fans who lost their team, but I really hope there's a better plan to make this work this time.

I suppose the more beneficial expansion drafts rules that Vegas and Seattle got compared to past teams will help. Having a franchise start out in the basement for years is not an easy way to build a fan base.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Bettman has my full support in general but I don't see how going back here is helpful. Unless he wants to move Arizona which I doubt he does.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Ridiculous, this city have already fails twice with the NHL, give a chance to Houston or even Salt Lake City. Even Quebec would be a better option right now.
Completely different circumstances. It's been explained ad nauseum that, at this point, if you still don't get the difference then i'm not sure what to say.

I'll try to summarize for you:

Previously:
Arena was downtown, similar to the braves. The braves realized the vassssst majority of families coming to games were in metro atlanta, anywhere from 30-90min driver to the atlanta suburbs where TONS of money (and population) presides. Braves moved and hardly ever have an empty seat now thanks to the move.

This new Atlanta hockey team is even MORE accessible to Metro Atlanta. Not only that, but all of the youth hockey teams

(sidebar: the city actually has a very active hockey community, including mens leagues and youth leagues; the state university UGA has a club ice hockey team that has become so popular that they are even building an arena for a club team; the state supports (easily) two ECHL teams who both thrive in attendance)

are all within maybe 30 minutes in every direction of the new NHL arena location as well. When studies were done to see what made NHL teams popular there was a strong positive correlation with number of youth teams in the area.

Put plainly, there is no way with the population and money that will surround the new team - not to mention tickets that will be nabbed by an array of corporate business - for the team to fail unless they have an uninterested ownership group not looking to invest a dime and sell the team as soon as they're able, like last time. If the ownership group includes some of the folks I've been told personally, like Anson Carter, then I highly doubt that will be the case again.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I'm happy for the fans who lost their team, but I really hope there's a better plan to make this work this time.

I suppose the more beneficial expansion drafts rules that Vegas and Seattle got compared to past teams will help. Having a franchise start out in the basement for years is not an easy way to build a fan base.
Different ownership group plus exponentially better location.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I think the hate for Georgia to have an NHL team once again is somewhat unwarranted. Considering Forsyth County is a hockey-affliated city already and the town is developing an "entertainment hub" with the arena planned to be developed right in the heart of it... I'd be interested to see what kind of franchise this could be if they bring back the Thrashers.

The reason the Thrashers sucked before is because the owners failed to commit investing into a hockey franchise as other, bigger sports were more interesting avenues as revenue-bringers long term. If they have reputable, honest ownership this time, I can see a fairly successful resurgence.

Minnesota got a 2nd shot at an NHL team in 2000, one year after the Thrashers joined the league. They have made the conference finals once, and only twice otherwise have made round 2. Last time in 2015. Even after the summer 2012 Free Agent splash they pulled off. This is not a shot at the franchise, but merely an example.

...Now the argument against adding yet another team into this league and throw off the 16 team conference balance we currently have, I can jump on board with.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I think the hate for Georgia to have an NHL team once again is somewhat unwarranted. Considering Forsyth County is a hockey-affliated city already and the town is developing an "entertainment hub" with the arena planned to be developed right in the heart of it... I'd be interested to see what kind of franchise this could be if they bring back the Thrashers.

The reason the Thrashers sucked before is because the owners failed to commit investing into a hockey franchise as other, bigger sports were going to bring them in more revenue. If they have reputable, honest ownership this time, I can see a fairly successful resurgence.

Minnesota got a 2nd shot at an NHL team in 2000, one year after the Thrashers joined the league. They have made the conference finals once, and only twice otherwise have made round 2. Last time in 2015. Even after the summer 2012 Free Agent splash they pulled off. This is not a shot at the franchise, but merely an example.

...Now the argument against adding yet another team into this league and throw off the 16 team conference balance we currently have, I can jump on board with.

Im sorry, did you just unironically compare Minnesota to Atlanta as a hockey market?

This will be another Coyotes. Within 5 years we'll be hearing about how "people would go to the game if the stadium was closer to the city and easier to get to"

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Im sorry, did you just unironically compare Minnesota to Atlanta as a hockey market?

This will be another Coyotes. Within 5 years we'll be hearing about how "people would go to the game if the stadium was closer to the city and easier to get to"
Comparison no, but merely a perspective for those such as yourself who are so easily dismissive based on "past history". You're entitled to your opinion.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
The Hockey Guy made a video where we got 4 new teams. Salt Lake City in the West, Houston in the Central, Atlanta in the Metro, and Quebec City in the Atlantic. I would support that idea if that's how it came about.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Who is the proposed owner?

I really don't think you can say "well they failed twice". The Atlanta Flames were almost 50 years ago - lots of things have changed. Atlanta Thrashers just had a weird situation where the owners literally did not want to own a hockey team any more, but also controlled the arena (and didn't want them playing there any longer).

There are thriving southern hockey markets, so who knows how Atlanta 3.0 would do?

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
56d.gif

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
There are too many teams as it is. Talent pool is already stretched so thin. So many noncompetitive bottom feeders every single year...

We used to have a rule for wife regarding her clothes: For every 1 new thing she bought she had to get rid of 2 things she didn't wear anymore.

The NHL should be under the same rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad