League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Yeah I'm going to give some Toronto players the benefit of the doubt when this is what is behind the bench every postseason!

Reactions: marcel snapshot

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I think most here and me included just want the Rangers eliminated. I am for Edmonton with the remaining teams left to win the SCF. I always like them growing up and watched a lot of epic Edmonton playoff series. It's not about McDavid for me, but the memories of watching lots of Oilers playoff games. I wouldn't mind a Oilers/Canes 2006 rematch personally. Roloson or Pisani would have won the MVP that year.
I can't stand the Boston fans and have a bunch of them here on ignore. They are just obnoxious and full of shit. Which takes me to the next paragraph:

Ditto for the Rangers and their fans and will be happy to see them eliminated.

I like the Oilers because they make for exciting hockey games and anything can happen. The same with Colorado but I like them a little more because I think MacKinnon is individually the most spectacular player in the league. (also a big Rantanen fan).

In the East my preference would be Florida to make it to the finals. I don't mind them winning a Cup. I admire Tkachuk's competitiveness and ability to rally his team. Really like Barkov and Bobrovsky as well.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I can't stand the Boston fans and have a bunch of them here on ignore. They are just obnoxious and full of shit. Which takes me to the next paragraph:

I like the Oilers because they make for exciting hockey games and anything can happen. The same with Colorado but I like them a little more because I think MacKinnon is individually the most spectacular player in the league. (also a big Rantanen fan).

In the East my preference would be Florida to make it to the finals. I don't mind them winning a Cup. I admire Tkachuk's competitiveness and ability to rally his team. Really like Barkov and Bobrovsky as well.
Panthers look like the team to beat, both East and West! Would like to see the Canes/Panthers in the ECF. West, Canucks/Avs. If the Stars prevail in Game 7, then Canucks/Stars in WCF.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

Lol, liking fans is another thing. No doubt the East is bad.

Reactions: PlushMinus

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Poor Sammy. Had a really great Game 7 and then ultimately has a little snafu sleepy moment and he is once again labeled choker.

P.S I would love Marner on the team but he isn't coming to the Capitals D.S

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Your characterization is exactly how I hope the Leafs feel about him, because that could mean a huge bargain could be had. It's a shallow analysis that a professional organization shouldn't make, but on the other hand they continually make decisions that even armchair GMs know are destined to fail so who knows?
Is it shallow or is blaming the coach? What did Keefe have to work with? A busted Matthews and a recovering Nylander? Yet they still brought it to the brink. They're not built to win without their top guys at their best and Marner wasn't among them either. There's no consistency compared to something like TBL's core guys that consistently were balls to the wall. Keefe isn't why that hasn't materialized over the years, it's the style of their games and often a lack of second effort.

The bigger issue is upstairs and how for years they've not even been structured to win closer contests. Reilly isn't the #1 needed. Depth often hasn't been present thanks to being so top-heavy. I think this year's team may have been their best in years and yet Tavares will be a year older. Maybe Woll continues developing and they at least have an answer in net. Otherwise it's hard to figure how they'll come back better. Bertuzzi & Domi walking potentially crushes middle six quality. Cowan may or may not be ready and they have one or two other prospects that may help.

Marner should be moved, likely to upgrade their top 4 D and maybe a middle six forward, but what's the value of a pending UFA Marner who doesn't seem inclined to settle for less than market value? What's the structural fit at RW if we assume Wilson still isn't going anywhere and Leonard will soon be in the mix? Pieces can be moved around to some extent but, in addition to the PP fit issue, it's hard to say this is obviously the player to target. Based on raw skill and top-end availability, yes. But we've seen how far that in itself takes teams. He'd certainly help. He'd help the 895 chase. Surely he's an upgrade over their bare mix...but I don't think is a TJ Oshie situation where getting out of Toronto fixes his rep.

I'd take Marner for a song if Toronto wants to dump his contract. If nothing else they could sell him at the deadline. I'd even move Jensen or TVR if need be. But what's a realistic offer that doesn't involve a fantasy Tom Wilson trade?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
No trade makes sense unless Tom Wilson is involved. If that's the constraint for some silly reason then of course it's not going to work. But why work under that constraint? Why hamstring the team like that?

It's funny how Marner's next contract is getting everyone worried yet the dude whose 7 year extension hasn't even kicked in just put up a 35 point season and he's untouchable?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: g00n

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No trade makes sense unless Tom Wilson is involved. If that's the constraint for some silly reason then of course it's not going to work. But why work under that constraint? Why hamstring the team like that?

It's funny how Marner's next contract is getting everyone worried yet the dude whose 7 year extension hasn't even kicked in just put up a 35 point season and he's untouchable?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It is what it is.

Indeed, which leads me to ask what is the path to making a significant upgrade this offseason? Trading their first round pick? Seems like a bad idea to me. Do they have any other assets of value? Hard to imagine Jensen/TVR/McMichael getting much of a return.

Feels like it's going to be a repeat of last offseason where they say they want to upgrade but prices are just "too high".

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If Wilson’s extension is so bad, Toronto isn’t taking it in exchange. Why do all your trade ideas start with the fantasy of the other team overvaluing our guy?

Such an odd fixation on a player since he was like 18….

Reactions: RedRocking and g00n

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Washington's main asset will be cap space and it's how they need to pitch any significant deal (ala Hertl). But it may be difficult for them to know exactly what they're working with until there's resolution with Oshie. Will he know in 4-6 weeks whether he's found a solution? Can they manage to quickly find a taker for Kuemper?

Marner as a distressed asset is a fine target in theory. For a team not super close with a lot of flexibility he may be the best available talent this off-season. But talent isn't everything and, again, hard to imagine the PP fit being optimal. I'd be surprised if simply getting out of Toronto leads to him growing up and there's the also tendency to not take team-friendly deals that makes an extension difficult. Toronto should be motivated to move on so an acquiring team could do well in a deal. Does Toronto more of a hockey trade or is it more of a dump involving futures so that they can retain Bertuzzi/Domi and more? Seems like at worst the Caps will have around Marner's AAV to spend. Perhaps more. Perhaps considerably more. You'd think at least that the Caps will be among the most motivated to spend.

The Carbery connection is advantagous. If nothing else Marner could be a valuable addition to be flipped at the deadline if available at cut rate. But even as a straight cap dump experiment you wonder whether it's best to add one $11M player compared to 8+3/7+4/6+5. This team lacks top-end but also lacks depth. Lacks formidable threats from the back-end. So it's hard to say for sure whether loading up is the right play. They'd need to do well (again) on the margins/scrapheap and likely should be inclined to make additional changes.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
All this Marner talk. haha

Just look at him and disconnected controller Nylander on the final play.

Also, check him out in the handshake line. Looks like a little kid meeting a bunch of vikings after they've torched his village. A stiff wind would knock him over. No thanks.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The best target of that bunch is obviously Matthews but he isn’t going anywhere unless he demands a trade. Then I’d again take Nylander over Marner any day of the week.

If the Caps spend assets to acquire a player they better be getting someone committed long term. I’d also preferably target a top 6 center as opposed to a winger. Wingers are easier to find. Legit top 6 centers are obviously more difficult to find.

Edit: Playoff performer Marner with 3 points in the series in 7 games as opposed to lesser William Nylander scoring 3 goals in 4 games. Yikes.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
All this Marner talk. haha

Just look at him and disconnected controller Nylander on the final play.

Also, check him out in the handshake line. Looks like a little kid meeting a bunch of vikings after they've torched his village. A stiff wind would knock him over. No thanks.

I dunno. He’s fine? his helmet is tilted back…..and?

Seems like we are trying to see something to fit a narrative.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Not really...maybe it's 2 days of rain here in DC and I'm nitpicking to stem the pro-marner lobby.

Very DC thing to say
Roger that. I’m not really sure what to think of Marner.

On one hand, he’s part of this “losing culture” that seems to have invaded Leaf Land the past however many years. It’s an enormous amount of pressure, and people obv perform diff under pressure. Which is NOT a ringing endorsement of the player.

On the other hand, if he were a “winner” and had been doing so in the NHL, we sure as hell wouldn’t be having a discussion about acquiring him. He wouldn’t be close to available.

So?? 50/50 for me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad