NHL/PA Discussing earlier season start

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

If happening won't be in effect until the next CBA. Possible changes.

Start season first week in October.
Award cup in early June
Reduce pre season to 4 games.
Increase regular season to 84 games.

I'm not opposed to either of these changes. Late June to July 1 is too compressed right now.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

If happening won't be in effect until the next CBA. Possible changes.

Start season first week in October.
Award cup in early June
Reduce pre season to 4 games.
Increase regular season to 84 games.

I'm not opposed to either of these changes. Late June to July 1 is too compressed right now.

This is incumbent on whether ESPN opts out of their deal with MLB and if they are ok with SCF starting close to end of the NBA Conference Finals. I could see the season starting earlier, but I imagine ESPN/ABC likes having NBA Finals and SCF in the same time period. So I’m skeptical of this report, this seems more like LeBrun wanting this more than it being a realistic report imo.

Reactions: Voight

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
This is incumbent on whether ESPN opts out of their deal with MLB and if they are ok with SCF starting close to end of the NBA Conference Finals. I could see the season starting earlier, but I imagine ESPN/ABC likes having NBA Finals and SCF in the same time period. So I’m skeptical of this report, this seems more like LeBrun wanting this more than it being a realistic report imo.

What f they started the NHL season a week and a half earlier (the same weekend as the end of the MLB season)?

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
What f they started the NHL season a week and a half earlier (the same weekend as the end of the MLB season)?

Wouldn’t work as long as ESPN maintains SNB and Wild Card series after 2025. They wouldn’t have the time slots to air the NHL games. That’s why this report seems more on what LeBrun wants than it being realistic imo. The TV networks have a big hand in the schedule with respect to CBA.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Only reason to increase games to 84 is if you are expecting expansion. Otherwise, the NHL is just overworking its players for less money. It would be like your favorite brand of peanut butter in a brand new package but instead of the 16oz jar you get a 12oz for the same price.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They should be pushing the off-season back. The final ending when it did was clearly to their benefit. This is a business.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
These are very underwhelming changes when there bigger fish to fry regarding balancing/fairness. Like I get it, but as a fan it's just irritating that these two parties won't focus on fixing the league structure and balance.

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It could happen. This is basically the schedule from the NBC days. Maybe move game 1 of the Final to the Tuesday following Memorial Day (when the calendar falls right) to avoid conflict with the NBA Conference Final given there is no early move up there anymore so that day is available.

But this sounds a lot like ESPN dumping baseball and TNT losing the NBA creating flexibility. But I can’t imagine a Canadian reporter to look past the trees for the forest to see that.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I’ll also note that I believe the year this would go into effect (with a new cba) would also be the first year of ESPN opts out of MLB.

Although if ESPN opts out of MLB the network picking up those rights will likely be TNT/TBS expanding their MLB rights as they will need SNB and WC round to help keep their transmission fees.

But given ESPN has the NHL A right and opening Night rights that can probably be worked around with TNT getting a letter start and ESPN getting more opening week games.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Only reason to increase games to 84 is if you are expecting expansion. Otherwise, the NHL is just overworking its players for less money. It would be like your favorite brand of peanut butter in a brand new package but instead of the 16oz jar you get a 12oz for the same price.

The proposed idea did cut back preseason games to 4.

One minor thing that 84 games is even out the schedule matrix a bit.

32 (16 x 2) games against the other conference
24 (8 x 3) games against the other division in your conference
28 (7 x 4) games against your own division

Currently, teams only play 3 games against 2 of the teams in their own division.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Wouldn’t work as long as ESPN maintains SNB and Wild Card series after 2025. They wouldn’t have the time slots to air the NHL games. That’s why this report seems more on what LeBrun wants than it being realistic imo. The TV networks have a big hand in the schedule with respect to CBA.
I think ESPN cares more about making a big deal about opening night than having lots of games opening week.

If you moved the NHL opening day to the last Saturday of the MLB season, ESPN could do 4 NHL games that day. Does ESPN do a Sunday night game on the last weekend? If they do, it's 3pm ET start because that's when all games on the last day start. So they could also do a Sunday night NHL game if they wanted, but more likely, you would see TNT doing a 2 or 3 game day on the Sunday. And since the Wild Card games don't start until Tuesday, ESPN could also do an NHL game on Monday night. The following Saturday would be the next slot available on ESPN proper but they could do an ESPN+ exclusive game on Wednesday or something but even if they went from Monday until Saturday without an NHL game, that's not too bad.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I think ESPN cares more about making a big deal about opening night than having lots of games opening week.

If you moved the NHL opening day to the last Saturday of the MLB season, ESPN could do 4 NHL games that day. Does ESPN do a Sunday night game on the last weekend? If they do, it's 3pm ET start because that's when all games on the last day start. So they could also do a Sunday night NHL game if they wanted, but more likely, you would see TNT doing a 2 or 3 game day on the Sunday. And since the Wild Card games don't start until Tuesday, ESPN could also do an NHL game on Monday night. The following Saturday would be the next slot available on ESPN proper but they could do an ESPN+ exclusive game on Wednesday or something but even if they went from Monday until Saturday without an NHL game, that's not too bad.

There is no chance ESPN is putting any NHL
games on Saturday during the college football season in the fall.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Fair enough. I wasn't thinking about College Football.
NCAAF is also a challenge for the NHL. That's why there are basically no afternoon NHL games in the fall. That starts up after NCAAF is completed their regular seasons by like early Dec.

NHL doesn't factor it in, but an earlier start and finish helps the on ice product with regards to ice quality. You have southern markets where June gets really hot and the ice machines can only do so much with high 20's Celsius or 90 F outside and 18K fans in the building. Even the NE US experienced a heat wave near what would have been the final couple of games of the finals so even up north, wouldn't get much better. Saw in that SB with KC/Phi, a wet field impacted part of the game. Limits passing and makes getting a lead more valuable.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
If the NHLPA wants to push the season starting earlier, they would have to agree that scrapping the 5-days rest in February of 2026 or February of 2027 in order for the season to end earlier at a reasonable timeframe and have the league starting their season at end of September by 2 weeks of current start date. Or reduce the season from 82 games to 78 games. Then the year after, they can have their own 5 days of rest and SCF game 7 would have been on Memorial Day weekend and maintain their 82-game schedule. Right now, there is no way for any earlier start of the season with the way the schedule has been released. The earlier they can start is in 2027-28 season due to the participation of Olympic in 2025-26 season and no way they'd agree to push the start in 2026-27 unless they implement a 78 game schedule and/or scrap the 5 days/all star in 2026-27 season. We are stuck in this type of schedule for at least 3 more seasons for one following reason, they need a proper off-season for the Cup Champion and the finalist as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad