NHL DREAM TEAM FANTASY CHALLENGE. Try and beat my squad. YOU WON'T!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BattleEquivalent8265

Sep 21, 2024
FANTASY CHALLENGE RULES:
  • Build a team using players from any time period in the history of the NHL.
  • That being said, players on your team are all in their career primes BUT must have played in the league for at least two seasons altogether.
  • If need be, you can only reuse SIX of the players from my 'NHL Dream Team' (I left you Mario, Sakic, Yzerman, etc.)
  • At least SEVEN players (inc. one goalie) on your starting roster cannot currently (2024) be in the Hockey Hall of Fame (I'm sort of cheating with Jagr, but so can you!)
  • If choosing from an era where players are not yet HOF-eligible, a maximum of EIGHT players on your entire team had a 90+ point season sometime in their career (stack the D).
  • Your injured reserve must have ZERO Hall of Famers (Modern era teams: injured reserve of 75+ PIM season skaters only)
  • Please be aware of your starting line-up positions, but feel free to put a left-handed Center on the Left Wing.
  • Nor recommended, but you can ultimately choose any team you want (i.e. '77-'78 Canadiens)
  • Being mindful of line-up chemistry and overall depth will give you a better chance at winning.

THE NHL DREAM TEAM

J. Jagr/W. Gretzky/P. Bure
P. Kariya/J. Roenick/T. Selanne
K. Tkachuk/M. Sundin/E. Lindros
P. Forsberg/D. Gilmour/A. Mogilny

R. Bourque/S. Stevens
C. Pronger/D. Hatcher
E. Jovanovski/V. Konstantinov

P. Roy/M. Richter

Offense Reserves: T. Fleury/W. Clark/K. Primeau
Defense Reserves: A. Foote/D. Kasparaitis
Goalie Reserve: F. Potvin

Let's go head to head, discuss and BRING IT ON!!

Last edited:

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
... I don't understand a thing to this, and how exactly is an all-time time comprising Ed Jovanovski supposed to be unbeateable, and why exactly Roenick is playing the equivalent of 18 minutes a game and Forsberg 8?

BattleEquivalent8265

Sep 21, 2024
What's tough to understand? Build a team to beat mine, using the guidelines.
Given the skill level here, I don't think Forsberg would be relegated to 8 minutes, I just love the prospect of having Forsberg & Dougie on the same line. But you're going to tell me a Blackhawks era-Roenick couldn't compete here?! Lol c'mon now...
As for Jovanovski, for rough and tumble defensemen who aren't in the Hall of Fame from this era, he seems like one of the more solid choices.
Besides, it's my fantasy team and I can choose whoever the hell I want!

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'll reuse only one player in the OP...

Robitaille - Gretzky - Howe
Ovechkin - McDavid - Lafleur
Toews - Crosby - Conacher
Benn - Bergeron - Bondra (the Triple B line)

Orr - Chelios
Hedman - Fox
Fetisov - Letang

Hasek
Lundqvist

Forward Reserves: Nash, Zhamnov, Nolan
Defense Reserves: Gonchar, Desjardins
Goalie Reserve: Joseph

Non-HOF members: 11
Players with 90+ point seasons: 8

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Late 60s (1967 and 1968 more specifically)

Mahovlich Beliveau Howe
Hull Keon Bathgate
Berenson Esposito Rousseau
Sanderson Mikita Provost

Orr Horton
Harvey Tremblay
Pilote White

Hall
Hodge

Reserves
Forward: Backstrom, Wharram, Hodge
Defence: Harris, Stapleton
Goal: Crozier

I recognize that the early-mid 1990s is the deepest talent era but that was taken. NHL expansion in 1967 extended some careers and gave some players an earlier opportunity than they would otherwise have received. First thing of note is Harvey - he played two games in 1967 and he played in the 1968 playoffs, so I counted him. Orr and Harvey is the best top two defencemen possible in this exercise. Tremblay is possibly the best defenceman not in, due to the WHA. I considered going for Carl Brewer as well, arguably the other best defenceman not in the HHOF, but the timeline didn't work with Harvey. I also prefer Park to Pilote, but not at the expense of Harvey.

Adding Beliveau, Howe, and Hull to Orr and Harvey gives me arguably five top ten players ever. Bathgate hung around long enough to be used, and I prefer him to Geoffrion (late 1960s comeback). I went with Keon over H Richard because Richard was puck dominant while Keon was less so, and also more of a pure defensive player rather than a puck possession player. With the bottom two lines my logic is that Esposito and Mikita both established themselves as at their best when they are the clear star of their line, so I think they can elevate inferior linemates without losing much. Sanderson is a fringe HHOF candidate if not for the WHA/drugs, Provost is one of the best defensive forwards ever and knows how to play with an elite centre, and together they give me an elite penalty killing forward combo. I really like Red Berenson's game and I think he can fill in a lot of the holes that Esposito is going to leave. Rousseau is underrated to me and I can see him sort of filling in the speed/skill role that Cournoyer did on Esposito's line at times in the summit series. Hodge, whom I have some questions about, is a reserve if things don't work with Esposito just as Wharram is there for Mikita.

Hall was the obvious goaltending choice. If the timeline was pushed back just slightly then Plante becomes available.

BattleEquivalent8265

Sep 21, 2024
Late 60s (1967 and 1968 more specifically)

Mahovlich Beliveau Howe
Hull Keon Bathgate
Berenson Esposito Rousseau
Sanderson Mikita Provost

Orr Horton
Harvey Tremblay
Pilote White

Hall
Hodge

Reserves
Forward: Backstrom, Wharram, Hodge
Defence: Harris, Stapleton
Goal: Crozier

I recognize that the early-mid 1990s is the deepest talent era but that was taken. NHL expansion in 1967 extended some careers and gave some players an earlier opportunity than they would otherwise have received. First thing of note is Harvey - he played two games in 1967 and he played in the 1968 playoffs, so I counted him. Orr and Harvey is the best top two defencemen possible in this exercise. Tremblay is possibly the best defenceman not in, due to the WHA. I considered going for Carl Brewer as well, arguably the other best defenceman not in the HHOF, but the timeline didn't work with Harvey. I also prefer Park to Pilote, but not at the expense of Harvey.

Adding Beliveau, Howe, and Hull to Orr and Harvey gives me arguably five top ten players ever. Bathgate hung around long enough to be used, and I prefer him to Geoffrion (late 1960s comeback). I went with Keon over H Richard because Richard was puck dominant while Keon was less so, and also more of a pure defensive player rather than a puck possession player. With the bottom two lines my logic is that Esposito and Mikita both established themselves as at their best when they are the clear star of their line, so I think they can elevate inferior linemates without losing much. Sanderson is a fringe HHOF candidate if not for the WHA/drugs, Provost is one of the best defensive forwards ever and knows how to play with an elite centre, and together they give me an elite penalty killing forward combo. I really like Red Berenson's game and I think he can fill in a lot of the holes that Esposito is going to leave. Rousseau is underrated to me and I can see him sort of filling in the speed/skill role that Cournoyer did on Esposito's line at times in the summit series. Hodge, whom I have some questions about, is a reserve if things don't work with Esposito just as Wharram is there for Mikita.

Hall was the obvious goaltending choice. If the timeline was pushed back just slightly then Plante becomes available.
I appreciate you keeping the squad within their own era. Having a prime Orr & Harvey really doesn't get any better (Bourque is my closest competitor). I would look forward mostly to seeing our first lines having a major-league clash of speed & skill vs. size & strength. Despite my offensive lines (in my opinion) having the slight advantage, I think this would be a solid affair! Would love to see a simulated showdown of some sort. Thanks for the elaborate and well thought out explanations! I admittedly wish I had a deeper knowledge on this era so I can analyze and compare more thoroughly...

Last edited:

BattleEquivalent8265

Sep 21, 2024
I'll reuse only one player in the OP...

Robitaille - Gretzky - Howe
Ovechkin - McDavid - Lafleur
Toews - Crosby - Conacher
Benn - Bergeron - Bondra (the Triple B line)

Orr - Chelios
Hedman - Fox
Fetisov - Letang

Hasek
Lundqvist

Forward Reserves: Nash, Zhamnov, Nolan
Defense Reserves: Gonchar, Desjardins
Goalie Reserve: Joseph

Non-HOF members: 11
Players with 90+ point seasons: 8
Despite the exercise (challenge) being about specific eras or decades, I appreciate your well-rounded team! Nolan was one of the guys I had contemplated to put on my bench as well!! He was a force of nature. A prime Gretzky & Howe might be the greatest 1-2 punch anyone can ever put together offensively. Your second line doesn't even seem fair to anyone who stands in their path. Great choices!

Reactions: DitchMarner

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Despite the exercise (challenge) being about specific eras or decades, I appreciate your well-rounded team! Nolan was one of the guys I had contemplated to put on my bench as well!! He was a force of nature. A prime Gretzky & Howe might be the greatest 1-2 punch anyone can ever put together offensively. Your second line doesn't even seem fair to anyone who stands in their path. Great choices!

Ugh... I didn't realize that. I thought you could pick random players throughout hockey history. I may post an era-specific team later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad