NHL Gamecenter Live and Roku

DumpnChase12

Apr 26, 2012
Lake Worth, FL
Has anyone used the Roku to watch games with NHL Gamecenter Live ?
Do you get the same features as watching it on the computer ?
I have been using NHL Center Ice for years with comcast but I got spoiled watching the Rangers in HD during the playoffs on my new 55" TV.
Besides running a long HDMI cable from my computer to the TV, the Roku sounds like the easiest way to watch the game on my TV..

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
I upgraded from a Boxee box to a Roku and it was night and day. The Roku looks better than the MSG feed that I had on regular cablevision. In terms of watching on the computer I found it always looked a little bit grainy. On Roku you have all of the same features you would normally have on P.C. The only exception is that you have to either catch the game while it is still occurring or wait about an hour or two until it is archived. On P.C. you can start it up at anytime. You can of course hide the score on Roku and on gamecenter live you can't hide it. What I used to do before the Roku is start the game and pause it to fix that.

UDnyr92

Jan 6, 2011
Great timing for this thread to get posted. Moved out to California a month ago, and looks like I'm about to get NHL Gamecenter and Roku all set up. Hope it works wonders and I don't miss too many games!

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
Great timing for this thread to get posted. Moved out to California a month ago, and looks like I'm about to get NHL Gamecenter and Roku all set up. Hope it works wonders and I don't miss too many games!

It really is quite good. You'll be happy with it.

DumpnChase12

Apr 26, 2012
Lake Worth, FL
I guess I will try Gamecenter and roku this year, like the ability to watch the games on different devices.
Has anyone tried the Roku Stick ? I think this would work out better for me so I can plug it in the kitchen tv if i am having a late dinner and still watch the game :)

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
I upgraded from a Boxee box to a Roku and it was night and day. The Roku looks better than the MSG feed that I had on regular cablevision. In terms of watching on the computer I found it always looked a little bit grainy. On Roku you have all of the same features you would normally have on P.C. The only exception is that you have to either catch the game while it is still occurring or wait about an hour or two until it is archived. On P.C. you can start it up at anytime. You can of course hide the score on Roku and on gamecenter live you can't hide it. What I used to do before the Roku is start the game and pause it to fix that.

You can start watching from the beginning if the game is still on. Oh and as far as multiple devices as long as you're not watching on two computers it works fine. At times last year we'd have Apple TV, Roku, a tablet and maybe a laptop all going at once.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
You can start watching from the beginning if the game is still on. Oh and as far as multiple devices as long as you're not watching on two computers it works fine. At times last year we'd have Apple TV, Roku, a tablet and maybe a laptop all going at once.

Yeah I know you can but if you come home a couple of minutes late you'll have to wait for it to archive. The main dig I have with gamecenter live is the blackouts. I got around that by using a VPN but there are a lot of people not willing to do that. Other than those two things it works great.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
I've been using the ROKU & Xbox to stream GCL to my TV for years. I've been quite happy with it. Here's a thread from last year.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1495711&highlight=roku

I find that sometimes you have more options to select home or away broadcast on the PC app. Outside that, I'd stay away from Sony WiFi bluerays, TV, etc. They "work" but not really. The app on those devices is pretty much crap.

I guess I will try Gamecenter and roku this year, like the ability to watch the games on different devices.
Has anyone tried the Roku Stick ? I think this would work out better for me so I can plug it in the kitchen tv if i am having a late dinner and still watch the game :)

I haven't tried Chromecast with GCL yet, though it'll probably do the same thing for you and more.

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Considering the home announcers only do one round of the playoffs I wouldn't worry too much about that part.

DumpnChase12

Apr 26, 2012
Lake Worth, FL
I purchased the Roku Stick today. Went to the GCL app and was able to watch game highlights in the Archived Section, HD looked good. When I clicked on Today's Game I was able to watch highlights of last season games which did not look so great (lower resolution). I don't see any options in the app about resolution. I have U Verse 12M/1.5M for my internet.

I made a free account with HS and was able to view the Preview channel with my computer. It was choppy at times. Unfortunately it would not let me view the Preview channel on the Roku so I don't know how it would look on there.

I have excellent signal to the Roku, HD movies play perfect (VUDU).
I am leaning more toward GCL but the lower resolution on some games concern me. I heard that there is a $25 discount code for GCL with the purchase of NHL 15 (which my kids are buying :naughty: )

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
I had heard a lot about hockeystreams on here and when I looked into it, it seemed to be better in comparison to gcl. I just signed up and tried it on a tablet and then through a Samsung bd-f5900 using the web browser and it was a game from last year so not live, but the quality was excellent! I am looking forward to watching the games this way this season.

axleone

The Jukebox Junkie
Feb 2, 2006
Lynchburg, Virginia
Have used GCL, Center Ice ...now I use Hockey Streams. Smokes the rest!

Live NHL Pre-Season Games
Live NHL, AHL, OHL, QMJHL, WHL and more Regular Season Games
Live NHL, AHL, OHL, QMJHL, WHL and more Post Season Games
Live NHL© All-Star Game
Live NHL© Draft
Live NHL© Player Awards
Live Olympics
Memorial Cup
On-demand Games (NHL, AHL, OHL, WHL, QMJHL)
Trade Deadline on multiple stations
Video is streamed on based on your internet connection. The maximum bitrate for our streams is 3200Kbps (3.2MB/s), and the minimum is 800Kbps (0.8MB/s).
Plus much, much, more!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Cool, I was wondering this same thing. Was thinking about getting a Roku box to also stream Netflix, Amazon Instant video, etc, and was wondering how it did with GCL

I haven't tried Chromecast with GCL yet, though it'll probably do the same thing for you and more.

The GCL app isn't supported in Chromecast yet which is really disappointing. I was really hoping that'd be a viable option for me last year but since the app isn't supported on any devices and streaming from a tab sucks, it just didn't work.

I purchased the Roku Stick today. Went to the GCL app and was able to watch game highlights in the Archived Section, HD looked good. When I clicked on Today's Game I was able to watch highlights of last season games which did not look so great (lower resolution). I don't see any options in the app about resolution. I have U Verse 12M/1.5M for my internet.

I made a free account with HS and was able to view the Preview channel with my computer. It was choppy at times. Unfortunately it would not let me view the Preview channel on the Roku so I don't know how it would look on there.

I have excellent signal to the Roku, HD movies play perfect (VUDU).
I am leaning more toward GCL but the lower resolution on some games concern me. I heard that there is a $25 discount code for GCL with the purchase of NHL 15 (which my kids are buying :naughty: )

In my experience, all of the archived games on GCL (played from computer at least) are lower resolution than what they are when they actually stream in real time.

DumpnChase12

Apr 26, 2012
Lake Worth, FL
In my experience, all of the archived games on GCL (played from computer at least) are lower resolution than what they are when they actually stream in real time.

I am hoping that is the case. Going to buy GCL as soon as NHL15 comes out so I use the $25 off code that comes with it.

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
know this is an old thread but didn't know where else to put this question...

I want to get exposure to more teams vs. the tri-state games. Was toying with Gamecenter (have a PS4) and Center Ice, the price difference doesn't bother me, I'm more concerned with quality. Wanted to get people's opinions and see if there is any early bird deals?

Thanks.

failure

Nov 25, 2014
Colorado Springs
Since this was bumped today, I am getting frustrated with xfinity Center Ice and only getting 1 or 2 games in HD.

Does Hockey Streams look good streaming to Roku? Choppy at all? Can you stream the game anytime you want? I work late sometimes and can't catch the game live. Kinda torn between the convenience of the record it and watch it anytime on my DVR. So tired of giving Comcast more and more money for marginal service..

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Since this was bumped today, I am getting frustrated with xfinity Center Ice and only getting 1 or 2 games in HD.

Does Hockey Streams look good streaming to Roku? Choppy at all? Can you stream the game anytime you want? I work late sometimes and can't catch the game live. Kinda torn between the convenience of the record it and watch it anytime on my DVR. So tired of giving Comcast more and more money for marginal service..

I made the jump last season from GCL on PS3 to Apple TV and couldn't have been happier. Other than being 30 seconds behind (which GCL always is) it was phenomenal. I was able to get MSG HD broadcast as crystal clear as if I was watching MSG on TV in the NY area.

100% worth the $67 for Apple TV

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Additionally Apple TV has an NBCSN app which has the same quality level which was perfect for the playoffs

dump and change

Sep 26, 2014
hey guys, i am moving down to florida in a couple months i was also wondering what was better Game Center or center ice?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Lots of questions here and I've had all three (Center Ice, Game Center, & Hockeystreams (via Roku))

A.) Center Ice - Comcast has one or 2 HD games and it's usually one. My regional choices are either Comcast or AT&T Uverse (which doesn't carry Center Ice at all) so unless you want to pay $149 to see most games in ass-o-vision, I highly recommend AGAINST center ice unless your regional cable carrier has multiple HD channels for the games (Cablevision was pretty good about this)

B.) Gamecenter is decent, however, if you want to see YOUR local team you'll have to watch them on your local cable channel (like MSG). I guess there are probably work-arounds to this via spoofing ISP's or whatever but it's still more money than Hockeystreams. There's also the lag issue (see below hockeystreams)

C.) Hockey streams has the most teams/leagues etc... Has a lot of flexibility - ie... you can pay for the year and "freeze" the account when the playoffs are over and start it up again the next season so you're not paying for the summer months.
1.) For those that like to post in real time to the HF boards while watching the game... you won't be able to anymore. There is a lag - a large enough lag that you'll see "GOAL" posts before you see them via hockeystreams. So there's that.
2.) Roku has problems, sometimes, with "stuttering" and "buffering" and I've found these to be more of problem during live broadcasts than if you're watching late at night rewind.
3.) Post game shows are usually cut off.

Personally, hockeystreams gives you the most for your dollar. You can watch the game whenever you want. You can watch AHL, WHL, OHL, etc... if you want to see some of our prospects. Performance is generally pretty good and they have excellent support.

Any other Q's give me a shout.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
Lots of questions here and I've had all three (Center Ice, Game Center, & Hockeystreams (via Roku))

A.) Center Ice - Comcast has one or 2 HD games and it's usually one. My regional choices are either Comcast or AT&T Uverse (which doesn't carry Center Ice at all) so unless you want to pay $149 to see most games in ass-o-vision, I highly recommend AGAINST center ice unless your regional cable carrier has multiple HD channels for the games (Cablevision was pretty good about this)

B.) Gamecenter is decent, however, if you want to see YOUR local team you'll have to watch them on your local cable channel (like MSG). I guess there are probably work-arounds to this via spoofing ISP's or whatever but it's still more money than Hockeystreams. There's also the lag issue (see below hockeystreams)

C.) Hockey streams has the most teams/leagues etc... Has a lot of flexibility - ie... you can pay for the year and "freeze" the account when the playoffs are over and start it up again the next season so you're not paying for the summer months.
1.) For those that like to post in real time to the HF boards while watching the game... you won't be able to anymore. There is a lag - a large enough lag that you'll see "GOAL" posts before you see them via hockeystreams. So there's that.
2.) Roku has problems, sometimes, with "stuttering" and "buffering" and I've found these to be more of problem during live broadcasts than if you're watching late at night rewind.
3.) Post game shows are usually cut off.

Personally, hockeystreams gives you the most for your dollar. You can watch the game whenever you want. You can watch AHL, WHL, OHL, etc... if you want to see some of our prospects. Performance is generally pretty good and they have excellent support.

Any other Q's give me a shout.

with hockeystreams, do you have to wait until the game is over to watch the archived/recorded version or can you start while the game is still in process? With cable I typically DVR the games and start watching them ~1hr after start time to skip all the commercials & intermissions.

Realize

with hockeystreams, do you have to wait until the game is over to watch the archived/recorded version or can you start while the game is still in process? With cable I typically DVR the games and start watching them ~1hr after start time to skip all the commercials & intermissions.

My impression was that when you want to watch the games on demand, GCL is the better option than hockeystreams.

I tested Hockeystreams last year, too - because the quality of MSG really sucks over GCL. But somehow the overall functionality was better over Gamecenter Live for me (via PS4).

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

HS has a DVR feature which allows you to watch the game from the beginning, even if you come in halfway through.

Also, the FF options with HS are awesome. They have selectable skips of 30 seconds (avg. time between stoppage and faceoff drop), 2 min (avg. commercial break), and 17 min (intermission length). Very handy.

failure

Nov 25, 2014
Colorado Springs
So if Roku has stuttering problems, what is the best way to watch? Any experience with watching it in a browser and Airplaying it to Apple TV? Biggest issue now is if I want to do Hockey Streams I have to go Roku but GCL I need to go Apple TV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad