GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Askarov's agent told some Russian media that he's pushing the Preds for a trade. Dude is turning 23 next week and they feel like he's NHL ready.

Now it would be a bit silly to trade for him after the draft we just had. I sure wish that we'd have paid the price to get him and used our picks on other stuff than long shot goalies. Could have just packaged all those picks and keep piling other stuff until Trotz said yes.

An elite goalie is the ultimate window extender

Last edited:

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
No i just didn't realize he was still out there. Of course he might be looking for more money than we have, but it would be pretty silly not to try to grab him for our 4C hole.
The only issue I see is he played 38 regular season games and got under 19 minutes total SH toi. And only took 139 faceoffs in that time period. 70 hits

547 the previous season with San Jose
106 minutes on PK
Number 1 in hits

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
To be fair, JFresh had Winnipeg extremely high last year and everyone laughed, but Winnipeg ended up second in the division
They were extremely accurate last year. Closer then any other pre-season standings predictions by far.
People can laugh at the stats all they want... Doesn't change the fact these guys(And many others) are consistently right about a bunch of things.

There's a pretty good chance the Avs end up either 3rd or 4th in the division again next year. Though you have to hope getting Landy or Nuke back would push us up a little.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So it assumes we play with a $77m roster while everyone else ices $88m. If they don't play, we'd better at least use the space.

Well, we wont be using the space until the Deadline at this point either way.

Also, its not entirely true that everyone else is icing $88M. Minnesota has almost $15M in cap spent on buyouts this summer. So they're only icing a $73M roster. Winnipeg has $5.5M in buyout money. Nashville has $7.5M in buyout money, $4.25M in retained salary.

Actually a lot of teams in the same boat as the Avs with dead money. It would be a huge benefit for the Avs to not have any dead money and to actually get a full $88m roster.

Bedner would scratch his lazy ass after 2 games.
Lots of us said the same things about Drouin.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I know I tend to be naive but I still believe that Laine will kick some serious ass with his new team and become a 40++ goal scorer.

Dude was one of the best goal scorer ever at age 18 and never got a real top 6 center to play with in the NHL. What a shameful waste of a career so far.

Reactions: Murzu

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Didn't he get scratched a few times?

I honestly cant remember? Maybe a game very early in the year.

But the point I was making is Drouin had the same reputation of being lazy and disinterested defensively when he came to the Avs. But whether it was Bednar, Mackinnon, or just the guys in the locker room in general... Something got through to JD and he completely transformed his game throughout the season to the point I'd argue he was one of the hardest working, hardest backchecking guys on the team by the end, and I personally think it will carry over and we'll see even more of it again this year.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Thoughts on bringing Laine here if Landy or Nuke aren’t coming back?
I don't hate the idea, just don't know how we could make it work. And he will be traded before we know anything about Nuke or Landy.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Do we think Miles Wood gets dealt here at some point? You start letting the potential pieces fall into place, and there’s a very real chances he’s on the 4th line by November…

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Do we think Miles Wood gets dealt here at some point? You start letting the potential pieces fall into place, and there’s a very real chances he’s on the 4th line by November…

Nobody wants that contract, he also has a 6-team no-trade list, so who knows what teams are on there. I could see Buffalo being interested, but also being on the list.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Nobody wants that contract, he also has a 6-team no-trade list, so who knows what teams are on there. I could see Buffalo being interested, but also being on the list.
I don't think the deal is that bad. Yes, it's five years but 2.5mil is not that horrible. Might even be almost buriable in 5 years if Cap goes up properly.

But teams know that if Colorado comes calling in, they certainly are not paying that much for taking on that deal. I don't think we would have to pay teams for taking him, but they are not paying a high price.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I don't think the deal is that bad. Yes, it's five years but 2.5mil is not that horrible. Might even be almost buriable in 5 years if Cap goes up properly.

But teams know that if Colorado comes calling in, they certainly are not paying that much for taking on that deal. I don't think we would have to pay teams for taking him, but they are not paying a high price.

If it was a 1 or 2 year term, there'd probably be some interested teams.

The truth is nobody wants to commit themselves into $12,500,000 and half a decade of term for a potentially 4th line player.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I know I tend to be naive but I still believe that Laine will kick some serious ass with his new team and become a 40++ goal scorer.

Dude was one of the best goal scorer ever at age 18 and never got a real top 6 center to play with in the NHL. What a shameful waste of a career so far.
If he had will, but he doesn't.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well, we wont be using the space until the Deadline at this point either way.

Also, its not entirely true that everyone else is icing $88M. Minnesota has almost $15M in cap spent on buyouts this summer. So they're only icing a $73M roster. Winnipeg has $5.5M in buyout money. Nashville has $7.5M in buyout money, $4.25M in retained salary.

Actually a lot of teams in the same boat as the Avs with dead money. It would be a huge benefit for the Avs to not have any dead money and to actually get a full $88m roster.

Lots of us said the same things about Drouin.

That would leave us like $20m to spend at the deadline, which would be nice, but not entirely necessary. They can bank a bit of space and still make a trade before xmas.

Most of the teams we want to be competing with are. If we run the cap hit of a middle standings team, that's a pretty good bet for the result too.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Miles Wood was born for the fourth line. Molded by it. He didn't see the third line until he was an Av.

Unless you're paying a pick nobody takes Wood. If you put Wood on waivers then after he clears (which he will) then a team might take him in exchange for a shorter term bad contract.

Reactions: tucker3434

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Miles Wood + for Nic Dowd would be an excellent way to fill out the last piece of the puzzle that is our roster:

Drouin - Mack - Mikko
Landy - Mitts - Lehky
LOC - Colton - Kovalenko*
Kelly - Dowd - Kiviranta

With Nichsuhkin replacing Kovalenko in December.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad