GDT: NHL Prospects Challenge in Buffalo (CBJ vs BUF, BOS, OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How many games will the young Jackets win?

Votes: 1 9.1%

Votes: 4 36.4%

Votes: 6 54.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Mateychuk really is something else. He may not have an overly flashy style, and he’s going to get outmuscled at times, but, he’s such a great skater and such a SMART player. He’s all over the ice. He’ll only get more impactful defensively as he grows older and physically stronger. He may not have that booming point shot that many become infatuated with, but, he has a good accurate shot that he times very well, that was also shown in the earlier goal that Brindley was in front of the net on, and who I thought tipped the puck/got the goal. His “vision” and passing, and overall “awareness” is ELITE. That pass to end the game….

Brindley looks good. Will he or should he start with Columbus, I don’t know. Probably need an injury to another (“scoring”) winger to make the big team, though he already looks better than somebody like Sillinger. I’m very interested in how the center position and lineup/depth chart decisions play out.

McCue and Malatesta will be a pain in the ass to other teams in the AHL, Malatesta looks to be the better player right now and looks like a capable NHL 4th liner.

I’m continually impressed by McKown when I watch him play. I think he needs to simplify his game a bit, and I’m not sure how he’ll handle defensive responsibilities (and faceoffs) at the NHL level, but, looking at his overall skill or ability, if players are really given roster spots based on “merit”, guys like Kuraly and Sillinger, and to a lesser extent Danforth, should be the guys being sent to the AHL or sitting in the press box.

Elick looks good. I’ll need to see/watch more. Seems to be a more skilled, better skating Peeke, who can actually fight.

And last, but, not least, Evan Gardner. What do we have here?? 1st time watching the kid/dude….didn’t really give much attention to the team drafting him pretty high. He looks quite good positionally, good movement, and rebound control. That’s all I’ll say after 1 prospect game, but, he should probably be looked at as just as intriguing as Ivanov, IMO.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Mateychuk could be our next Kris Russell.
Elaborate please….So I know how to react to this.

I’m somebody who was a fan of both Kris Russell and Ryan Murray and of the opinion that both were UNDERAPPRECIATED. Murray was the better overall player. What a “healthy” Ryan Murray could have been, who knows. Russell is somebody the organization should have kept around.

Mateychuk has the skating ability of Kris Russell, the “defensive awareness” of Murray, along with having the passing and offensive instincts and skills that each of Murray (who was a great passer) and Russell only showed glimpses of at certain times. Mateychuk is on a completely different level than those guys were offensively.

Reactions: CannonFire1

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Elaborate please….So I know how to react to this.

I’m somebody who was a fan of both Kris Russell and Ryan Murray and of the opinion that both were UNDERAPPRECIATED. Murray was the better overall player. What a “healthy” Ryan Murray could have been, who knows. Russell is somebody the organization should have kept around.

Mateychuk has the skating ability of Kris Russell, the “defensive awareness” of Murray, along with having the passing and offensive instincts and skills that each of Murray (who was a great passer) and Russell only showed glimpses of at certain times. Mateychuk is on a completely different level than those guys were offensively.
I think you've done a good job with your assessment. I'll add that Russell was great at setting up the offense. I can see Mateychuk with a similar number of assists. Also, I'm intentional trying not to get overly-excited about any of our own prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think you've done a good job with your assessment. I'll add that Russell was great at setting up the offense. I can see Mateychuk with a similar number of assists. Also, I'm intentional trying not to overprotect our own prospects.

My issue with this is that, while I agree Russel was good offensively and we could debate the semantics of what “great” means, and points and scoring was a bit different in the past, Russell topped out at 18 assists/23 points with the CBJ, and 30 assists/34 points as his career high.

I could see Mateychuk hit that 30/34 number in his rookie year playing 70+ games. I’m talking/thinking 50+ assists in the very near future. I’m that high on Mateychuk. He could be a very good “set up man” for Werenski and his ability as a shooter, as his D partner, and his skating would make up for the deficiencies I believe Werenski has getting around the ice quickly.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
My issue with this is that, while I agree Russel was good offensively and we could debate the semantics of what “great” means, and points and scoring was a bit different in the past, Russell topped out at 18 assists/23 points with the CBJ, and 30 assists/34 points as his career high.

I could see Mateychuk hit that 30/34 number in his rookie year playing 70+ games. I’m talking/thinking 50+ assists in the very near future. I’m that high on Mateychuk. He could be a very good “set up man” for Werenski and his ability as a shooter, as his D partner, and his skating would make up for the deficiencies I believe Werenski has getting around the ice quickly.
I want you to be right.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Elick looks good. I’ll need to see/watch more. Seems to be a more skilled, better skating Peeke, who can actually fight.

I've heard this enough and I think the people saying it never got Peeke in the first place. Andrew Peeke is a great skater and has plenty enough skill to show off in a scrimmage type of setting. It's under pressure in the NHL that his puck decisions are an issue (though less so in Boston), and that's the same exact dilemma with Charlie Elick.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Mateychuk really is something else. He may not have an overly flashy style, and he’s going to get outmuscled at times, but, he’s such a great skater and such a SMART player. He’s all over the ice. He’ll only get more impactful defensively as he grows older and physically stronger. He may not have that booming point shot that many become infatuated with, but, he has a good accurate shot that he times very well, that was also shown in the earlier goal that Brindley was in front of the net on, and who I thought tipped the puck/got the goal. His “vision” and passing, and overall “awareness” is ELITE. That pass to end the game….

Brindley looks good. Will he or should he start with Columbus, I don’t know. Probably need an injury to another (“scoring”) winger to make the big team, though he already looks better than somebody like Sillinger. I’m very interested in how the center position and lineup/depth chart decisions play out.

McCue and Malatesta will be a pain in the ass to other teams in the AHL, Malatesta looks to be the better player right now and looks like a capable NHL 4th liner.

I’m continually impressed by McKown when I watch him play. I think he needs to simplify his game a bit, and I’m not sure how he’ll handle defensive responsibilities (and faceoffs) at the NHL level, but, looking at his overall skill or ability, if players are really given roster spots based on “merit”, guys like Kuraly and Sillinger, and to a lesser extent Danforth, should be the guys being sent to the AHL or sitting in the press box.

And last, but, not least, Evan Gardner. What do we have here?? 1st time watching the kid/dude….didn’t really give much attention to the team drafting him pretty high. He looks quite good positionally, good movement, and rebound control. That’s all I’ll say after 1 prospect game, but, he should probably be looked at as just as intriguing as Ivanov, IMO.
I said it when we drafted him but I watched Gardner a lot last year and didn't even realize he was draft eligible which is a compliment because he never looked flustered. He's a calm, consistent puck stopper. Not the ideal size for today's goalies but he makes up for it with positioning and good reads. A lot less active than our recent group of NHL goalies

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Camp invite Fimis looking good early imo, set up Brindley for CBJ's best scoring chance of the period and was strong at the dot.
Not expecting CBJ to offer him an ELC but going forward I'll keep an eye on Fimis. He did many things right last night, played a fast and respectable two-way game.
And camp invitee Pano Fimis from the Otters looked like the best of the rest.
Interesting player. 5'11 two-way center with great compete level and excellent faceoff ability. Not elite hockey sense imo but visibly thinks the game fast and has a solid skill set. Not sure if there's enough strength and reach to ever be really effective at NHL level but it seems the tools are there for at least an impressive AHL career.

FO% 60.9 in the OHL last year, the highest % among players with over 1000 FO attempts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Theo Von

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad