NHL/hockey TV ratings 2024-25

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Incredibly disappointing numbers. Just brutal.
And it's likely a permanent ratings disadvantage versus WNBA...as WNBA playoffs will probably just get even better and better ratings in future years. And just think if Caitlin were still playing!

AND, despite all the U.S. expansion /relocation and "growing the game," look how relatively little it's accomplished: the WNBA has only 12 (?) teams AND decades younger but adding more teams and the NHL has 32 teams... but the WNBA is hot and trendy, and the NHL is hardly either here in all-important America. Plus the NHL has a great iconic Stanley Cup trophy vs. what (?) for the WNBA...but it doesn't even seem to matter much in most of America.

It's almost laughable that the NHL is considered a "big 4 league" by some. But what a compliment, huh?

And the NBA is set to further widen the gap vs. the NHL in the all-important NY, Boston and Philadelphia markets this season as all have a chance at a championship!

And...Mets, Yankees, maybe Dodgers, Detroit or Cleveland, traditional and appealing markets, in the baseball league championships won't help upcoming October NHL ratings, unlike the NBA which always starts later in the baseball playoffs and avoids that tv competition.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
MLB's playoff ratings are up and i wonder if the fan cross over is more focused on the playoffs than the NHL right now causing such a drop off to start the NHL season.

This is why owners like the Stars have been pushing to start the season even later in October because of the overlap with the baseball postseason in addition to college and pro football. I know people like LeBrun want the season to start earlier, but from a TV perspective, that makes little sense in the US.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Down quite a bit again.
I think what we're seeing is that baseball has an interesting final four (the first time in a long time) where all the teams are competitive and that is severely impacting the NHL's ratings. Not sure about WNBA, seems like a different type of viewer than baseball. Nonetheless, I would have liked to see a bump considering how strong the ratings were for the Stanley Cup Finals in June.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
And I just read the WNBA Final will be a best of 7 starting next year. It's best of 5 now.

So...even further competition in October from now on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad