NHL possibly getting bumped for a WNBA game

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
If Caitlin Clark's debut is so damn important, why isn't it on ABC then?

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
I can remember people talking about how insignificant the NBA was in 1977 when CBS, rather than show the Portland Trail Blazer clubhouse after they won the championship, went to a golf match. Keep in mind Portland was seen as an underdog playing team basketball while Philadelphia was seen as a bunch of selfish superstars who couldn’t play together

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It’s gonna be a bad look for the NHL when Caitlin Clark on ESPN2 trounces the Bruins/Panthers game on ESPN.

Think you meant to say bad look for the WNBA who couldn't bump off the Florida Panthers in the 2nd round from ESPN for one of the most purportedly historic and interesting debuts of a player.

:dunno:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Double digit turnovers in Clark's debut?

Yeah, I think this hype will die down soon.
Realistically, the WNBA rookies, it is a super short turnaround from their college season and tournament to the start of their regular season. Barely a month later and they are playing again, following camp and pre-season.

But, regardless the WNBA is counting on Clark to be good this season.

Dec 29, 2004
More people watched (Sunday) Game 4 of Bos-Fla series than watched Caitlin Clark, if that makes you feel better.

Sunday’s Panthers-Bruins second round Stanley Cup playoff Game 4 averaged a 1.0 rating and 2.18 million viewers across TNT (0.8, 1.75M) and truTV (0.21, 426K), trailing only Maple Leafs-Bruins Game 7 in the first round (1.6, 3.24M) as the most-watched game of the NHL season thus far.

The Panthers’ win delivered the largest second round playoff audience, excluding game sevens, since 2021. Ratings increased 25% and viewership 40% from Maple Leafs-Panthers in the same year-ago window (0.8, 1.55M).

Caitlin Clark’s regular-season debut with the Indiana Fever against the Connecticut Sun pulled in an average audience of 2.12 million viewers on ESPN2, giving the league its most-watched game since 2001 when NBC featured the Los Angeles Sparks and Houston Comets on Memorial Day.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Not playoff games though.
Well, take a look at this...seems your concerns and thinking was 100% wrong. Like I said, her debut will crush any NHL playoff game and ESPN would have replaced an NBA playoff game too. TV is about ratings and Clarke has the ratings.

MSN

Nielsen tallied 2.11 million people who tuned into ESPN2 to watch her debut. A number that doesn't include the amount of people who were watching on Disney+, and a number that amassed the NHL playoffs on ESPN (1.99 million).

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
More people watched (Sunday) Game 4 of Bos-Fla series than watched Caitlin Clark, if that makes you feel better.

These figures do not include any Disney viewers of her debut, not sure how that is added to overall viewership, since local NHL broadcasts are over, we are seeing the ESPN numbers.

Head to Head she beat the NHL on the night of the game. Quite remarkable.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Although the NHL did slightly better on the all important 18-49 demographic group. Then again the NHL game was on ESPN and WNBA on ESPN2 and the deuce seldom beats ESPN in the ratings
I did watch Clark and it was the first time I have ever watched a women’s basketball game. I seldom watch the NBA and have watched NCAA men’s hoops since the 1990s. Clark was pretty mediocre. Lots of turnovers, wild shooting..I thought she was a three point whiz. She got some garbage points late in the game. But it is her first game, she is playing against more experienced players, she is on a lousy team and she just got done with a grueling NCAA season of her own. .

Maybe it’s time the NHL has both teams use a female goaltender, another Manon Rheaume, in a playoff game. Actually I sometimes wonder why teams don’t try that in a pre season game where there are plenty of good seats available. Play a female goalie for half a game. You might sell some tickets and get some attention.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad