GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

EdAVSfan

Aug 28, 2009
The avs aren’t picking Colton over Drouin. They play different positions on the team.

You need a 3C replacement for Colton

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Still some time. Its possible a drouin deal is already done and avs are waiting to make a move before announcing.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The avs aren’t picking Colton over Drouin. They play different positions on the team.

You need a 3C replacement for Colton
They need to shave off money somewhere and 4M for a mediocre 3C isn't a bargain

I guess it's not a bargain for other teams either which is part of the issue

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It's really disappointing that they couldn't figure out something to get Drouin signed. Sick of watching talented players walk in favor of less talented guys. Started with picking G over Kadri, and now it's Colton over Drouin. Just frustrating.

Obviously Drouin isn't a goner yet, but it's not looking good. Hoping something gets done quickly here, but not holding my breath at this point.
Kind of a weird way to look at things, imo.

They let Kadri go because they didn't want to pay him $7M until he was 39 years old...there's nothing complicated about that.

I find it weird that every so often someone mentions how we should have kept him at all costs BUT had we done it, would have still been one of the people complaining we re-signed him for so long after his game falls off a cliff at some point.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

It’s average 3C money for an average 3C…if we paid less than that we’re getting a size worse player.

It’s cheaper to find/acquire top 6 wingers than middle-6 C’s

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
In an ideal world, Landeskog should be starting on the 3rd line when he is ready. Just can't see him immediately being a impact player in the top six after so much time off. I really hope they find a way to keep Drouin so we have the option to keep Landy low in the depth chart.

EdAVSfan

Aug 28, 2009

It’s not about it being a bargain or not.

If you’re moving out Colton, you either need to get a better 3C or a cheaper one. I don’t think the Avs love the idea of getting an inferior player. Trying to find a cost friendly quality 3C probably isn’t that cheap or easy.

This isn’t a Drouin vs Colton debate. Its a matter of whether the Avs can get their hands on a quality replacement first.

Reactions: Richard88

EdAVSfan

Aug 28, 2009
It’s average 3C money for an average 3C…if we paid less than that we’re getting a size worse player.

It’s cheaper to find/acquire top 6 wingers than middle-6 C’s
I know people keep harping on average 3C.

Let me ask you RL. What are the ideal things you want in a 3C? Like list them out.

What of these things on your list is a Colton good at?

I want my 3C to be solid defensively, good at faceoffs, PK friendly and not a black hole offensively. IMO, Colton satisfies one of these requirements that I would like in a 3C.

Among the 3Cs that we face in the playoffs, which teams have a 3C better than Colton?
Should I really care if hes a better 3C than all the bottom teams?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It’s not about it being a bargain or not.

If you’re moving out Colton, you either need to get a better 3C or a cheaper one. I don’t think the Avs love the idea of getting an inferior player. Trying to find a cost friendly quality 3C probably isn’t that cheap or easy.

This isn’t a Drouin vs Colton debate. Its a matter of whether the Avs can get their hands on a quality replacement first.
Jesus Christ

It's not about replacing Colton, it's about finding money to keep Drouin.

They'd replace Colton with a cheap bottom 6 center who'd be a downgrade but not a massive one since Colton isn't a good 3C. The only big loss here is losing Drouin for nothing. This is a significantly bigger loss than whatever 3C downgrade we'd have.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Jesus Christ

They'd replace Colton with a cheap bottom 6 center who'd be a downgrade but not a massive one since Colton isn't a good 3C. The only big loss here is losing Drouin for nothing. This is a significantly bigger loss than whatever 3C downgrade we'd have.
Push comes to shove, would you waive Colton just to re-sign Drouin?

I probably would

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
So the Avs have 3 and a half hours to move Colton before his NTC kicks in, CMac needs to shit or get off the pot.

I'd much rather have the money for Drouin.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I mean if there is a reasonable number for Drouin, we could just say f*** it and sign the damn deal. There is plenty of time to find the cap space until Nuke returns. We are all talking about taking his number into consideration and this is true, but we have time to figure it out.
If I knew that a team would pick him up yes I would. At this point I value 4M of cap space higher than I value Ross Colton.
I have zero doubts some team would claim him

EdAVSfan

Aug 28, 2009
Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Maybe the avs don’t want an inferior 3C. Maybe they don’t want a downgrade. They clearly want Drouin, Walsh made that clear. Doesn’t mean they want him at all costs

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00