Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 55 16.1%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 18 5.3%

• Total voters

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
It sounds good on paper.....but when was the last time anyone in the top 5 traded down..
Asked chatgpt here is your answer:

The last time an NHL team traded a top 5 draft pick was in 2016. The Montreal Canadiens traded their 9th overall pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft to the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for defenseman prospect Mikhail Sergachev and a conditional 2nd-round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft. This trade allowed the Coyotes to select Clayton Keller with the 7th overall pick.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think the problem here is that you imagine that the Habs have an LHD on their internal top 5 and will purposely skip him. Going by what Hughes said today (both English and French), I don't think they do. It's 4 forwards and a RHD and the only question is who is dropping to #5.
Agreed otherwise the BPA prerogative is just for media soundbytes. This is why I believe there will have been several advanced trade talks by the time the draft unfolds such that any one of them could be activated should a certain adverse drafting eventuality materialize.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
I think we can safely assume we're picking one of:

1. Demidov
2. Lindstrom
3. Iginla

Goldenhands will finally be wrong with the guy he's hyping. Or we can all melt down again when Hughes announces Helenius!

Wouldn't be shocked at all. Helenius is the exact type of obscure European lacking elite tools that Bobrov would be in love with for some reason.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Why the hell would Calgary not take Iginla. I'm pretty sure they would. It's all their media talks about.

5. Calgary Flames (via trade with Montreal Canadiens): Zeev Buium, LHD, Denver​

Flames fans really want Tij Iginla at ninth overall. But there was a golden opportunity to trade into the top five with the Canadiens and come away with an impact defenseman in Buium, who could translate into a game-breaker (and a future No. 1 D-man) that Calgary desperately needs. Buium found himself in the top-10 in scoring among NCAA players as a freshman defenseman and in the top-20 in average points per game. The high-end skill set that makes him effective in all phases of the game should help soften the blow of not drafting their franchise icon’s offspring. — Julian McKenzie

WG

Sep 9, 2008
The Athletic’s mock draft, has Habs trading down with Calgary and taking Iginla at 8 overall.
Oddly, I could see the Flames wanting to jump up from 9 to make sure they would get Iginla, not to let Iginla go with their own original pick.

Reactions: jrom

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Asked this before but will ask again. How do you guys compare Iginla to Ryan Leonard?
Similar. I see top 6 wingers playing heavy game. Many posters loves US national team and stats college. But in fact. Im sure Iginla would do exactly the same that Leonard does.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I expect the true separation factor will be the interviews and the overall'' vibe'' the kids will carry with them, like it was with Slafkovsky. They seem to put quite a lot of stock in that, they're looking for kids with the right type of attitude.

Reactions: Addik04

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I expect the true separation factor will be the interviews and the overall'' vibe'' the kids will leave them with, like it was with Slafkovsky. They seem to put quite a lot of stock in that.
Maybe... Reinbacher's a nice kid, but he doesn't exactly give me Alpha-Chad vibes like Slaf. Just a quiet, reserved kid who can be blunt.

If they can just stop asking offside questions like "Would you shoot your mom to win an NHL playoff game?" and bragging about it, that'd be cool

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Asked chatgpt here is your answer:

The last time an NHL team traded a top 5 draft pick was in 2016. The Montreal Canadiens traded their 9th overall pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft to the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for defenseman prospect Mikhail Sergachev and a conditional 2nd-round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft. This trade allowed the Coyotes to select Clayton Keller with the 7th overall pick.

Chat GpT needs a little more refining yet... :)

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Wouldn't be shocked at all. Helenius is the exact type of obscure European lacking elite tools that Bobrov would be in love with for some reason.

Yes, but Helenius is missing the size that Bobrov loves.

If Helenius was 6ft3-6ft4 - forgetttttttaboutittttttttttttt, we would draft the sh*t out of him at #5

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
I would too. I don't know who Chicago's looking at, but if you have an inkling they'd take one of the D then make the trade.
Hawk's forwards:

Bedard 5'10
Reichel 6'0
Nazar 5'10
Moore 5'11
Demidov 5'11?

I understand the Demidov appeal, but if you have a chance to get a #1 D instead of having one of the smallest top 6 in the NHL.. you think D would be a logical choice. Which they are weak on.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
We are getting a very good player at 5 guys.............we have about 6-7 weeks to nail it down.
Glad we did not slip to 6-7
Crazy that there were no teams move out of their earned position.
Asking here, but is that the first time in recent memory that no one moves?

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad