NHL Entry Draft 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
ESPN is just glazing every single player that gets picked, so I'm not relying on them for any real analysis. Those of you that follow this closer, do you think this lines up with the stated goal of taking swings or risks?

No, I woudn't say that. Surin plays a very rugged (nasty even), playoff hockey style. Has skill too and was outstanding in the MHL playoffs, which means his stock rose late in the season.

The question about him is playmaking, so he might not be a C long term. But he's an NHL player.

Trotz was just forced to trade Afanasyev because he threatened to go back to Russia... so he immediately uses an even higher pick to draft another Russian? :huh:

I didn't realize all Russian hockey players are the same.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Jeez people, as if any of us has a better clue than the scouts. And Pronman had him at 21 with a very positive write up:

21. Montreal Canadiens: Egor Surin, C, Yaroslavl Jr. (RUSSIA-JR.)​

Surin is a well-liked player in the league due to sky high compete level and his stock is high following a great playoff in Russia’s junior level. His name is buzzing following his strong showing at the Dan Milstein camp last week, and some scouts could see him even go higher than this slot.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Only good thing I can think of about this pick that Surin is under contract in Russia until 2026. So our development staff can't ruin him in the meantime.

On the other hand, he's a Russian contemplating of coming over to NA, he'll get buried in their development system as well.

Oh well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Jeez people, as if any of us has a better clue than the scouts. And Pronman had him at 21 with a very positive write up:

21. Montreal Canadiens: Egor Surin, C, Yaroslavl Jr. (RUSSIA-JR.)​

Surin is a well-liked player in the league due to sky high compete level and his stock is high following a great playoff in Russia’s junior level. His name is buzzing following his strong showing at the Dan Milstein camp last week, and some scouts could see him even go higher than this slot.
Pronman speaking high of him actually makes me even more cynical.

One of our scouting posters at HFCBJ (where I was also kvetching) is attempting to reassure me by comparing him to Brandon Dubinsky. That would be nice if it happens but IDK.

Reactions: predhead1

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Only good thing I can think of about this pick that Surin is under contract in Russia until 2026. So our development staff can't ruin him in the meantime.

On the other hand, he's a Russian contemplating of coming over to NA, he'll get buried in their development system as well.

Oh well.
Maybe he can overcook over there like Kaprizov so he'll be too much a finished product to "2-way forward" the upside out of him when he finally comes over.

• Haha
Reactions: hockey diva

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
So many Debbie Downers here. If the kid has some skill and is tough to play against, he'll play in the NHL. If you pair this kid with L'Heureux in two years, then we might have something that causes teams problems in the playoffs. Who the hell do you think we're getting at 22, Mario Gretzky?

Perhaps, just perhaps, the draft isn't where GMBT makes a move this year. He's thinking we need instant help, which pick #22 doesn't get you. He trawled with Askarov and didn't get a bite. Fine, but that's not what is dictating success or failure next season.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I didn't realize all Russian hockey players are the same.
Of course they're not and I didn't mean that Surin would do the same, but Trotz was just recently a victim of the KHL threat, so it's just a little surprising that he'd use another high pick on someone who could also use it.

Reactions: hockey diva

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad