GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's as if people forget this was never the plan from the beginning and Landeskog wanted to take 2 years off.
It was his choice to go ahead with the experimental surgery. He knew how long he had missed before doing it and how long it would take for recovery, there's no surprise there.

What he didnt know (and still don't) is if it will work at all or what caliber of player he's going to be if it does.

All in all his situation has been hurting the team for a very long time and right in our contending window. And if he comes back and he's too slow he's still going to hurt us for a while.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It's as if people forget this was never the plan from the beginning and Landeskog wanted to take 2 years off.
I’m OK with the Avs offering Landeskog all due respect in regards to him potentially coming back from this injury/surgery.

But it’s also true that the situation probably needs to be resolved one way or the other this upcoming season. And preferably early in the season. It’s time.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It was his choice to go ahead with the experimental surgery. He knew how long he had missed before doing it and how long it would take for recovery, there's no surprise there.

What he didnt know (and still don't) is if it will work at all or what caliber of player he's going to be if it does.

All in all his situation has been hurting the team for a very long time and right in our contending window. And if he comes back and he's too slow he's going to still hurt us for a while.
His choice to go ahead with the experimental surgery after an entire year of trying to return. He had an injury only what, 1 or 2 other NHLers have ever had? This isn't some back issue where the guy says "f*** it I don't feel like doing this anymore" due to age or recurring pain.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
His choice to go ahead with the experimental surgery after an entire year of trying to return.
Exactly, knowing full well he'd put the team on hold for another year+ with unknown results in the end. We were able to spend his cap hit last year but without being able to commit to any contract because he'd possibly come back....and this summer we can't spend it even if we know that he won't be a 7M player if he comes back.

I don't blame him for not retiring after the cup but that'd have been by far the best case scenario

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Exactly, knowing full well he'd put the team on hold for another year+ with unknown results in the end. We were able to spend his cap hit last year but without being able to commit to any contract because he'd possibly come back....and this summer we can't spend it even if we know that he won't be a 7M player if he comes back.

I don't blame him for not retiring after the cup but that'd have been by far the best case scenario
I disagree that it's by far the best case scenario. The best case scenario is Landeskog returning to the team like he never missed a beat. This team NEEDS its captain back.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

The I my thing we know today is that, for the past 2 seasons, Landeskog retiring would have been beneficial to the Avs.

BUT, there’s absolutely no way you can say it would still be beneficial until we see when and how he returns.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The I my thing we know today is that, for the past 2 seasons, Landeskog retiring would have been beneficial to the Avs.

BUT, there’s absolutely no way you can say it would still be beneficial until we see when and how he returns.
Had he retired after the cup we'd have a new captain and a different team. At 7M cap hit he better be really, really, really good to make me believe that all this shit was worth it.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Had he retired after the cup we'd have a new captain and a different team. At 7M cap hit he better be really, really, really good to make me believe that all this shit was worth it.
7M buys nowhere close to what it used to. 5.5 just bought Monahan.

Until you actually see how he plays, we know nothing.

I know the idea is we’d be in a good spot. But it could be just as likely we wasted his 7M on guys who don’t make enough of a difference.

Why assume the worst case scenario?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean some days he's decent on the 3rd line, depends who he plays with. Him and LOC like to crash a burn and it actually is effective when they are both forcing turnovers on the forecheck
If you’re only scoring 9 goals and 26 points on a 3rd line you better be f***ing good defensively… Wood is not. He’s a 4th liner through and through.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I haven't watched enough to know some of these guys but what is the difference between Miles Wood and say Kelly Parker or Chase Bradley? Is the difference in play equal to the difference in pay?

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
I haven't watched enough to know some of these guys but what is the difference between Miles Wood and say Kelly Parker or Chase Bradley? Is the difference in play equal to the difference in pay?
Kelly doesn't have much on YT, but he seems like an in your face kind of guy and basically does what Wood does at a third of the price..

Although he's got one thing in common with zadorov, they've both leveled scheifele.

Last edited:

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
But some people here would be even happier if Landeskog's career had ended and he HADN'T won the cup in game 6.

In their picture perfect world the Avs lose game 6. Landeskog announces his injury and immediate retirement and is stripped of the C. Real leader and captain Bowen Byram leads the Avs to the cup in game 7 and as the cup is presented Byram signs an 18 year contract and has the Avs logo tattooed onto his chest. While he pisses on a 92 jersey.
1720396913486.gif

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Parker Kelly is as 4th line as it gets. There's no chance of an elevation in play.

Miles Wood can give you 3rd line minutes. It may not be the best in the league, but he can clearly produce more than someone like Kelly.

Chase Bradley is not an NHLer.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Wood needs to give us ~30 points per year, and that's realistic. A typical 4th liner would be lucky to break 20. Is it worth an extra $1.5m? Eh. If it was a 3 year deal, maybe.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Wood needs to give us ~30 points per year, and that's realistic. A typical 4th liner would be lucky to break 20. Is it worth an extra $1.5m? Eh. If it was a 3 year deal, maybe.
If Wood can play physical and put up more points than a typical fourth liner and not get caved in while he's on the ice that would be worth it. Unfortunately Wood can't.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Imagine in July of 2022 posting "Landy should retire and we should use his 7M elsewhere."

Insanity.
In 2022 that discussion would have been insanity.

In September of 2024, it’s not.

I respect Landeskog as much as any Avs fan, anywhere.

But this upcoming season, it’s time to bring this to a conclusion: either he can effectively play NHL hockey, or he can’t.

It’s time

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
In 2022 that discussion would have been insanity.

In September of 2024, it’s not.

I respect Landeskog as much as any Avs fan, anywhere.

But this upcoming season, it’s time to bring this to a conclusion: either he can effectively play NHL hockey, or he can’t.

It’s time
Sure. The Avs and Landeskog probably feel that way, too. But to suggest it was best post-22 if he retired like some have? Nonsense.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, the earliest a LTIRetirement could’ve been contemplated would’ve been when they realized the cartilage transplant surgery was required. So last offseason.

Prior to that was just not realistic.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Sure. The Avs and Landeskog probably feel that way, too. But to suggest it was best post-22 if he retired like some have? Nonsense.
Hindsight is usually 20/20.

I saw him skate during the playoff's via Evan's video clips. He clearly wasn't ready. So the medical experts prognosis of a playoffs/2nd round return were highly optimistic.

My question is what is his summer training regimen in order to be ready for the 2024-25 season? Is he currently skating some where under someone's tutelage?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad