GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What are the thoughts here about Tyler Johnson for the 3rd/4th line centre role? Avs need to do something to force Wagner out of the lineup as the extra forward.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Just because Brännström signed for free with the Avs doesn't mean he would have signed the same deal with any other team. Some markets are undesired by free agents and so Girard having some term would actually be attractive for certain teams.
Nah, the gap between those contracts is way too big for similar players

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Look, I want to move Girard as much as the next guy, but who would replace him? If Bo were still here, sure. But there isn't a single top-4 caliber defensemen on the roster or in the system after Makar, Toews, Manson and G. Behrens has an outside shot of one day being a top-4 guy, but that day is far away. And Brannstrom just ain't it. So unless a top4 D making less than G is the return, he's staying.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
What are the thoughts here about Tyler Johnson for the 3rd/4th line centre role? Avs need to do something to force Wagner out of the lineup as the extra forward.
Avs need a bottom 6 C who Bednar can rely on defensively, especially with PK and face-offs. Is Tyler Johnson that guy? Doubtful.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Brethren, with all due respect he was supposed to play six months ago and another six months before that. He got the extra surgery and now they're going to be extra cautious with him. I would be shocked if he plays at the season opener or any time this year 2024. He probably gets his first game somewhere around March after the Four Nations gimmick and at that point, he should honestly be shut down until the playoffs. Think about it, we could've used his money for Marchessault if he already tested out his leg and realised he couldn't play anymore. I want Landeskog back as much as anybody, but we're approaching three years now and at some point, you have to come to the conclusion from the Avs point of view that he's handicapping the team more than helping. Has that point come yet? Not sure yet, but I do know that Avs missed out on an extremely good free-agent class because of this situation.
What your suggesting is purposefully shutting him down for cap space reasons if he is able to play.

I'm saying if he's able to play he needs to start playing because the longer he takes off the less likely it is he'll have a somewhat normal NHL career afterwards.

Reactions: MacKaRant

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Brethren, with all due respect he was supposed to play six months ago and another six months before that. He got the extra surgery and now they're going to be extra cautious with him. I would be shocked if he plays at the season opener or any time this year 2024. He probably gets his first game somewhere around March after the Four Nations gimmick and at that point, he should honestly be shut down until the playoffs. Think about it, we could've used his money for Marchessault if he already tested out his leg and realised he couldn't play anymore. I want Landeskog back as much as anybody, but we're approaching three years now and at some point, you have to come to the conclusion from the Avs point of view that he's handicapping the team more than helping. Has that point come yet? Not sure yet, but I do know that Avs missed out on an extremely good free-agent class because of this situation.
I agree that this is the season that we need to figure out whether Landy will be a player for us during the final years of the contract or whether he'll be on permanent LTIR for the duration.

I don't see how this summer could have played out differently though. Landy is not being traded and he's not actually retiring and giving up that money, so what can he or the Avs even do?

The earlier he comes back this season the better--as long as we know what is the prognosis by the TDL, I think we can make this work.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Every year we sign some guy for cheap and immediately have him replace an established roster player on our team.

I say this regularly. But it’s astounding to me how much time you guys seem to have to be able to watch ALL the other teams play and hone in on specific players and how good they are.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Who would move into the top 4 on D then?

Avs have one of the best top 6 and top 4 in the league. Don’t mess with it.

I think if G was traded, it would be for a cheaper, buy low, less proven, puck moving D.

If Manson is moved, it would be for a cheaper, buy low, less proven, big, physical stay at home D type.

They'd probably just replace them with a similar guy, and they're pretty good at finding buy low candidates, looking to prove themselves.

Reactions: The Moops

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I think if G was traded, it would be for a cheaper, buy low, less proven, puck moving D.

If Manson is moved, it would be for a cheaper, buy low, less proven, big, physical stay at home D type.

They'd probably just replace them with a similar guy, and they're pretty good at finding buy low candidates, looking to prove themselves.
Who would you try to replace Girard and Manson with?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He isn't, but one of the Avs biggest kryptonite of the past couple of seasons is heavy forechequing teams (Vegas, Dallas, and some degree Seattle) and you're supposed to improve in those weaknesses, but Avs got absolutely worse in this regard with him in the top 6. He got eaten alive by clubs like Florida, Carolina, Boston, and Philly before they fell off the cliff.
Brannstrom is fine for the regular season, frankly ideal when teams play at a lower intensity.

As long as they find a replacement at the TDL i'm good with the signing.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm fine with the team as-is until the TDL, then would love if both Seattle and Montreal were on the outs and we could acquire Brandon Tanev, Adam Larsson, and Joel Armia. Give it one final hurrah before Mikko's new boat anchor contract kicks in.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

The fact that the rumoured ask in a potential Colton trade was a cost-controlled RHD seems to indicate that the front office recognises that RHD is their biggest priority right now.

Manson is 33 and behind him at RHD there's nobody in the organisation with legit top 4 upside (or even top 6 depending on what you think of Malinski).

The pipeline for LHD's is also comparatively good with Behrens and Gulyayev behind Girard who himself is still at a prime age.

Point being it's likely that the Avs will try to target a RHD specifically in any prospective trade in the near future, whether it's Colton, Girard, Manson, or anyone else getting moved.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad