Speculation: NHL gearing up for another round of expansion!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Figure this is worth its own thread as there could be updates/discussion thru year about it

I am happy with this

More NHL teams is good thing and its great if Houston finally is in. Should have been one of the late 90's expansion teams if not for the mutliple bids, potential legal fights, etc that sunk Houston's chances

And I think Atlanta will do great in suburbs like Braves. And area will only continue to grow

With all the speculation/interest reported this past year it's not surprising. And for this process to begin its clear NHL and those interested have been having preliminary talks for a while now

Atlanta and Houston seem safe bets for #33 and #34

Wonder if any other interested parties will put together enough of a bid to be #35 and #36

Reactions: clydesdale line

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
After watching how awful the Blackhawks were (yes, by design) the last two years... Not to mention San Jose, Anaheim, and Columbus.

Hard pass on expansion from me, although it seems inevitable.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Bedard is going to have 200 point seasons in 5 years at this rate. I hate the expansion. Building through the draft is going to be rough. How many players from each draft class play even 100 games in the NHL? A dozen?

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
With odds of winning a Cup on any given year being 1/32 or 1/34, it is almost a certainty that teams will have stretches of 100+ years without winning. Terrible

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Some people don't believe this is a thing. That the league really is just opening up 44 more roster spots and it'll allow these players a chance to shine that they otherwise never would've gotten. I don't see it, personally.
It's already watered down. Look at the shitty teams in the league,they all have 10 players that shouldn't be in the NHL

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Tge Blackhawks could hardly ice a team of legit NHL talent last season.. So too SJ and AnH and other bottom 8-10 teams. Now they want to make it even harder to ice NJL level talent for the non-co.petitive teams?

Way too early to expand again until the points differential from tip to bottom teams reduces to a slimmer more competitive roster balance.

But the owners care less about league competitive "oarity" .. alk they care for is more expansion$$$$lining their pockets.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They gotta be careful here. People are fans of their team first and less so fans of the NHL on a macro level, especially in the U.S. Every expansion means you're increasing the "middle" group of teams that people generally don't have a ton of interest in because they don't have a realistic shot at winning a Cup now or in the near future.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It's already watered down. Look at the shitty teams in the league,they all have 10 players that shouldn't be in the NHL
Goalies especially. Look at the SV% by year. It's gone down every year since Vegas arrived. I know some of that is goalie pad reduction, what year was that again?

So I'm assuming these Houston and Atlanta teams will be here two years from now. Meaning from 2017/18 to 2026/27 the league will have added 4 new teams and 80 + roster slots. There's a cascade effect here that forces sub-NHL talent to be put on NHL rosters. It also means there's less and less viable options to find a legitimate 1C, 1D, top line forward, etc...

It'll be harder to build through the draft as everyone's picks get downshifted by 2. Whether you're a rebuilding team or not, it's going to suck.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Tge Blackhawks could hardly ice a team of legit NHL talent last season.. So too SJ and AnH and other bottom 8-10 teams. Now they want to make it even harder to ice NJL level talent
This point, on the other hand, is kind of bad. It's all pretty relative. If you had a 2X NHL and the entire AHL was now in the NHL, it would just take our brains a little time to adjust but then you'd roll with it and it would seem "normal" for whatever the new NHL player standard is. The 3rd line NHL guys don't go to IIHF World Champs and clown all over random EuroPros, there are plenty of players not in the NHL that can "hold their own" so to speak.

Reactions: statswatcher

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is the modus operandi for hockey nowadays. Watering down the talent at every single level. Look at how many "AAA" teams Illinois has now.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm mainly okay with the fact that another Central Time Zone team is getting added. Will make for more better broadcast times for us, hopefully.

If Atlanta gets a team, hope they become the Firebirds as an homage to their previous teams and referencing their phoenix municipal seal.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I'm mainly okay with the fact that another Central Time Zone team is getting added. Will make for more better broadcast times for us, hopefully.

If Atlanta gets a team, hope they become the Firebirds as an homage to their previous teams and referencing their phoenix municipal seal.
Hopefully they reboot the Thrashers and return team history to ATL/WPG.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I don't know.... the Thrashers were kind of a walking suck factory. I think starting from fresh there branding-wise makes the most sense.

But hey, it'd give them something to tap back into for eventual retro and outdoor gear if they get a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad