GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He's 29; injury history; and managed a good 56 point season in a contract year with some prime minutes with top players. He's good, not great, and breaking the bank for him would be idiotic.
Forget his point total. His ability to play away from the puck, his defensive game and his board battles were among the very best on the team. Add elite passing and vision and he's a much, much better player than Colton. Completely different tier.

I highly doubt that he's asking for the moon, probably the opposite, but we have no f***ing cap space. It doesn't matter if something is dirt cheap when you have no money.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Forget his point total. His ability to play away from the puck, his defensive game and his board battles were among the very best on the team. Add elite passing and vision and he's a much, much better player than Colton. Completely different tier.

I highly doubt that he's asking for the moon, probably the opposite, but we have no f***ing cap space. It doesn't matter if something is dirt cheap when you have no money.
I suppose I just have enough basic faith in this management group to know that -- especially after Drouin's agent raved about meeting with them -- that they want Drouin back, know that he's MacK's friend (which is why they signed him...), have seriously pursued their options, and if Drouin was literally willing to sign a great deal that it would already be done by now. I'm not going to start imagining scenarios where Drouin is willing to sign an amazing deal but management are just a bunch of bozos who met with Drouin's agent as soon as the season ended as a funny prank and are refusing to sign Drouin to the really team-friendly deal that he wants to sign asap.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Drouin goes and signs an amazing deal with another club, and then you can come back and call me an idiot. But given that absolutely nobody has even heard what money and term Drouin wants, I'm not going to start calling management a bunch of idiots who didn't appreciate how great Drouin really is compared to Colton quite yet.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't get it. Wings don't make the playoffs, NJD also missed but looks better already, and Detroit isn't really a nice city. Yzerman must have some dirt on him.

Kane likes the area (the nicer part where the players live probably) and has always had respect for their organization. Plus the original six factor.

Potentially playing with Stamkos could be a draw too, since he already won a Cup, and vice versa. Also gives him a chance to pick a contender to be traded to, if the Wings are out of the playoffs at the deadline.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Kane likes the area (the nicer part where the players live probably) and has always had respect for their organization. Plus the original six factor.

Potentially playing with Stamkos could be a draw too, since he already won a Cup, and vice versa. Also gives him a chance to pick a contender to be traded to, if the Wings are out of the playoffs at the deadline.

Where the hell is that?

Jk.. To be honest you can go back an fourth between Buffalo and Detroit very fast if you have the right boat, and the party scene is crazy on Lake Erie.

So yeah, he can get paid, go merc it up at the TDL if needed, and be close to home.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Bring our boy back
PTO never hurts. But if CMac does that, Bednar needs to have Manson and every other player absolutely testing him in board battles. Stress the hell out of his back to make damn sure he can hold up. Even then, no more than league minimum on a one year deal if he truly earned it over others. I'd be very skeptical.

The thing with Murray is that he spent 1/2 of his career on IR. 1/4 of his career shaking the rust off his game from that last injury. 1/4 of his career showing promise but then another injury hits.

He was never healthy long enough to find out if he had any real consistency to his game.

Reactions: Vk1ing

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
PTO never hurts. But if CMac does that, Bednar needs to have Manson and every other player absolutely testing him in board battles. Stress the hell out of his back to make damn sure he can hold up. Even then, no more than league minimum on a one year deal if he truly earned it over others. I'd be very skeptical.

The thing with Murray is that he spent 1/2 of his career on IR. 1/4 of his career shaking the rust off his game from that last injury. 1/4 of his career showing promise but then another injury hits.

He was never healthy long enough to find out if he had any real consistency to his game.
Or just stay away lol

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle

I'm mostly tongue in cheek. I don't think there is much left there. But he he wants to come to camp, why not.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Where the hell is that?

Bloomfield? The affluent parts where the players live.

Also, not sure where JTC lives, but I think his former Av teammates visited his new home this year when they were in town, and were complimentary about it.

Kane said he likes the area, that was one of his reasons for signing there last year. Proximity to Buffalo probably played a factor too.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
So who's our first signing tomorrow?
Prediction #1 is they announce Drouin on a 5-6 year deal at a low(ish) AAV.
Prediction #2 is that some buyout player signs a 1 year with Colorado.

Bold prediction: They trade Girard for cap space/picks to Anaheim, sign Brannstrom on a 1-year as a 'replacement'.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
After flaming out of the 1st round and getting unceremoniously booted out of the 2nd round the past two years, it only makes sense to keep the status quo. Just next level management while employing 3 top 15 players in the league.

Would love to see Booth and Cmac start a conference on how to waste the prime years of elite/generational players. I would definitely buy a ticket.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Bloomfield? The affluent parts where the players live.

Also, not sure where JTC lives, but I think his former Av teammates visited his new home this year when they were in town, and were complimentary about it.

Kane said he likes the area, that was one of his reasons for signing there last year. Proximity to Buffalo probably played a factor too.

Lol, I did say jk.. Detroit has plenty of rich areas with all of the old money around.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00