League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I guess the Utah Warren Jeffs just missed the cut?

I think I’m in the minority but some of those names are pretty fun. Yeti, Black Diamonds, Frost, Freeze… all kind of cool and fit Utah well. Sure as shit better than the Commanders.

People always react terribly towards new team names but let’s not act like old teams aren’t shitty and/or unoriginal too. The Browns were literally named after the dude who bought the team. Green Bay… Packers? Yeah, try getting that one introduced today and not being a laughingstock. The New York Knicks are named after a bad pair of pants. Multiple teams are named the Jets and Giants. Beloved sports teams are named after the color of socks. The Detroit Lions are the Lions because their founders thought it sounded nice next to Detroit Tigers — there are no Lions or Tigers in Michigan (except at the zoo). Most team names suck, we just are used to them. I mean, the Wizards? 0/10, straight ass team name.
This is kind of a weird take, IMO, since there's also lots of terrific names for sports franchises, most recently, the Kraken, for instance. Just because lots of teams, especially older ones, have dumb or dated names doesn't really have anything to do with naming a new team.

These Utah suggestions mostly just seem lazy to me. (For a minute I thought Black Diamonds was okay, but it's a mouthful, especially with Utah in front of it, and is too much like Golden Knights.) Frost and Freeze make me think of Disney.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Technically they could have kept coyotes.
The Drones would serve three purposes ... homage to the original Jets by choosing a name that represents a more modern weapon of war, acknowledgement that Utah is a major source of drones purchased by the U.S. military, and recognition of Utah as the Beehive State.
Taken one step further, the Golden Drones would also conjure up the team's original star whose jump from the NHL helped to legitimize the new league.

btw, the way he's been going, Ovie probably could not top Hull's total of 913 in both leagues (much less Gretz's 940).

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The Drones would serve three purposes ... homage to the original Jets by choosing a name that represents a more modern weapon of war, acknowledgement that Utah is a major source of drones purchased by the U.S. military, and recognition of Utah as the Beehive State.
Taken one step further, the Golden Drones would also conjure up the team's original star whose jump from the NHL helped to legitimize the new league.

btw, the way he's been going, Ovie probably could not top Hull's total of 913 in both leagues (much less Gretz's 940).
Pretty sure Vegas would object to the Golden part. Drones isn't bad and would lend itself to some pretty great art.

I thought maybe Yellowjackets. I know that's not technically bees, but...

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Pretty sure Vegas would object to the Golden part. Drones isn't bad and would lend itself to some pretty great art.

I thought maybe Yellowjackets. I know that's not technically bees, but...
Hard to imagine a hockey team name that includes "yellow."

Any "swarming" descriptives have some appeal, but then is the Head Coach or GM the Queen Bee?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Guentzel seems like the only Hurricane who tries to make the extra play. Every other player just defaults to the simplest play which...isn't ideal.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Canes have no answer playing at home, as they have yet to score a PP goal. At least the Caps got 2 in one game. Shesterkin might be the early playoff MVP.

Yikes, Canes now 0-5 on the PP. This is looking very much like the Rangers going up 3-0 in the series, which basically means it's almost over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad