NHL Board of Governors to approve opening of expansion process; Atlanta and Houston believed to be leading candidates

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
They should make a second division of the NHL like Euro sports leagues with relegation and promotion instead of making the NHL even more bloated. 32 teams is enough, stop it.
Not making the playoffs is enough of a distinction. I would hate a secondary league. Soccer sucks.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Verdun, Montréal
QC is the cute girl the NHL hangs around for no other reason than to make the hottie they actually wanna bang jealous.

NHL has weird taste since Atlanta is more of a toothless missus eating cigarettes for dinner

Calgary who left in 1927?

And winnipeg who is barely holding on when the team stinks and wont likely last there?

Great examples.

well, that can be said to most US teams

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Too many teams - not enough players. Why can't the league get that through their heads. If Houston or Atlanta want a team they can have the Flames. They're costing Calgary taxpayers way too much and we need to make money from our new arena and recover our investment.

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
At this point they're going to do it no matter what, so whatever I guess. Should cause a nice bump in the salary cap with new revenue coming in.

Bettman is saying the expansion fee could rise to a whopping $2 billion, lol.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Too many teams - not enough players. Why can't the league get that through their heads. If Houston or Atlanta want a team they can have the Flames. They're costing Calgary taxpayers way too much and we need to make money from our new arena and recover our investment.

About time to let go of this fantasy of yours isn't it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not necessarily, the pool just gets divided between more teams.

The expansion fee is a huge chunk of cash for HRR. Bettman is already talking like they want 1.7-2 billion next time around.

It's pretty obvious why they want to keep expanding ... the amount of money it brings in will be enormous just from the expansion fee alone.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Because they can be made to care if a team is there.

Which gets you more of a return: 90% of 100,000 people, or 1% of 10,000,000 people? You and others are looking at the 90% and saying "that's more".
Yeah, it worked really good in Phoenix, a huge media market with a huge population of people who don't give crap about hockey.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No it’s not, expansion fees give zero dollars to HRR, it’s not included.
That’s one of the reasons I said, pool just gets divided between more teams.

It's still generally good for league wide revenue, the novelty of a new team generally sells tickets for a few years before the shit hits the fan if things are going to go south.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You do realize that there's promotion and relegation in almost every European hockey league too? It's not only a thing in football. I wouldn't even watch my team if they somehow decided to close the SHL.
Fine, euro sports suck. Better? Relegation is an awful idea and I'd want no part in a league that does it.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
The league is not ready for more teams to dilute the talent. I actually think 32 teams now has slightly diluted the talent around among teams in the league.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You do realize that there's promotion and relegation in almost every European hockey league too? It's not only a thing in football. I wouldn't even watch my team if they somehow decided to close the SHL.
Ya it’s terrible, luckily NA doesn’t do that,
no owner is forking out 2 billion for an arena and team, to end up relegated to the AHL, or wherever.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
This is getting asinine. Let's settle in at 32 for a decade or so at least.

Rather than growing the game it seems like Bettman's only strategy is to churn out new franchises.
Curious why you seem to think that "growing the game" and expanding with new franchises in new markets are mutually exclusive?

I see them as being symbiotic.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah, it worked really good in Phoenix, a huge media market with a huge population of people who don't give crap about hockey.
You need to also get the basics right, like, say, a place to play. They flubbed that. And yet it still managed to produce folks like, oh, say, Auston Matthews.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Ya it’s terrible, luckily NA doesn’t do that,
no owner is forking out 2 billion for an arena and team, to end up relegated to the AHL, or wherever.
Well, stay plastic.

You need to also get the basics right, like, say, a place to play. They flubbed that. And yet it still managed to produce folks like, oh, say, Auston Matthews.
Yeah, Auston Matthews became a hockey player because of Phoenix media market.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah, and I'm sure the Coyotes fans had a say in their teams being taken away.

It's not personal. It's just business.
That's not the point. The point is about putting your money where your mouth is. If you're going to push for relocation as a general good, do so in a manner such that you would take the impact, rather than lazily and callously expecting others to take the hit for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad