NHL looking into hosting games in Mexico City

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Other than Mexico City Monterrey would be a good choice it's a very modern and American style city, I remember back in the days when Champcar would hold races there and they were always very well attended.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
1697389383241.jpeg

This is the NBA/NHL capacity arena in Mexico City. I am not an architect or engineer so someone else has to do the math to see if rink can be fit without one side being unusable.

nhlanon1

Oct 15, 2023
I really don't know why they are doing this. The NHL will never have any footprint in Mexico. It can't even conquer the Southern US. The game is too expensive at every level to watch and play, Mexico doesn't have any of the infrastructure for it. There's going to be a triple language barrier and there's a million other entertainment options right now that give the dopamine rush quicker than hockey does.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I really don't know why they are doing this. The NHL will never have any footprint in Mexico. It can't even conquer the Southern US. The game is too expensive at every level to watch and play, Mexico doesn't have any of the infrastructure for it. There's going to be a triple language barrier and there's a million other entertainment options right now that give the dopamine rush quicker than hockey does.

I mean - let's have some faith in our favourite sport.

When you talk about the dopamine rush - is there any sport that is both faster and harder hitting than hockey? The NHL does a good job at supplying the glitz and glamour, the novelty factor will bring some fans out if nothing else. And if you want to talk about playing - while ice hockey is expensive, ball hockey is damn cheap and can serve as a great introduction to the sport.

Whether it's a good idea or not I can't tell - but it's not a terrible idea.

I think Disney on ice has been there

Yes. Mexico City Arena (Arena Ciudad de México), opened in 2012, has hosted Disney on Ice according to Wiki. No idea if it has a permanent ice plant, but for a one-off event they could certainly bring in a temporary plant.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
For those that do not know how to use google....Mexico does have a national hockey team so yes there is some interest in hockey and there is some infrastructure.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
It's only one game. If a team wants to gamble a home game's worth of revenue on its success than why not do something interesting? Sounds like the Coyotes are up for it. Play a Canadian team in January/February and I might book a flight.

Reactions: andora

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Outside of Canada Mexico is pretty embracing of American sports. They even have oval race tracks .

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
I get that piling on Bettman is fun and all, but...

Apparently the NBA has managed to hold 30+ games in Mexico City over the years and as far as I know there hasn't been any kidnappings linked to the games.

I think NHL fans who attend would probably make it out unscathed, and if they don't feel like they would be safe they do have the option of like... I dunno... not making the trip.:dunno:

Last edited:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
It's only one game. If a team wants to gamble a home game's worth of revenue on its success than why not do something interesting? Sounds like the Coyotes are up for it. Play a Canadian team in January/February and I might book a flight.

So the NHL is going to take a step into Mexico, and your idea is to have a team based out of Canada, where the country's population is only .42% of Mexican origin(55k people - based off the last census), is your option as the opponent?

The only thing I could think of is having a team with a player of Mexican origin on it partake, in which Toronto would be a good choice because of Auston Matthews. A superstar, and fits that bill. Otherwise I think it would make more sense to have a team like the Stars or Kings partake. The Stars have been outspoken about wanting to be Mexico's team, so I think someone like them would make more sense.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad