NHL Rank the 4 best hockey cities in Canada

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

In order which is the best 4 NHL Canadian hockey cities in your own opinion?and why?

• Vancouver Canucks

• Winnipeg Jets

• Montreal Canadiens

• Toronto MapleLeafs

• Ottawa Senators

• Edmonton Oilers

• Calgary Flames

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Montreal is by far #1. The others are all hot markets. Toronto has a huge population so just by numbers they would be second. The rest tie for third.
I wonder which US market is closest to a Canadian market for hockey passion, if any?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
1. Montreal. This one is obvious. Though I will say interest has waned a lot it seems in recent years. If Habs can put together a contending team, and win a couple of cups/seriously contend for ~5-7 straight years in the next 10 years - I think it'll be night and day what people will say about passion for hockey in Montreal then vs what it has been past ~10-15 years. Still #1 though

2. Toronto. Huge city so many fans. In some ways, it's more about volume than passion, but they certainly are passionate and rank #2

3. Vancouver. Kind of going by biggest city again, but certainly passionate fans

4. Edmonton. McDavid helps. The Gretzky legacy helps.

That's how I'd rank them.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Per capita or total?

If it's total, then just go by population.

Like, if Toronto is 5 million people, and Ottawa is 1 million people...

If Toronto has 3% of it's population classified as die hards...and Ottawa had 5% of its population classified as die hards, who would be the better hockey city?

Because Ottawa is full of fans of Montreal, Toronto, Boston, etc

I also walk down Toronto streets and see sooooo many immigrants that are traditionally not super big hockey fans.

So if 9/10 people in Toronto don't know who shesterkin is, but only 8/10 in Ottawa don't know who shesterkin is...does that make Ottawa the better hockey city despite having less overall fans?

Because I'm almost 100% certain of these 2 facts:

1) Toronto has significantly more total hockey fans than Ottawa.

2) Ottawa has significantly more total hockey fans per capita than Toronto.

So is it a total thing, or a percentage thing?

If it's total, just go by population...Toronto>Montreal>Vancouver...but if it's a per capita discussion, then it gets a lot more interesting...we could look at tv ratings within each city...minor hockey player participants within each city divided by population...etc.

I just think Toronto has so many immigrants and other sports that are more popular with those cultures to the point that per capita, they are nowhere near first, yet total, they are undoubtedly first.

So which one is it?

Reactions: jigglysquishy

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Per capita or total?

If Toronto has 3% of it's population classified as die hards...and Ottawa had 5% of its population classified as die hards, who would be the better hockey city?

I also walk down Toronto streets and see sooooo many immigrants that are traditionally not super big hockey fans.

So if 9/10 people in Toronto don't know who shesterkin is, but only 8/10 in Ottawa don't know who shesterkin is...does that make Ottawa the better hockey city despite having less overall fans?

If it's total, just go by population...Toronto>Montreal>Vancouver...but if it's a per capita discussion, then it gets a lot more interesting...we could look at tv ratings within each city...minor hockey player participants within each city divided by population...etc.

I just think Toronto has so many immigrants and other sports that are more popular with those cultures to the point that per capita, they are nowhere near first, yet total, they are undoubtedly first.

So which one is it?
The total population has nothing to do with this poll example if a city has a smaller population but a bigger passion and support for thier team they wins.So the meaning of this poll is the cities heart and support of thier NHL team.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Per capita, something like

1. Edmonton
2. Winnipeg
3. Calgary
4. Montreal
5. Vancouver
6. Ottawa
7. Toronto

Total fans, something like

1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Vancouver
4. Edmonton
5. Calgary
6. Ottawa
7. Winnipeg

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
In terms of true hockey crazy fans willing to go above and beyond to show their support, I don't know if any of the others beat out Edmonton and Montreal. Like it's next level how much time, effort and resources these fans will go to show support for their team or pull out the red carpet for their team.

I'm not talking delusional idiots. I mean the type of people who go and will paint their garage for a hockey moment type fandom. People you wouldn't mind as part of your fanbase if they swapped allegiances (but obviously they'd never swap).

Other teams don't get close. They'll have people replicate some of the stuff Oilers and Montreal do, but not the overall amount of diehards that will fit into their arenas on a regular basis. Yes, IMO that includes Toronto.

Even as a Flames fan, our fandom has cooled significantly due to the recent situations and direction of the team. Oilers fandom as a whole never cooled to that level (albeit the jersey toss stuff was a bit much). I'd have to give them props for that.

Per capita or total?

So which one is it?

IMO I view it by arena. Instead of going by weird metrics, I go by the typical average for the type of passion and shenanigans each city packs into their arena on a nightly basis. The arena "bottleneck" seems to help level things out a lot for each team.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The total population has nothing to do with this poll example if a city has a smaller population but a bigger passion and support for thier team they wins.So the meaning of this poll is the cities heart and support of thier NHL team.

But people are literally ranking Toronto one specifically because the city has the biggest population. Perhaps you should clarify that you mean "per capita" and not "total"?

Also, what you just said about "support of their NHL team" is also very different than the title.

For example, Ottawa has a lot of die hard Montreal and Toronto fans. Do these count as fans in Ottawa seeing as they live in Ottawa?

Your question can be interpreted many different ways since you're not being specific and/or contradicting yourself.

Because a Toronto or Montreal fan living in Ottawa won't contribute to supporting the senators, but they will contribute as a hockey crazy city.

For example, everyone admits sens/Leafs games are louder in Ottawa than Toronto. The building is split...but do those leaf fans that live in Kanata, Nepean, Gloucester, Orleans,etc count as Ottawa hockey fans or not?

Because on one hand your asking about people from a city, and then you clarify by saying how much support their NHL team gets. Those are 2 very different questions.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
In terms of true hockey crazy fans willing to go above and beyond to show their support, I don't know if any of the others beat out Edmonton and Montreal. Like it's next level how much time, effort and resources these fans will go to show support for their team or pull out the red carpet for their team.

I'm not talking delusional idiots. I mean the type of people who go and will paint their garage for a hockey moment type fandom. People you wouldn't mind as part of your fanbase if they swapped allegiances (but obviously they'd never swap).

Other teams don't get close. They'll have people replicate some of the stuff Oilers and Montreal do, but not the overall amount of diehards that will fit into their arenas on a regular basis. Yes, IMO that includes Toronto.

Even as a Flames fan, our fandom has cooled significantly due to the recent situations and direction of the team. Oilers fandom as a whole never cooled to that level (albeit the jersey toss stuff was a bit much). I'd have to give them props for that.

IMO I view it by arena. Instead of going by weird metrics, I go by the typical average for the type of passion and shenanigans each city packs into their arena on a nightly basis. The arena "bottleneck" seems to help level things out a lot for each team.

See, but that's very different. That becomes a Canucks vs Leafs vs Habs etc question and not a Vancouver vs Toronto vs Montreal question.

So are we asking about which TEAMS have more fans, or which CITIES have more fans? Because those are two very different questions.

Like half of hockey fans in Ottawa don't cheer for the senators, but they are still rabid hockey fans living in Ottawa cheering for the Leafs or habs. Do they count as Ottawa or Montreal/toronto?

Are the thousands and thousands of die hard Leafs and habs fans living in Ottawa count as Montreal, Toronto, or Ottawa fans? Is it based on the team they cheer for or where they live?

Would be nice to have these explained and decided before people start voting lol

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
1. Montreal. This one is obvious. Though I will say interest has waned a lot it seems in recent years. If Habs can put together a contending team, and win a couple of cups/seriously contend for ~5-7 straight years in the next 10 years - I think it'll be night and day what people will say about passion for hockey in Montreal then vs what it has been past ~10-15 years. Still #1 though

2. Toronto. Huge city so many fans. In some ways, it's more about volume than passion, but they certainly are passionate and rank #2

3. Vancouver. Kind of going by biggest city again, but certainly passionate fans

4. Edmonton. McDavid helps. The Gretzky legacy helps.

That's how I'd rank them.

This

Reactions: wetcoast

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Per capita or total?

So which one is it?

The parameters weren't most hockey fans total or most hockey fans per capita. It was "passion hockey interest media and so on", which is subjective and open to interpretation.

Toronto has the NHL headquarters, the hockey hall of fame and is the anglo hockey media mecca, together with a lot of hockey events and teams. You could credibly argue they're first without mentioning fans.

Reactions: wetcoast

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
See, but that's very different. That becomes a Canucks vs Leafs vs Habs etc question and not a Vancouver vs Toronto vs Montreal question.

So are we asking about which TEAMS have more fans, or which CITIES have more fans? Because those are two very different questions.

Like half of hockey fans in Ottawa don't cheer for the senators, but they are still rabid hockey fans living in Ottawa cheering for the Leafs or habs. Do they count as Ottawa or Montreal/toronto?

Are the thousands and thousands of die hard Leafs and habs fans living in Ottawa count as Montreal, Toronto, or Ottawa fans? Is it based on the team they cheer for or where they live?

Would be nice to have these explained and decided before people start voting lol

Sure. But can't you see that your struggle is the fact that the target keeps moving? If you want to define different targets and then explain who is closer, absolutely do it. I'm certain many other posters are confused and struggling with understanding the context just as you are. That's why I personally choose arenas. I don't actively immerse myself with the fandom of other teams. The best I can go off of is when I see the opposition arena in the streams/on TV.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The parameters weren't most hockey fans total or most hockey fans per capita. It was "passion hockey interest media and so on", which is subjective and open to interpretation.

Toronto has the NHL headquarters, the hockey hall of fame and is the anglo hockey media mecca, together with a lot of hockey events and teams. You could credibly argue they're first without mentioning fans.

Sure. Same with new York in the states...but doesn't mean their average citizen is the biggest hockey fan. You could have way greater luck walking the streets of Minneapolis trying to find a knowledgeable hockey fan than you would be walking in Manhattan.

I agree there's so many different ways to interpret it which is why I'm asking clarification.

For example, first two replies mentioned Toronto and specifically because the city is so big or populated...but then op clarifies that it has nothing to do with total fans...

And in the title, he's talking about cities specifically...but then when he quoted me, he said about team support, which is totally different than fans within the city.

If you want total team support, just go look at team revenue and call it a day.

If you want to know which city has more hockey fans per capita in general, then their hockey teams are irrelevant as they could be fans of other teams in other cities.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Sure. But can't you see that your struggle is the fact that the target keeps moving? If you want to define different targets and then explain who is closer, absolutely do it. I'm certain many other posters are confused and struggling with understanding the context just as you are. That's why I personally choose arenas. I don't actively immerse myself with the fandom of other teams. The best I can go off of is when I see the opposition arena in the streams/on TV.

And I can't fault you or blame you for choosing the criteria you did.

I would just say that team support and hockey support or even NHL support are 3 very different subjects.

Team support? Look at attendance or revenue as you did.

NHL support? Might be hard...maybe look at how many away fans are in these buildings...but it's more of a grey area.

Hockey support? Look at the amount of hockey players in minor sports divided by city population...or look at how well the attendance is for other events...junior hockey...world Juniors...hockey championships...any type of international event.

I use Ottawa as an example. They probably have the worst team support...maybe next to Winnipeg...but if the subject is NHL support, I think they jump up the list.

I grew up a die hard sens fan looking to talk or connect with any other hockey fans. I knew way more die hard Toronto and Montreal fans growing up than I did sens fans. So if all these die hard Montreal and Toronto fans living in Ottawa count as NHL support/fans, then Ottawa does very well, and I'd argue better than Toronto. I've spent a lot of my life in and out of Toronto and because it's such a giant international melting pot, hockey is lower down the list of priorities for your average Toronto citizen vs your average Ottawa citizen.

Reactions: Figgy44

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
And I can't fault you or blame you for choosing the criteria you did.

I would just say that team support and hockey support or even NHL support are 3 very different subjects.

Team support? Look at attendance or revenue as you did.

NHL support? Might be hard...maybe look at how many away fans are in these buildings...but it's more of a grey area.

Hockey support? Look at the amount of hockey players in minor sports divided by city population...or look at how well the attendance is for other events...junior hockey...world Juniors...hockey championships...any type of international event.

I use Ottawa as an example. They probably have the worst team support...maybe next to Winnipeg...but if the subject is NHL support, I think they jump up the list.

I grew up a die hard sens fan looking to talk or connect with any other hockey fans. I knew way more die hard Toronto and Montreal fans growing up than I did sens fans. So if all these die hard Montreal and Toronto fans living in Ottawa count as NHL support/fans, then Ottawa does very well, and I'd argue better than Toronto. I've spent a lot of my life in and out of Toronto and because it's such a giant international melting pot, hockey is lower down the list of priorities for your average Toronto citizen vs your average Ottawa citizen.

If you hash our your calculations, I'm sure others might chime in and add to the idea to flesh it out further.

I'd say that the arena metric I use is multiple. One is actual total numbers of the extremely decked out fans and another is a ball park ratio of home team jerseys, no-jersey, empty seats and opposition jerseys.

I also believe that the wording of OP's post did imply there might be more than one metric.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Montreal/Edmonton/Toronto/Winnipeg

All four have loyal fans and portions of die hard fans. Toronto seems oddly corporate relative to before and the other teams on the list. Vancouver has the population advantage and appeared last season briefly but that’s about it. Hockey dies in Calgary.

Reactions: SwissLeaf

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Only contrarian people that hate both Montréal and Toronto for some obscure reasons are fans of Ottawa

Toronto is #2 because they somehow have lots of fans despite the fact that their team sucked for a decade, and all that to become a joke of a team that can't go further than a 1st round. That's dedication, almost like a toxic relationship IMO

Vancouver and Edmonton are #3 and #4

Montréal is obviously #1, being a Habs fan is basically part of our national identity in Québec

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
If you hash our your calculations, I'm sure others might chime in and add to the idea to flesh it out further.

I'd say that the arena metric I use is multiple. One is actual total numbers of the extremely decked out fans and another is a ball park ratio of home team jerseys, no-jersey, empty seats and opposition jerseys.

I also believe that the wording of OP's post did imply there might be more than one metric.

I would love to add my calculations and findings, but I first need to know what the criteria is.

I've already asked. Do rabid Canadiens fans living in Ottawa count as Ottawa or Montreal?

Using one metric, I could have Toronto first, while using another metric, I could have Toronto last.

Im trying to figure out what the metrics are.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
I would love to add my calculations and findings, but I first need to know what the criteria is.

I've already asked. Do rabid Canadiens fans living in Ottawa count as Ottawa or Montreal?

Using one metric, I could have Toronto first, while using another metric, I could have Toronto last.

Im trying to figure out what the metrics are.

That's what I'm saying. Determine your own. I think fans outside of the city is a separate metric from fans within a city and worth showing independently of each other.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
That's what I'm saying. Determine your own. I think fans outside of the city is a separate metric from fans within a city and worth showing independently of each other.

I don't have stats on this, but I will say this.

I could have Ottawa dead last for senators support even per capita...

But I would have Ottawa near the top because of these factors.

Ottawa has the biggest population of leaf fans outside of the GTA. Ottawa has the biggest population of habs fans outside of Montreal.

We also have a bunch of fans who didn't want to cheer for either and didn't have a team here yet, so go for other Original 6 teams. Lots of hawks fans here. Lots of Bruins fans here. Lots of wings fans here. Ottawa breaks records for attendance for international things or junior events or whatever. So the fans are there for hockey even if not for the senators.

So I would put Ottawa near the top in terms of your average citizens hockey fandom or knowledge.

But I would put them last or second last in sens fans per capita and total sens fans.

So it depends if you value it as "Ottawa the city" or "the Ottawa Senators".

And that's all I have to say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad