League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
Fair or not, players with premier draft positions will generally get a big edge in contract negotiations while they’re young. If Laf and CMM had identical stats then Laf would get considerably more money, because you’re also paying for potential.

I think this is going to be a really good deal for the Rangers. Laf took a bit to develop (the Rangers aren’t great at developing these players), but he is looking very much like the player he was touted to be, especially in the playoffs last year. While wish nothing but bad for the Rangers, I think this is going to work out really well for them.

• Wow
Reactions: Ridley Simon

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Didn’t you want to rush to give Sandin like 6Mx8 before the start of last season? Where’s this new found caution coming from? ;)

Yeah that certainly isn't a take that is aging well. The idea with Sandin was to lock him up for the entirety of his 20s when (I thought) he was looking like a first pairing guy based on his play in Toronto. Obviously that is not playing out as I hoped.

The caution is coming from an asset management perspective and maximizing the team's chance at winning another Cup, not so much that the next Chychrun contract is necessarily going to become an anchor around their necks. He's a good player, and there's certainly a case to sign him long term especially if he continues to fit in this season.

I just don't think it's a slam dunk, especially after 6 games. I'm just saying let's see where the team is at closer to the TDL. If the team falls off, or Chychrun's play falls off, then it'd be wise to evaluate his long term future in DC.

I think @twabby is better than that….

That makes one of us!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad