GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Their backup behind Skinner is Pickard and their shitass defense is the same.
I find this an interesting take. Their playoff 5v5 xGA/60 was practically the same as the Avs and Bruins. All situations was only behind Florida and Dallas for teams that made it out of the first round. During the regular season they were 9th and 5th in those areas. They may not have the greatest names, but Edmonton is very underrated on the defensive side of the puck. The exchange to Brown and Broberg should help a bit.

The big question is will Ekholm hold up for another year?

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
So much that I seemed to miss yesterday, what on earth are the Sens and Kraken doing?

I was beginning to like Utah but then I see they signed Ian Cole.

Is Toronto really keeping Marner?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I find this an interesting take. Their playoff 5v5 xGA/60 was practically the same as the Avs and Bruins. All situations was only behind Florida and Dallas for teams that made it out of the first round. During the regular season they were 9th and 5th in those areas. They may not have the greatest names, but Edmonton is very underrated on the defensive side of the puck. The exchange to Brown and Broberg should help a bit.

Or can that play sustain into next year? Guys have career years. Teams have "career years" if that makes any sense.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Their backup behind Skinner is Pickard and their shitass defense is the same.
The oilers going to the cup was the worst thing they are constantly shoved down the throat of anyone here watching SN.

Ardvidson sucks now and Skinner was bought out by a team with a ton of cap because even the shitty sabres felt better paying him to leave.

Their d is weaker without Vinny.
They are an incredibly flawed team and the only way they can win is when #97 literally plays at record setting paces.
They got gifted the kings, barely beat the nucks without Demko and then played a Dallas team who overachieved all year.
Avs or Vegas would have whipped their ass.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

ffc3e0b4971ab2ac56836b2f2cbf14fa.jpg

This isn't about facts, egghead!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Or can that play sustain into next year? Guys have career years. Teams have "career years" if that makes any sense.
The improvement happened when they changed coaches, and the improvement was around ~.15-.2 xGA/60. They weren't especially lucky and their numbers were still very good against top teams. There really isn't much to say it isn't sustainable outside of aging.

On the flip side, Bouchard could take a step forward defensively, Broberg looked really good in the playoffs, and they've solidified their bottom 6. I'd say odds are higher they slightly improve vs take a step back.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
What Edmonton has done (and the buy-in they've gotten from a couple of guys who could have gotten more) is impressive IMO purely from the perspective that it's not often that the team that makes it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals somehow improves on paper during the offseason. Doesn't mean they'll win next year, but it's impressive.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm surprised Lindholm got as much as he did after the way he played all season.

Happy for Zadorov for getting that deal and finally something long-term. I don't think that'll age well but good for him!

I thought the Canucks made some reasonable bets. That's a lot of term for DeBrusk but I like the player.

What is that Stephenson contract? Wow.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
What Edmonton has done (and the buy-in they've gotten from a couple of guys who could have gotten more) is impressive IMO purely from the perspective that it's not often that the team that makes it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals somehow improves on paper during the offseason. Doesn't mean they'll win next year, but it's impressive.
Ya as much as it pains me to say it, the Oilers are probably the odds on favourite going into next year. Doesn't mean they'll win it and a lot needs to go right in a playoff run, but they should still get out of their division. With Vegas weakened (so far) it's probably up to us or Vancouver to stop them

Reactions: Mighty Makar

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Oilers did some nice moves and should be a top 5 team, but they still have question marks. Just quickly browsing, they have probably the oldest team in the league now where 8 of their forwards are 31+. Also their most steady d is 34 and 3 others are 30ish. See how they handle a short offseason and potentially another long run.

Avs for reference only have Landy currently signed over 31 in the forward core, albiet slightly older dcore overall.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The oilers going to the cup was the worst thing they are constantly shoved down the throat of anyone here watching SN.

Ardvidson sucks now and Skinner was bought out by a team with a ton of cap because even the shitty sabres felt better paying him to
Arvidsson was quite good last year. His issue is staying healthy more than talent at this point

And Skinner is still a good top 6 player, just not worth his contract.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I thought the Canucks made some reasonable bets. That's a lot of term for DeBrusk but I like the player.

Ya as much as it pains me to say it, the Oilers are probably the odds on favourite going into next year. Doesn't mean they'll win it and a lot needs to go right in a playoff run, but they should still get out of their division. With Vegas weakened (so far) it's probably up to us or Vancouver to stop them

Yeah I think Vancouver is the team that has the most potential to take a step forward. DeBrusk is a gem at that AAV.

Oilers did some nice moves and should be a top 5 team, but they still have question marks. Just quickly browsing, they have probably the oldest team in the league now where 8 of their forwards are 31+. Also their most steady d is 34 and 3 others are 30ish. See how they handle a short offseason and potentially another long run.

Avs for reference only have Landy currently signed over 31 in the forward core, albiet slightly older dcore overall.
Age I think is the biggest question for them... can they sustain one more season? After this upcoming season, they'll be decimated depth wise with no real prospects to backfill. They pretty much have to win next year or its Joever.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Exactly. We had very hard time after the Cup. Sure, they are more motivated after the Cup run but probably very banged up too. I hope it hurts them.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Oilers still have a pretty horrendous defense, and I'm not sure bringing in pure offense guys like Skinner and Arvidsson was necessarily the play either.

On paper the forward group looks pretty great, but then you look and you really don't see anybody that's a standout two way player. Nor do they have guys that are particularly hard to play against aside from Kane who may not be with the team anymore.

Will be interesting to see how that group does in the playoffs next year.

FWIW I really do think, if we can get fully healthy this year, we've got a hell of a forward group as well. If Landy can get back and playing at a high level, we're gonna have the huge luxury of playing either him or Lehky on the 3rd line again:

Drouin - Mack - Mikko
Lehky - Mitts - Nuke
Landy - Colton - LOC
Wood - ???? - Kelly

Pretty solid group honestly. And they'll have a 2025 2nd to upgrade the roster if needed(Though I'd bet money this goes on a RHD at the deadline).

Last edited:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
As it stands, our opening night roster is looking like

Drouin-MacK-Rants
Landy/Lehky-Mitts-LOC
Wood-Colton-Kivi
Kelly-Wagner-Kovalenko

Toews-Makar
G-Manson
Rosen-De Haan
MacD

4giev
Fatty

Yikes. Brutal

This team isn't even a lock for the playoffs if one top guy gets injured. We have to overplay our top stars again..

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yeah I think Vancouver is the team that has the most potential to take a step forward. DeBrusk is a gem at that AAV.
It wasn't that far off that they would've eliminated the Oilers this season. There's a lot of ifs and buts, kinda like we did with Nuke. Now I'm not sure if we can win against Dallas even with Nuke, but would've been closer. If the Canucks had healthy Demko, Boeser for G7 and EP40 wasn't a sack of shit? Who knows.

Like I said, ifs and buts, revisionist history. But I think a lot of people still don't give Vancouver enough respect. I think they are a more balanced team than the Oilers. It's just that Oilers have McDavid. If Pettersson can play to his normal standard, for me Vancouver is the better team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It wasn't that far off that they would've eliminated the Oilers this season. There's a lot of ifs and buts, kinda like we did with Nuke. Now I'm not sure if we can win against Dallas even with Nuke, but would've been closer. If the Canucks had healthy Demko, Boeser for G7 and EP40 wasn't a sack of shit? Who knows.

Like I said, ifs and buts, revisionist history. But I think a lot of people still don't give Vancouver enough respect. I think they are a more balanced team than the Oilers. It's just that Oilers have McDavid. If Pettersson can play to his normal standard, for me Vancouver is the better team.
Losing Lindholm and Z will hurt, but I think their additions of DeBrusk and Heinen will push that forward group ahead of last year's team. Even before Raty and Lekkerimaki break through. They'll need to make a deadline addition on defense though.

Certainly though, Vancouver is on the right track. Probably the next team for the top of the West throne when the old guard gives way.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The improvement happened when they changed coaches, and the improvement was around ~.15-.2 xGA/60. They weren't especially lucky and their numbers were still very good against top teams. There really isn't much to say it isn't sustainable outside of aging.

On the flip side, Bouchard could take a step forward defensively, Broberg looked really good in the playoffs, and they've solidified their bottom 6. I'd say odds are higher they slightly improve vs take a step back.

McDavid had outlier playoffs same as Bouchard. No way they repeat those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad