NHL Expansion back on agenda?

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
32 team sched of 82 games probably needs to dump conferences
4x games in division (28)
2x games with 6 teams in each other division (36)
3x games with 2 teams in each other division (18)
Playoff seeding is top 4 in each division
Division semi
Division final
Conf final (or reseed remaining division winners)
SCF

34 team sched of 82 games probably needs to dump divisions and conferences
2x games across league (66)
3x games with 16 teams across league (16)
Playoff seeding is top 16 in league
4 rounds

36 team Sched of 82 games probably still dumps divisions and conferences
2x games across league (70)
3x games with 12 teams across league (12)
Playoff seeding stays the same as above

Final Baton

Nov 13, 2010
Québec city

34,664 announced attendance for the two games combined. No Canadian team playing, no Nordiques. Fan support isn't an issue. Maybe.....just maybe, this could inspire someone(s) to step up and become co-owner(s).
With regular-season ticket prices too.

I think there'd need to be a rich american owner willing to purchase the espansion team though, for a team to land here. I don't think there's someone in Québec that has both the fortune, and the interest in running a sports franchise.

And even then : I don't think this BOG likes this market. So I don't believe it will happen.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Strong attendance in novelty situations does absolutely nothing to address any of the challenges the QC market would face with a team.

Weak corporate support
Exchange rate problems
Ownership ability to weather attendance dips

The Jets are facing that that third one, but are owned by someone who can easily handle it, and is willing to do so (at least as long as it’s temporary).

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Maybe.....just maybe, this could inspire someone(s) to step up and become co-owner(s).
Perhaps it will attract others to invest. But even if a couple preseason games does get the money rolling, there are a number of other challenges with the QC market that don't exist in the other known prospective markets.

Final Baton

Nov 13, 2010
Québec city
The attendance was always good in Qc city, even with poor teams on the ice.

I would not be worried about selling corporate suites either; for having lived here and close to it all my life, I can say that this city has changed a lot(for the better). It is way more diverse economically than it was, jobs aren't just about the parliamemt anymore. Everyone in the province and who has visited the city recently know it, but those outside generally don't.

The prospective wealthy owner is the only roadblock IMO.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'm pretty sure they mean teams playing against each other even less often than now.
If this is the case (I'm not saying this is your opinion CTHabs), this is something worth bitching about? I don't get it.

I'd think we'd still see the division rivals a million times a year anyway.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
If this is the case (I'm not saying this is your opinion CTHabs), this is something worth bitching about? I don't get it.

I'd think we'd still see the division rivals a million times a year anyway.
Tell me your team never had a rivalry without telling me your team never had a rivalry

Yeah, less Bruins-Leafs, more Bruins-Kraken and Leafs-Ducks. Hooray!...said no one ever.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Tell me your team never had a rivalry without telling me your team never had a rivalry

Yeah, less Bruins-Leafs, more Bruins-Kraken and Leafs-Ducks. Hooray!...said no one ever.
So that's a watered down schedule? Getting a better variety of games? This works both ways. Sweet! I get to see a Jackets-Islanders game for the 7th time this season?! ...said no one ever.

You did totally ignore where I said that I doubt they reduce the division rivalry games that much, as well.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA

This complaint, while valid, is not the result of expansion. Team owners, who are members of the Board of Governors, made the choice to see every team in every building at least once per season. That's it.

The league, if they wanted, could expand to 60 teams and still find ways to maintain rivalries if they so chose. But the schedules today are crafted with everyone playing everyone else at least once in mind. I don't really like it any more than you do, as I've said. I want more rivalry games.

I thought the Thrashers would've had a nice rivalry with the Preds if they saw each other more often (and if they do it right, maybe that rivalry could finally happen once the Thrashers return), for example. Leafs-Bruins is legendary. But teams playing each other less is the result of scheduling, not the result of expansion.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Atlanta hosted sold out preseason games in The Omni in the early 1990s, leading to the Knights coming to town.

Maybe QC should have an AHL affiliate for the Habs.

ECHL/AHL isn't viewed higher than CHL in Canada. Hamilton AHL attendence vs OHL attendence is negligible.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This complaint, while valid, is not the result of expansion. Team owners, who are members of the Board of Governors, made the choice to see every team in every building at least once per season. That's it.

The league, if they wanted, could expand to 60 teams and still find ways to maintain rivalries if they so chose. But the schedules today are crafted with everyone playing everyone else at least once in mind. I don't really like it any more than you do, as I've said. I want more rivalry games.

I thought the Thrashers would've had a nice rivalry with the Preds if they saw each other more often (and if they do it right, maybe that rivalry could finally happen once the Thrashers return), for example. Leafs-Bruins is legendary. But teams playing each other less is the result of scheduling, not the result of expansion.

I hope the every-team-in-every-building mentality goes away when they expand (in reality, I hope it goes away before that).

Divisional opponents shouldn't be going much more than a month without seeing each other, unless there's no way to do the schedule otherwise. That means 6 games against each divisional opponent.

• Love
Reactions: dj4aces

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I hope the every-team-in-every-building mentality goes away when they expand (in reality, I hope it goes away before that).

Divisional opponents shouldn't be going much more than a month without seeing each other, unless there's no way to do the schedule otherwise. That means 6 games against each divisional opponent.
You and me both! I think divisional opponents, and conference opponents to a lesser extent, matter far more than opponents in the west coming east and vice versa.

It's always felt to me like this "every team in every building" thing is a hands-off lackluster approach to marketing star players.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You and me both! I think divisional opponents, and conference opponents to a lesser extent, matter far more than opponents in the west coming east and vice versa.

It's always felt to me like this "every team in every building" thing is a hands-off lackluster approach to marketing star players.
Reality is that unless it's a Sid/Ovy/Bedard/MacKinnon etc. you're not going to get too excited about seeing non conf teams. Certain big markets that have more fans throughout North America like Boston, NYR, Montreal, fans in the west will want to see them as well. Teams without that following, not so much.

There are pros and cons either way. At lease the NHL doesn't do load management like the NBA so that even if they are to come to each city, there are stars that sit out games.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Reality is that unless it's a Sid/Ovy/Bedard/MacKinnon etc. you're not going to get too excited about seeing non conf teams. Certain big markets that have more fans throughout North America like Boston, NYR, Montreal, fans in the west will want to see them as well. Teams without that following, not so much.

There are pros and cons either way. At lease the NHL doesn't do load management like the NBA so that even if they are to come to each city, there are stars that sit out games.
You have transplants all over the place though. So if you're Dallas you want a game against Buffalo because you know the Western NY transplants will turn out even if both you and the Sabres are down. Also fans like novelty.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You have transplants all over the place though. So if you're Dallas you want a game against Buffalo because you know the Western NY transplants will turn out even if both you and the Sabres are down. Also fans like novelty.
Agreed. It will go back and forth. Too much of the same thing becomes repetitive.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
It's funny, telling a transplant about transplants. Love it.

But seriously, yes, The transplants in a market apply sometimes, but not always. There are far more Detroiters here in Atlanta (I'm one of them) than Atlantans in Detroit.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
It's funny, telling a transplant about transplants. Love it.

But seriously, yes, The transplants in a market apply sometimes, but not always. There are far more Detroiters here in Atlanta (I'm one of them) than Atlantans in Detroit.
I am a multi-time transplant. I am aware Atlanta has a lot of transplants from all over the place. I am sure there are a lot people from St Louis as well. Detroit has a lot of ex-pats all over the place too. I am sure there are a bunch in Dallas. I didn't use Detroit in my example because they have a national following including people who aren't from Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad