NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE NINE! Part ONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
My Chemical Romance doesn't have integrity, right? I think that's why I never listened to MBV, because I assumed they were the same.

Correct, My Chemical Romance doesn't while My Bloody Valentine very much does.

MBV basically pioneered a genre while MCR grabbed some of the schlockiest parts of some other genres, put it in a blender and solid it to the Hot Topic crowd.

You might not like MBV, but I would suggest you would at least recognize the craft of the work. Try their album Loveless and if it doesn't do anything for you, I expect you can call it a day.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Correct, My Chemical Romance doesn't while My Bloody Valentine very much does.

MBV basically pioneered a genre while MCR grabbed some of the schlockiest parts of some other genres, put it in a blender and solid it to the Hot Topic crowd.

You might not like MBV, but I would suggest you would at least recognize the craft of the work. Try their album Loveless and if it doesn't do anything for you, I expect you can call it a day.

I heard Slowdive for the first time maybe six months ago. I liked them, but I wasn't necessarily moved by the music. The MBV I have been listening to sounds pretty similar, and I can definitely hear the quality. I'm just too old to be starting something like that now. I'm sure I would have liked it much more if I had listened at the time. I'm happy to have my opinion of MBV reformed after all this time, though.

Reactions: BiggE, mja and pit

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Team: PORTLAND FOG

Category: WILDCARD

Selection: BEER FESTIVALS

All of the teams have acquired an impressive collection of stupid Hockey players, interesting personalities, and talentless hacks.

We need a reason to bring them all together outdoors to get loaded on occasion.

Where better than a Beer Festival?

Pre-Covid I was going to about 2 per year for the last 7-8 years. Some of my favorite recent memories with friends are at beer festivals. Grab a tasting glass on the way in and drink to your hearts content. The best strategy is to fill up your glass and head for the next line and drink your beer in line. By the time you get to the next pour, your glass is empty and ready for more.

pbw2015-credit-danyahenninger-fishtownfestivale-1200x900-1044x781.jpg

nebeer-large.jpg

20157197_1577574312300622_7958130538425926142_o.jpg

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Who was I getting them mixed up with? Like a few bands all melded together in my head. I know Rocket from the Crypt is one, but it feels like there is another one.

(To the general Quackverse public: As far as naming names goes ... get a grip. This doesn't matter.)

By the way, it has now been 490 days since I last hit the correct key I was aiming for the first time with my typing.

Sure you don't mean Rocket from the Tombs? Kidding, that was a fairly obscure early punk band. Rocket from the Crypt was more of a punk band that leaned into their 50's rock n' roll roots. What Green Day might have been if they were cool and added a horn section. Scream, Dracula, Scream is an underrated gem.

I actually slept on MBV for a long time, I tended to pay way more attention to this side of the Atlantic in general. Then one day 10-15 years ago, XPN played When You Sleep and suddenly it clicked for me. College Radio for the win!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Your avatar.

I still confused myself occasionally. I wish I was joking.

But while I have you here, give me suggestions for songs or acts to run through some ML algorithms for custom Beat Saber levels please. This goes for anyone else too. It helps very much to have an obvious instrument or instruments pushed to the front, otherwise it can sometimes focus on drums and my brain doesn't work like that.

Some random examples of mainstream bands/songs that I've found work very well -- RHCP, Earth Wind & Fire, White Stripes, Gorillaz, "Rasputin," and all sorts of hip hop or dance as you would probably expect.

Absolutely no weeb shit, please. I'm glad others can enjoy it, but it's not for me.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

But while I have you here, give me suggestions for songs or acts to run through some ML algorithms for custom Beat Saber levels please. This goes for anyone else too. It helps very much to have an obvious instrument or instruments pushed to the front, otherwise it can sometimes focus on drums and my brain doesn't work like that.

Some random examples of mainstream bands/songs that I've found work very well -- RHCP, Earth Wind & Fire, White Stripes, Gorillaz, "Rasputin," and all sorts of hip hop or dance as you would probably expect.

Absolutely no weeb shit, please. I'm glad others can enjoy it, but it's not for me.

"Song 2" by Blur has that guitar in the front for the non-choruses (or words to that effect). And then, of course, Babymetal.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace

I don't know what that is, but maybe Helicopter by Bloc Party?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad