League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Kinda like Utah HC. Brash nod to foootball. Yeti’s kinda fun. could do some cool stuff with that.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Couple of wild ones on back to back nights out West. No idea how VAN will hold up going forward with this Silovs kid (I keep hearing Shelob from LOTR).

Really impressed by the Joshua - Lindholm - Garland line. Good on the forecheck, physical and generated offense. That’s one of those fun matchup 3rd lines that can be an X-Factor in the playoffs. EDM doesn’t have the depth to counter.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlushMinus

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
These all stink.

Alternatives:
Utah Elders
Utah Missionaries
Utah Bigamists

Kinda like Utah HC. Brash nod to foootball. Yeti’s kinda fun. could do some cool stuff with that.
Future headline: Avalanche bury Yeti.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Yeti would be an awkward choice considering the Avs have a yeti foot as their secondary logo and used to have a yeti as their mascot. Would be kind of like taking their closest rival's sloppy seconds?

Reactions: Calicaps

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I guess the Utah Warren Jeffs just missed the cut?

I think I’m in the minority but some of those names are pretty fun. Yeti, Black Diamonds, Frost, Freeze… all kind of cool and fit Utah well. Sure as shit better than the Commanders.

People always react terribly towards new team names but let’s not act like old teams aren’t shitty and/or unoriginal too. The Browns were literally named after the dude who bought the team. Green Bay… Packers? Yeah, try getting that one introduced today and not being a laughingstock. The New York Knicks are named after a bad pair of pants. Multiple teams are named the Jets and Giants. Beloved sports teams are named after the color of socks. The Detroit Lions are the Lions because their founders thought it sounded nice next to Detroit Tigers — there are no Lions or Tigers in Michigan (except at the zoo). Most team names suck, we just are used to them. I mean, the Wizards? 0/10, straight ass team name.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I guess the Utah Warren Jeffs just missed the cut?

I think I’m in the minority but some of those names are pretty fun. Yeti, Black Diamonds, Frost, Freeze… all kind of cool and fit Utah well. Sure as shit better than the Commanders.

People always react terribly towards new team names but let’s not act like old teams aren’t shitty and/or unoriginal too. The Browns were literally named after the dude who bought the team. Green Bay… Packers? Yeah, try getting that one introduced today and not being a laughingstock. The New York Knicks are named after a bad pair of pants. Multiple teams are named the Jets and Giants. Beloved sports teams are named after the color of socks. The Detroit Lions are the Lions because their founders thought it sounded nice next to Detroit Tigers — there are no Lions or Tigers in Michigan (except at the zoo). Most team names suck, we just are used to them. I mean, the Wizards? 0/10, straight ass team name.
I'm with 99% of this post, but Wizards is a good team name. I know some folks have attachment to the Bullets name, and that's a whole separate conversation, but there's nothing wrong with Wizards as a team name. The alliteration is a bonus.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm with 99% of this post, but Wizards is a good team name. I know some folks have attachment to the Bullets name, and that's a whole separate conversation, but there's nothing wrong with Wizards as a team name. The alliteration is a bonus.
Hard disagree except for the alliteration, but point well taken. It just feels so out of place both geographically and from a color scheme perspective… nothing about red, white, and blue screams Wizards to me. Plus you have the Capitals and Nationals… Wizards feels very random compared to them.

The name itself isn’t terrible and I like the Wiz as a shorthand nickname but it doesn’t feel right as the name for an NBA team in white-color, buttoned-up Washington DC. Would have been a cooler name for a market like Seattle or New Orleans.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Canucks had a bad 1st period, but shut the door on the Oilers the last 2 periods and exposed who the Oilers are, a team with a glorified offense and PP, but a weak D-group and goaltender. We have seen this story before with the early days of Ovechkin, Bruce Boudreau, etc. The Caps defense was meh and the same for their goaltending.

Reactions: YippieKaey

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hard disagree except for the alliteration, but point well taken. It just feels so out of place both geographically and from a color scheme perspective… nothing about red, white, and blue screams Wizards to me. Plus you have the Capitals and Nationals… Wizards feels very random compared to them.

The name itself isn’t terrible and I like the Wiz as a shorthand nickname but it doesn’t feel right as the name for an NBA team in white-color, buttoned-up Washington DC. Would have been a cooler name for a market like Seattle or New Orleans.
The whole Red/White/Blue angle wasn't really present in DC sports in 1997. That's a more modern thing.

In 1997, this was the Capitals jersey:
images

And this was the first Wizards jersey:
hyde0717_1000x1447.jpg

And for reference:
Fantasia-Title-Art-Cropped.jpg

I also think the other half our difference in opinion comes from our view of DC. Half the city is indeed "white collar, buttoned-up." But the other half of the city isn't.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad