GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Does Brannstrom really fill any specific role...? I'd kinda prefer if we added someone with more size and physicality on the bottom pair...only Manson brings anything in that role right now.

Reactions: Murzu

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Brannstrom would be a really good add for the Avs honestly. He's had a couple good years for Ottawa.

Not much size but a decent puckmover and actually decent defensively. And he plays the PK. Averaged 1:30 a game with the Sens last year so he could take some minutes for us on the PK also.

I feel like he isn't a guy that would get a league minimum deal though so I dunno where we get the money for him honestly.

He feels like someone who will get $1-1.5M.
Plus we can get rid of Girard if he works out.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
I kind of had Malinski penciled in at 3RD with De Haan after yesterdays moves. Just cause he showed he can play at this level (should probs be sheltered a bit tho) and he would need a steady defensive guy with him. But now I think Malinski might not even make the team, or best be the #7 to start the year? I don’t think he’s waivers exempt anymore

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
McDavid may not repeat his assist record (partly because I don't think Hyman puts up those numbers again), but he also likely gets his shot back next year and will go back to scoring goals instead of creating them.

I would also not bet against McDavid dragging that team through another playoff run.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Does Brannstrom really fill any specific role...? I'd kinda prefer if we added someone with more size and physicality on the bottom pair...only Manson brings anything in that role right now.
Nope... he's better than Malinski, but just barely.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
What about Motte for 4C?
He's a winger not C

Rather add the more skilled Dman now when it's free to do so, and then add a meat-snd-potatoes RD at the deadline instead.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Avs gotta move someone and that guy is Girard, ideally it’d be Nuke.
We are in no hurry to make moves. We can start the season as it is, we are under the cap. And only Nuke is giving us cap relief. Landeskog and LOC are counted against the cap, and we are around 4.5M under with this Brännström signing.

Unless CapFriendly is f***ing BS and I've had too many beers to make clear of it.

Reactions: avalanche_country

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Is that counting Landy and if/when nuke returns?
It's counting Landy, but not Nuke. If/when Nuke returns, we have to make moves. But like I said, we have time to deal with it.

If we are really in a pinch, we trade away Colton/Wood for poor value or waive them. I would say that's the ideal case, if Landeskog and Nuke are both good to play.

Reactions: avalanche_country

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Brannstrom is just a weird fit here as a bottom pairing guy. He's small, good/not great skater, doesn't PK well, and not talented enough offensively to take a PP role over Makar, Toews and Girard. He's going to mostly end up a risk/reward 11-12 minute a night guy who Bednar doesn't trust.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Brannstrom is just a weird fit here as a bottom pairing guy. He's small, good/not great skater, doesn't PK well, and not talented enough offensively to take a PP role over Makar, Toews and Girard. He's going to mostly end up a risk/reward 11-12 minute a night guy who Bednar doesn't trust.
It's a reclamation project. Worst case scenario, he plays for the Eagles.

We aren't that short on contract slots are we?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
He'd better than De Haan, Malinski, Rosen, and MacNorris (sorry) though, so there's that

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Brannstrom doesn’t fit an obvious need, I wonder if the team is considering moving Girard, Anaheim has been very quiet thus far

Reactions: Sascha

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Is this going to be the nth year in a row where people expect the Red Wings, Sens, and Sabres all to take the next step and then they will all miss the playoffs again?

Reactions: Chiarelli

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's a reclamation project. Worst case scenario, he plays for the Eagles.

We aren't that short on contract slots are we?
Not short on contract spots, I just don't see the fit. The AHL team has enough puck movers, even if he could pass through waivers (which I'd guess he wouldn't as some bad team will take him).
He'd better than De Haan, Malinski, Rosen, and MacNorris (sorry) though, so there's that
I don't think he's better than De Haan or Rosen. It is about the fit though. There is no real PP opportunity and the Avs could really use a guy to take some PK load during the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad