GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
One additional thought on Edmonton: there is an article that says the Oilers front office won't let Draisaitl walk into UFA status: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...eon-draisaitl-play-out-final-year-of-contract

Any predictions on what's going to happen there? No offense to our Edmonton-based posters, but I can't see Draisaitl voluntarily re-upping in Edmonton. I think their front office would be stupid to trade him instead of letting that team go on one more run together regardless of whether Draisaitl commits to the team long- term, but the rumors say that asset management might win the day.

Could Draisaitl refusing to sign long term blow up that team?
Drai will re-sign for >13m

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So which players do we still want Avs to go after? Kylington will probably be the best of the rest, and Barabanov as a bottom 6 role. Yes please. Blackwell is another one to look for along with JvR and Cousins potentially, but I rather not have Cousins.

You sure? Vegas will always be in big game hunting, I could easily see them cut ties with Stone and give him to a team that still highly values him and use those assets to get Marner who would be better insulated than in Toronto.
I mean big game hunting or not, look at that team up front. We're talking players like Brett Howden, Nic Roy, and Keegan Kolesar potentially playing top nine minutes on the wings consistently. Yuck. Hertl showed signs of his age last season, that isn't changing. Ditto Pietrangelo.

They very well could strike gold again, but I can't see it right now.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
McDavid had outlier playoffs same as Bouchard. No way they repeat those.
It's McDavid so anything's possible. Bouchard's production was a direct result.

This biggest thing I see as unsustainable from an Oilers perspective is their insane PK numbers. They outscored most powerplays with their shorties. At some point that will regress to the mean - they were just super hot. And those SHGs were huge momentum swinging moments, definitely not reliable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So which players do we still want Avs to go after? Kylington will probably be the best of the rest, and Barabanov as a bottom 6 role. Yes please. Blackwell is another one to look for along with JvR and Cousins potentially, but I rather not have Cousins.

You sure? Vegas will always be in big game hunting, I could easily see them cut ties with Stone and give him to a team that still highly values him and use those assets to get Marner who would be better insulated than in Toronto.
Kylington would be the best option.

Vegas' trading will be the whole key to it. If they can grab a big talent, they can elevate. Not sure how they can pull off a Marner trade (though if he his UFA, I'd expect him to sign there next summer
I mean big game hunting or not, look at that team up front. We're talking players like Brett Howden, Nic Roy, and Keegan Kolesar potentially playing top nine minutes on the wings consistently. Yuck. Hertl showed signs of his age last season, that isn't changing. Ditto Pietrangelo.

Roy's fine in a 3rd line role. They are clearly expecting Brisson and Doro to take a step forward with Holtz and Denisenko as the back up options. I don't think Doro does much better... but Brisson could add a lot.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Age and wear 'n' tear are probably the biggest factors against them, but I am still a big believer in their talent. I agree that they ain't winning that division anymore, but Hill was injury-plagued and I like him a lot more than any goaler in that division after Demko. I quite like Roy, so I don't deem it as much of a negative as you do, and considering they are pretty well insulated, it's not too much of a problem for me to have Howden and Kolesar playing higher than their minutes warranted. Are they winning another Cup with the current team? Good chance no, but definitely have the talent to make the 2nd/Conference Finals easily, especially if they're able to go through the Pacific bracket.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IIRC the Global start doesn't count for the 'regular season days' so Oct 8 will be the start and April 13th will be the end. 188 days. Nuke being out until Nov 14 is 37/188 or $1.2m.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

We need a 4C and another Dman ideally.

Agree on Kylington; stylistically he'd be a good fit with the Avs.

The 4C market is pretty bad, options are Blackwell, Lorentz, Tierney, Bellemare, JAD, Petan, Groulx, Colin White, Ryan Carpenter... Not a lot of good ones to choose from really. Maybe just roll with Wagner and Pavel and add a proper 4C later unless a decent one shakes loose via trade or waivers.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Just saw we could be close to signing Brannstrom. If you search his name and Colorado it’s right there I just don’t have the time to screenshot and edit right now lol

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
They aren't going to throw away the genie that gives them a free shopping spree at the deadline every year

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Just saw we could be close to signing Brannstrom. If you search his name and Colorado it’s right there I just don’t have the time to screenshot and edit right now lol

Brannstrom would be a really good add for the Avs honestly. He's had a couple good years for Ottawa.

Not much size but a decent puckmover and actually decent defensively. And he plays the PK. Averaged 1:30 a game with the Sens last year so he could take some minutes for us on the PK also.

I feel like he isn't a guy that would get a league minimum deal though so I dunno where we get the money for him honestly.

He feels like someone who will get $1-1.5M.

Reactions: Bender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad