GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Edmonton loses to Dallas with Fourgiev. Definitely would've lost 4-2 in game 6 at least. Hell I don't even know if they get pass Vancouver with Fourgiev.
Absolutely they would get past Dallas. And Skinner almost lost them the Vancouver series remember? It was Pickard who saved their asses.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Of the 8 starters who made it to the 2nd round, George was 8th with a -0.29 GSAA/60

Of the goalies that played 150 minutes (17), George was 14th.

Head-to-Head with Otter (just narrowed by dates, but you can see them).

Otter was +0.33 and George was -0.07. That is a 0.40 difference. The GAA for the series. Otter 2.24 and Georgiev 2.72... a .48 difference. The difference between George and Otter was a massive part of that series. He wasn't the only difference, but his level of play was not up to par with the rest of the goalies.

George is still clearly an issue. He can have some good games, and he didn't completely shit himself in the 2nd round... but he was far from a positive influence on the series.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The least of our problems?

During the regular season, 41 goaltenders played 25+ games. He ranked 32nd in GSAA.

Of the 17 goalies in the playoffs he ranked 15th.

Tell me how he is the least of our problems?

An average goaltender takes the Avs places. Georgiev is WELL below average.
Wait 'till UPL starts 67 games next year...

Of the 8 starters who made it to the 2nd round, George was 8th with a -0.29 GSAA/60

Otter was +0.33 and George was -0.07. That is a 0.40 difference. The GAA for the series. Otter 2.24 and Georgiev 2.72... a .048 difference. The difference between George and Otter was a massive part of that series. He wasn't the only difference, but his level of play was not up to par with the rest of the goalies.

George is still clearly an issue. He can have some good games, and he didn't completely shit himself in the 2nd round... but he was far from a positive influence on the series.
We want to pay 3M for a starting goalie we get 3M goalie performances. Outside of the first game in Winnipeg Georgiev was worth his money.

The short and long term solution is in Nashville right now but we won't make the move. It's a choice.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Wait 'till UPL starts 67 games next year...

We want to pay 3M for a starting goalie we get 3M goalie performances.

The solution is in Nashvuille right now, but we won't make the move.

So we expect 5 more games than George? ;)

Avs have paid this rate and gotten better goaltending before. They are paying the rough standard of an unproven backup transitioning to a starting role. Plenty of goalies in that situation have played significantly better than George.

The price on Askarov would be Ritchie + 1st.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So we expect 5 more games than George? ;)

Avs have paid this rate and gotten better goaltending before. They are paying the rough standard of an unproven backup transitioning to a starting role. Plenty of goalies in that situation have played significantly better than George.

The price on Askarov would be Ritchie + 1st.
I would do that

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think I'd pay this, my question is do you go immediately long-term or a bridge deal?
Going long-term with the information today would be an insane risk nobody should take. Askarov has been good, but not great in the AHL. There's potential for sure, but other young goalies have outperformed him too.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Going long-term with the information today would be an insane risk nobody should take. Askarov has been good, but not great in the AHL. There's potential for sure, but other young goalies have outperformed him too.

What's Spencer Knight been up to nowadays?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm no goalie expert but from what I've been reading lately he's been excellent and on par with his pre draft hype. He has the tools and the mental to become an elite goalie in the NHL.

I'd trade Ritchie + 1st for him hands down. He's a lot more likely to be a difference maker on this team than Ritchie and could fix the goalie issue for a decade.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm no goalie expert but from what I've been reading lately he's been excellent and on par with his pre draft hype. He has the tools and the mental to become an elite goalie in the NHL.

I'd trade Ritchie + 1st for him hands down. He's a lot more likely to be a difference maker on this team than Ritchie and could fix the goalie issue for a decade.
No thanks. I get what you are saying, and that's what Trotz is looking for. But with the current value of goalies around the league, that can't happen.

Established Vezina winning goalies have been traded for almost negative value. We sure as hell aren't paying a first AND our top prospect for a goalie that might be great, but has played 3 f***ing NHL games.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No thanks. I get what you are saying, and that's what Trotz is looking for. But with the current value of goalies around the league, that can't happen.

Established Vezina winning goalies have been traded for almost negative value. We sure as hell aren't paying a first AND our top prospect for a goalie that might be great, but has played 3 f***ing NHL games.
Who's that? The pending UFA with the NMC who nixed previous trades and won't stay in Ottawa? He's going to stay there 1 year.

How's that even remotely comparable to a 23 years old on ELC? He could stay here 12 years.

Bedard is worth more than Crosby.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Georgiev is fine. He had 1 terrible game 1 in the playoffs, but the other games, he was adequate. That's what you get from a 3-4 mill goal on a team that chooses to pay skaters more. If Skinner can make it to the cup finals (and get conn smythe votes), so can Georgiev.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
What's Spencer Knight been up to nowadays?
Being good, but short of great in the AHL. He's the backup in Florida next season though.

I'd trade Ritchie + 1st for him hands down. He's a lot more likely to be a diference maker on this team than Ritchie and could fix the goalie issue for a decade.

Devon Levi was dominant in the AHL last season. Probably the single best performance of any young goalie in the AHL last season. Sebastian Cossa, was arguably the best goalie in the AHL from Jan 1-on (looked like something finally clicked). Dustin Wolf has had 3 great AHL years and was great in the AHL last year before securing his job in the NHL. Joel Blomqvist looked VERY good as a rookie. IMO all those guys had better seasons than Askarov had last year.

I'm not saying Askarov is bad or anything, but he didn't show that he's a 100% sure thing last year either. Wallstadt and Askarov have been very similar the last two seasons. They have performed well and looked like NHL goalies with starting potential. If I was betting on any of them being a star, it would be Levi. I think he has the best chance. Cossa has the highest ceiling. Wallstadt is most likely to end up a dependable starter (he looks like a sure thing there, but probably short of a star). Askarov has star potential, but some boom/bust to him.

I 100% get the argument that the Avs should grab a young high end goalie. Just simply stating the cost is high on those.

On a different note, I think we are on the verge of the pendulum swinging goalies. For the last 5 or so years, we've had very few high end guys coming up and the position is as weak as it has been in the NHL in a very long time. The 16-23 has some guys who could very well change that quickly.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Georgiev is fine. He had 1 terrible game 1 in the playoffs, but the other games, he was adequate. That's what you get from a 3-4 mill goal on a team that chooses to pay skaters more. If Skinner can make it to the cup finals (and get conn smythe votes), so can Georgiev.
Did you watch the regular season?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Otter was +0.33 and George was -0.07. That is a 0.40 difference. The GAA for the series. Otter 2.24 and Georgiev 2.72... a .48 difference. The difference between George and Otter was a massive part of that series. He wasn't the only difference, but his level of play was not up to par with the rest of the goalies.

Not that I disagree with George not being good enough in the last playoffs but I wonder what those numbers would look like without that horrible game 1 against WIN.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
On a different note, I think we are on the verge of the pendulum swinging goalies. For the last 5 or so years, we've had very few high end guys coming up and the position is as weak as it has been in the NHL in a very long time. The 16-23 has some guys who could very well change that quickly.
The Russians stole the Finnish goalie cloning machine and up'd the production on them.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Who's that? The pending UFA with the NMC who nixed previous trades and won't stay in Ottawa? He's going to stay there 1 year.

How's that even remotely comparable to a 23 years old on ELC? He could stay here 12 years.

Bedard is worth more than Crosby.
The issue with paying Ritchie + 1st is you might be paying that high price for only ~3 yrs of Askarov. It is not the Avs' MO to pay their #1 goalie 7M+ and that could be the price for Askarov by then if he has a few great seasons. If we win another Cup that is a fair trade off but there is plenty of risk with that strategy considering his last AHL season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not that I disagree with George not being good enough in the last playoffs but I wonder what those numbers would look like without that horrible game 1 against WIN.
He'd move to around 10th. With that though, if you eliminate each worst game by a goalie, the whole situation changes. The series against Dallas is clear and wouldn't change. George is a below average goalie, even when he's mostly playing well.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He'd move to around 10th. With that though, if you eliminate each worst game by a goalie, the whole situation changes. The series against Dallas is clear and wouldn't change. George is a below average goalie, even when he's mostly playing well.
Yeah agree with that.

I always liked UPL so I'd do that trade 100%.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Russians stole the Finnish goalie cloning machine and up'd the production on them.
Probably more than that... we actually have some Canadians coming up. Hofer, Levi, and Cossa are all in various stages of setting up their future. Canada needs to continue to produce for the goaltending to ultimately turn around. d'Aigle needs a bounceback season... but Ivankovic and Ravensbergen look legit. I especially like Ravensbergen.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
No matter who's in net, I really hope management and the coaching staff learned a lesson last year.

Insisting on playing a goalie who could barely hold a .900 save percentage is idiotic and may have played a factor in the top guys seeming burnt out in the playoffs.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think the problem is, with the way the team is constructed the Avs can't get away with "mediocre" goaltending any longer. They don't have the depth defensively to cover for a bad goalie, nor the depth offensively to regularly outscore that deficiency. They need a goalie that can occasionally win them games, right now they have a guy that seems to top out at "at least he's not the reason they lost".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad