GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They'll probably take on some salary from one of the teams over shedding or NYR who want to dump Trouba.

Though I don't think they technically have to. ELC bonuses counts on the AAV and can count on the cap. The real quirk is that teams are allowed to exceed the cap via bonuses then roll it over to a future year. They need to 'spend' 6.6m more but have 8.25m in potential bonuses. I believe they are allowed to count that in this season even if the bonuses are not met to reach the floor.

Yeah that makes sense. Been a couple years since we've had bonuses to really think about so I had forgotten about them.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Dang lotta Girard fan girls in here, he didn’t even help us win the cup. He sucks I can’t say it enough
I really haven't gotten the message yet. I think you should aim to say it several more times per day, ideally in multiple threads. The mindless and inane quantity, rather than the quality, of how many times you say Girard sucks is what will most likely change my mind.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Tatar to the Devils.
He probably shouldn't have ever left there. That team has zero excuse to not make a run next year. Glad Fitzy isn't wasting another year.

Crazy to think they still have some good assets to make moves too. 26/27 1sts, 5 2nds in the next 3 seasons, Casey (who is super underrated), Vilen, Silayev, etc. They can still add to the team if needed... or allow those pieces to filter in.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
That’s my point though, his cap hit is not negligible and he doesn’t help us get to the cup. It might not have been his fault we didn’t win this year but he definitely isn’t moving the needle for this team
Just because we didn't need him when we won the cup, doesn't mean that he doesn't help us.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
One thing of note with our salary cap issues, we currently have a 20 man roster. If Nuke comes back, we don't have to carry 21. So if we send somebody down, we get that cap space back. We can squeak under the cap without any additional moves. That's assuming a fully healthy roster (won't happen). It would mean planning on a 20, sometimes 21, man roster all year, which would be risky. I think we could carry 21 for the road trips. But we don't have to make any trades to be cap complaint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
At least we have moved on from trading Colton.
I never read the rumours thread on here because it's too fast and too whiny and I don't know who half of the players are but it's been fun reading this thread and seeing the cycle of scapegoating. A full week of trying to will Colton out the door, now today it's completely shifted to Girard. Fascinating.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
One thing of note with our salary cap issues, we currently have a 20 man roster. If Nuke comes back, we don't have to carry 21. So if we send somebody down, we get that cap space back. We can squeak under the cap without any additional moves. That's assuming a fully healthy roster (won't happen). It would mean planning on a 20, sometimes 21, man roster all year, which would be risky. I think we could carry 21 for the road trips. But we don't have to make any trades to be cap complaint.
Has a team ever run a roster that thin?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
One thing of note with our salary cap issues, we currently have a 20 man roster. If Nuke comes back, we don't have to carry 21. So if we send somebody down, we get that cap space back. We can squeak under the cap without any additional moves. That's assuming a fully healthy roster (won't happen). It would mean planning on a 20, occasionally 21, man roster all year, which would be risky. But we don't have to make any trades to be cap complaint.
Effectively... counting Nuke at 4.9m for the whole season and factoring 21 skaters for the whole year is really the minimum if you're planing almost no injuries. Which would have the Avs a bit above the cap and needing to cut. A lot can happen though and right now the Avs can start the season with no moves. A long-term injury may help the Avs, but a short term could burn them. I'd say there is a decent chance that at least once during the year the Avs play short a man to get a free callup.

I never read the rumours thread on here because it's too fast and too whiny and I don't know who half of the players are but it's been fun reading this thread and seeing the cycle of scapegoating. A full week of trying to will Colton out the door, now today it's completely shifted to Girard. Fascinating.

It was way longer than a week, so be thankful you don't read that thread often.

Has a team ever run a roster that thin?
Not for a whole season. For spurts, yeah.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
At least we have moved on from trading Colton.
1719951559766.gif

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
He'd better than De Haan, Malinski, Rosen, and MacNorris (sorry) though, so there's that
I love the Brannstrom signing!!

I hope we keep going and keep adding serviceable players that we can still bury in the AHL if needed and call-up in case of injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad