League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
TB trading for Guentzel has to mean they've negotiated a deal, right? They can't be dense enough to trade a 3rd just to have slightly higher leverage on a potential deal without actually having one already worked out? If JG signs elsewhere, it will be ridiculous, right?

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
TB trading for Guentzel has to mean they've negotiated a deal, right? They can't be dense enough to trade a 3rd just to have slightly higher leverage on a potential deal without actually having one already worked out? If JG signs elsewhere, it will be ridiculous, right?
It's happened before, but usually it happens weeks out from the start of free agency instead of the day ahead. It's been two hours now and they still haven't announced a contract, so who knows? Would be pretty funny if they gave up a 3rd, moved out Sergachev and Jeannot, and let Stamkos walk, only to strike out on Guentzel!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yea, a lot of bad moves recently.

But deadline pickups on their last year should be expected to leave.
Normally true but not a guy like Guentzel, and not when you have the space and clear need to bring him back. They’re going to spend more assets looking for another Guentzel next season, or they’re going to overpay for a guy likely worse than Guentzel to try and replace him.

Reactions: RedRocking

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Normally true but not a guy like Guentzel, and not when you have the space and clear need to bring him back. They’re going to spend more assets looking for another Guentzel next season, or they’re going to overpay for a guy likely worse than Guentzel to try and replace him.
Yes they are.

But I don’t blame Guentzel for leaving. A lot of free agents are leaving and Necas wants out. It would seem the window is closing.

Reactions: Calicaps

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Potentially losing Guentzel, Necas, TT, Pesce, and Skjei in one offseason is brutal.

I guess they can just grow more two-way 20g scorers in them there tobacco fields - but def a step back year coming up for them.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Potentially losing Guentzel, Necas, TT, Pesce, and Skjei in one offseason is brutal.

I guess they can just grow more two-way 20g scorers in them there tobacco fields - but def a step back year coming up for them.
And they didn't improve their goaltending. Andersen is a playoff choker and Kochetkov is still improving to get better. It seems to be some players from the Canes are not coming back or want to be traded because players seem to be underpaid and there has to be some kind of negativity going through the team that is not being reported.

Reactions: RedRocking and um

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Yes they are.

But I don’t blame Guentzel for leaving. A lot of free agents are leaving and Necas wants out. It would seem the window is closing.
It's not about the window closing, as they are still a young and Cup contending team. There is something else going on that is not being reported about the team. It was indicated Guentzel wanted to re-sign, but my guess either the dollar amount or amount of years was not met, both or there is a culture problem with the team. Necas wants to be traded, but why? Waddell resigned being the GM and moved on to become the CBJ's GM. Is it the owner being too meddlesome or Brind'Amour is being too hard on players?

Reactions: um

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
1719783023053.jpeg

Perhaps this is why?

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Could we offer Stamkos a 1 year deal?
I don't think a world exists in which Stamkos wants a 1 year deal, unless it's a very high paying deal.

The bit I find bizarre is the Bolts are letting him walk after 40 goals and 80 points, and they're after Guentzel who admittedly is younger but put up similar numbers - less goals but more assists, and did play fewer games so has a higher PPG.

They're trading a known for an unknown. Stamkos wanted around 5 x 4 (I think that is what was reported?). Guentzel will want a lot more than that.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I
I don't think a world exists in which Stamkos wants a 1 year deal, unless it's a very high paying deal.

The bit I find bizarre is the Bolts are letting him walk after 40 goals and 80 points, and they're after Guentzel who admittedly is younger but put up similar numbers - less goals but more assists, and did play fewer games so has a higher PPG.

They're trading a known for an unknown. Stamkos wanted around 5 x 4 (I think that is what was reported?). Guentzel will want a lot more than that.
I could see Stamkos going to a rival like Boston or Toronto to stick it to Tampa

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I

I could see Stamkos going to a rival like Boston or Toronto to stick it to Tampa
Would love it if the Panthers signed him :laugh:

(but they have too many players to re-sign and don't really need Stamkos)

I hope he signs with a team that I like. Or at least a team that I don't really dislike (Boston, Rangers, Canes,. Pens, Isles)

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Marchessault is now headed to FA. VGK are rumored to be in on Stamkos - because, of course.

Marchy is older, (and we already got our undersized winger in Mangiapane), but he’s the kinda goal scorer we could use. If Oshie can’t go, he could be a good replacement at RW. If it’s like a 3 yr deal, shouldn’t block Leonard too much either.

Though, with Reinhart officially staying in FL on his new (presumably) massive 8 yr deal, Marchessault will probably be able to get a big pay day on the open market.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
NHL lifts the ban on Quennville and Bowman. Two and half years is apparently enough for abetting sexual assault. Gross chicken-shit move by the league.

Edit: And they obviously know it too because they announced it under cover of FA.
I think it's a gross move, but I don't think it's a conspiracy theory to announce it under the cover of free agency. While the NHL is probably happy the story is being buried, July 1 is the start of a new NHL year, and thus the timing of the ban lifting.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm not watching NHL these days nearly as much as I've done in the past but, while occasionally stumbling upon ESPN broadcasts through these couple of years, I couldn't shake the feeling I thought I'd never have...man I miss NBC. I miss Doc and Pierre. I don't care who they rooted for and how biased they were - they were hockey guys through and through. Knew their shit and made it entertaining.

These dudes on ESPN make hockey feel like I'm drinking sand in Sahara. Unwatchable shit. I don't know how you spend that much money on hockey rights and deliver such an amateurish product. Their insiders are the slowest cats in the country, CNN breaking trade news on my feed before they do.
The NHL sold it's soul with that deal.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think it's a gross move, but I don't think it's a conspiracy theory to announce it under the cover of free agency. While the NHL is probably happy the story is being buried, July 1 is the start of a new NHL year, and thus the timing of the ban lifting.
nah, they know what they did. It was slipped under NHL related press release after press release....

Trash handling of a trash decision and they deserve criticism for it. It could have been any old time since most coaching/GM spots are well locked up by draft time, this was a blatant attempt to skirt attention.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad