Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Doing well Schiefele!!

Keep it up

Jets going to need you , to make the playoff

Cavalry's coming

Trouba
little

And hope coach Mo, just ride a goalie instead of alternating them.

And Big Buff is due:)

Go Jets Go!

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Care to make an avatar bet, and look back in 15 years?

:laugh:

When I saw the Scheifele pick I was like WTF, Couturier is right there. But even then I said, I'll give our GM the shot and see what this kid becomes. Every year it seems more and more fitting that he was the first pick for the Jets 2.0. Absolute stud in every way and his dedication and motivation is something to marvel at. Would love a top-5 in scoring end for this season.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Cutting it off at that number of games instead of going back further is a completely random sample of games other than the fact it's when he's put up his best stats. It's definitely cherry picking.

its not cherry picking because that's when he got the chance to be the one C.

It's nOt his fault coaches often give vets the nod over young players.

[MOD]

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Cutting it off at that number of games instead of going back further is a completely random sample of games other than the fact it's when he's put up his best stats. It's definitely cherry picking.
It’s a short sample but not cherry picking. It’s timed to the Little injury. Prior to that Scheifele was more in a #2 or 1B role. After the Little injury he was on the top PP as get #1C min, which means both more ice time but tougher matchups as well.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
You can tell this guy "gets it". Someone who loves hockey, which is a huge quality when identifying talent (yes, obviously you need ability as well). Seems like the guy has a drive like Crosby to get better every year. I'm a fan, he'll be considered a top 10 center someday soon. Good on the Jets scouting department :handclap:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
He's always been a solid player, but really emerged last year. He obviously won't keep this production up because he is shooting at 23% and Laine at 25%, but he definitely could have a claim to the top 10 in scoring this year.

Shooting percentage is pretty irrelevant given how many "dirty goals" he's scored. From memory he's probably put in half his goals at least just banging home rebounds in the midst of netfront chaos. He's had a few nice shots too, but he's definitely not relying on some kind of unsustainable lucky streak of shooting from anywhere so to speak. I don't think it's an argument that needs to be made right now.

Goal 1 vs Carolina: Two on One turn over, Wheeler passes across to Scheifele on his forehand for a quick shot top right corner.
Goal 2 vs Minnesota: 6on5 Laine the extra man fires a one timer from the blue line, goalie falls down on his butt and Scheifele picks up the rebound goal from just over 5 feet out.
Goal 3 vs Toronto: Scheifele feeds Morrissey for a one timer that gets blocked in the high slot by Marner only to find Scheifele's stick, Scheifele fires it home top left corner before the goalie can react.
Goal 4 vs Dallas: 6on5 Laine fires from the blue line up high off the goalie, Scheifele and Lowry are battling for the rebound and Scheifele puts it home.
Goal 5 vs Washington: Wheeler goes godmode with the puck along the boards and dishes the puck to Scheifele for a quick shot that's stopped, the rebound shoots out towards the corner but Scheifele finds it quickly and bangs it past the goalie.
Goal 6 vs Detroit: 3on2 rush, Laine gets the puck and drives the net, the rebound is banged home by Scheifele.
Goal 7 vs Rangers: Ehlers spins back off the rush and finds Postma trailing for the shot, the goalie can't handle it and Scheifele skates in and bangs home a loose puck in the crease.
Goal 8 vs Dallas: 3on1 break off of a blocked shot in the Jets zone, Ehlers saucers a nice pass over the defensemans stick to Scheifele who fires it in off the side of the goalie sliding across the net.
Goal 9 vs Dallas: PPG, Petan throws the defenseman off by skating down towards the net on his off wing only to feed a quick back hand to Scheifele who blasts it top left corner with Wheeler screening the goalie.

Just thought I'd illustrate the sequences of goals for those who might wonder and obviously don't have the time to watch every single hockey game played across the league.

Last edited:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Shooting percentage is pretty irrelevant given how many "dirty goals" he's scored. From memory he's probably put in half his goals at least just banging home rebounds in the midst of netfront chaos. He's had a few nice shots too, but he's definitely not relying on some kind of unsustainable lucky streak of shooting from anywhere so to speak. I don't think it's an argument that needs to be made right now.

Well, it sure needs to be considered if you're going to project his production over the full season. I'm pretty sure he won't keep his current scoring pace. 70 points is looking very realistic right now. Anything more, and I'd say you're being too optimistic.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Well, it sure needs to be considered if you're going to project his production over the full season. I'm pretty sure he won't keep his current scoring pace. 70 points is looking very realistic right now. Anything more, and I'd say you're being too optimistic.

Since last season, February 17th that is, when Bryan Little was injured for the remainder of the season, Scheifele has led the NHL in points. It should also be noted that Bryan Little was injured in the first game of this year and thus Scheifele is in the same position as our only top 6 center and has completely begun to thrive.

This is how he compares to the rest of the NHL's production since Bryan Little's Feb 17th injury forcing him to take the top center role on the team. I feel like he's done nothing but continue his superb play from last season, from the WC on Team Canada, to Team North America at the NHL's WC, to the NHL regular season. Surely a 40 game sample is much stronger than a 14 game sample you would agree?

3cc74f7f8e70798203fc11138ae116f3.png

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I remember there was a post back in like August or something when people said they wouldn't trade Toews for Schiefele because of intangibles, where is your Toews now?
Kicking back captaining three Cup winning teams, perhaps?

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Since last season, February 17th that is, when Bryan Little was injured for the remainder of the season, Scheifele has led the NHL in points. It should also be noted that Bryan Little was injured in the first game of this year and thus Scheifele is in the same position as our only top 6 center and has completely begun to thrive.

This is how he compares to the rest of the NHL's production since Bryan Little's Feb 17th injury forcing him to take the top center role on the team. I feel like he's done nothing but continue his superb play from last season, from the WC on Team Canada, to Team North America at the NHL's WC, to the NHL regular season. Surely a 40 game sample is much stronger than a 14 game sample you would agree?

3cc74f7f8e70798203fc11138ae116f3.png
Yeah, of course 40 game stretch is a better indicator than 14 but it's still quite different from playing all 82 games in a season. There are ups and downs and I don't see Scheifele as being a 100-point player, which is what his 40-game stretch suggests.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah, of course 40 game stretch is a better indicator than 14 but it's still quite different from playing all 82 games in a season. There are ups and downs and I don't see Scheifele as being a 100-point player, which is what his 40-game stretch suggests.

I think it's hard for any player to be a 100 point player in today's league, I'm not saying he does it, just making sure people who don't have the time to watch him play don't take some guy looking at a shooting% stats word over the reality of Scheifele's hard working play style paying off. He's getting the dirty goals, the tough ones around the crease and it doesn't hurt that he's got two of the most skilled young players on his wings for the foreseeable future to feed pucks to as well. I should also mention I feel like even though he had some production early on, his play wasn't as good as it is in these last few games regarding the "ups and downs". Being productive while not playing his best hockey, if he can do that fairly consistently it bodes well for his production over the season.

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016
I'm a Jets fan and love what Scheifele's been doing this year. However, some of us hometown fans need to pump the brakes a bit; no one here is saying that he isn't good or that he can't become that top ten centre.

Very reasonably, the assertion is that he needs more to back up that claim. I doubt 55 falls into this trap, but many players regress, plateau, or stagnate with their game. "Top ten centre in the NHL" asserts an elite player and this kind of claim needs more proof that an amazing 40 game stretch.

It's the same situation with Laine vs Matthews: 1 game into the season and big claims were made of the superiority of Matthews. Now 14 games into the season and pendulum has swung to the other side for people claiming Laine is easily better. The kids are a dozen games into a 15 year career - it's much too early for concrete statements.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Been saying this since the World Hockey Championships where his line was the best with Mark Stone. Also made things easier for McDavid in the World Cup while not playing his natural position. I think he is also playing with a pretty good player in Laine right now, when you play with a sniper of this caliber, your points totals will go up. But yes, Scheifele is pretty good, and the best thing is he is still just 23.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
50 points in his last 39 games. That's definitely not a fluke or a small sample size. Add that to the eye test, he's proven that he's an elite player at this point in time. Will be very interested to see where he finishes in scoring, but I think top-10 is very doable for him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You can tell this guy "gets it". Someone who loves hockey, which is a huge quality when identifying talent (yes, obviously you need ability as well). Seems like the guy has a drive like Crosby to get better every year. I'm a fan, he'll be considered a top 10 center someday soon. Good on the Jets scouting department :handclap:

Yup. What makes him special is his amazing work ethic and his desire to be the very best.

Really glad that the Jets have him locked up for 8 years at a decent cap hit. He's going to a be an important core player for a long time, and the future leader of the team.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
FWIW I think Scheifele struggled out of the gate. His possession numbers were down and he was spending a lot more time in his own zone than normal. Getting some healthy D back seems to have helped, as has the recent play of Ehlers who’s been terrorizing D-men with his ability to make plays at high speed. The biggest thing, though, is that since he’s been on a line with Laine and Ehlers he’s taken the lead in winning puck battles and playing a more physical game.

Something similar happened last year after the Little injury where he seemed to recognise that he needed to take charge offensively. At that point he started to shoot more and his shot scares teams so it opened up passing lanes and created opportunities for other players. With Laine being an even more dangerous shooter that line is starting to get a really nice dynamic. Ehlers and Scheifele are backing teams off with their speed to get some easy zone entries. All three can really shoot the puck but Ehlers is settling into the playmaker role and teams can’t take away all the shooters.

Wheeler was great in that role as well, and may end up back there but he doesn’t pass as well as Ehlers, his game is more about drawing the play to him with his size and speed and then making a short pass. Ehlers can make al the cross seam passes and can score from range if anyone cheats. If they keep playing this way I can see Wheeler moved back with Little when he returns. I’d like to see Dano with them, but he never seems to get the respect he deserves. I think that line could deliver a lot of the same things as Ladd – Little – Wheeler did over the years but without the pressure of having to carry the team themselves.

Nov 24, 2006
This is all absolutely because of the effort he puts in with Roberts in the offseason. Ridiculously dedicated athlete.

This needs to be highlighted repeatedly. Scheifele was considered a reach on draft day, and his first couple of years confirmed that reach IMO. I've never seen an NHL player fall as much as Scheifele did in his first few years. He has spent countless hours, weeks, and months overcoming what was a pretty big weakness in his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad