NHL: Around the League 52

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
A couple of years ago the president's trophy Panthers got totally little brothered in a sweep by the Lightning, narrative has flipped big time in the past two years

Reactions: ChiHawks10

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
3-2 Dallas heading into 2nd intermission.

These last 2 games have been great hockey!

Reactions: Pez68

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Vegas fans leaving early is such a chump move. Aw, I’m sorry your defending champions are letting you down in a soon-to-be-tied series.

And this was my same opinion when some loser fans were leaving Wrigley early versus the Nats (in a series that we still won, mind you) in 2017.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Vegas fans leaving early is such a chump move. Aw, I’m sorry your defending champions are letting you down in a soon-to-be-tied series.

And this was my same opinion when some loser fans were leaving Wrigley early versus the Nats (in a series that we still won, mind you) in 2017.

I never understood it and have never left an event early

I stayed seated until a good chunk of stadium had cleared after event before heading for parking lot

Easier to get out and home when majority are already gone or leaving parking lot

Reactions: QueerGirrl

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
And Cooper continues to be a horrible sore loser in pressers after playoff losses
I get protecting your players and all. But his constant whining isn’t going to stop them from getting rolled in the first round for the next few years.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Looks like Leafs will be without Matthews tonight.
Can’t underperform in the playoffs if you’re not playing!

Meathead moment for sure here but I wonder if Nylander and Matthews are overplaying their health issues to try and avoid some playoff heat. I’d imagine this is everyone’s least favorite time of year in that locker room :laugh:

99% sure that’s NOT the case and they’re actually unable to play. Sucks either way for Leaf fans, the core 4 FWDS are either underwhelming or absent when they’re needed most

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Can’t underperform in the playoffs if you’re not playing!

Meathead moment for sure here but I wonder if Nylander and Matthews are overplaying their health issues to try and avoid some playoff heat. I’d imagine this is everyone’s least favorite time of year in that locker room :laugh:

99% sure that’s NOT the case and they’re actually unable to play. Sucks either way for Leaf fans, the core 4 FWDS are either underwhelming or absent when they’re needed most
Guys play through shit all the time in the NHL playoffs. The warriors play through broken bones, torn ligaments, etc. No idea how Matthews could be so injured that he's not going to play in an elimination game. It would have to have career implications(health wise), IMO. Guess we'll find out once they're knocked out tonight.

Reactions: Pez68

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Guys play through shit all the time in the NHL playoffs. The warriors play through broken bones, torn ligaments, etc. No idea how Matthews could be so injured that he's not going to play in an elimination game. It would have to have career implications(health wise), IMO. Guess we'll find out once they're knocked out tonight.
It’s too speculative to have a strong feeling one way or the other obviously. It just wouldn’t surprise me if these guys are chickening out from the playoff pressure though. I can’t believe I’m saying that about NHL players but if it were to be true about anyone in the league wouldn’t it be these three?

We got so so so lucky with our core group.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It’s too speculative to have a strong feeling one way or the other obviously. It just wouldn’t surprise me if these guys are chickening out from the playoff pressure though. I can’t believe I’m saying that about NHL players but if it were to be true about anyone in the league wouldn’t it be these three?

We got so so so lucky with our core group.
That's an asinine take.

I know the hatred towards the Leafs runs deep but they aren't the only team who have had trouble getting past round one. It certainly doesn't help their cause when in the past several years they are up against SC contenders like Bruins, Florida and TB. Somebody has to lose and it is usually the team that lives and dies playing offensive hockey, with iffy goaltending. That's on management, not the players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drumman44

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
That's an asinine take.

I know the hatred towards the Leafs runs deep but they aren't the only team who have had trouble getting past round one. It certainly doesn't help their cause when in the past several years they are up against SC contenders like Bruins, Florida and TB. Somebody has to lose and it is usually the team that lives and dies playing offensive hockey, with iffy goaltending. That's on management, not the players.
1) Since Matthews entered the league, the Leafs are 3rd Overall in points for the regular season. They're not some plucky wildcard team just happy to be there. They're one of the best teams in the league (statistically) on a consistent basis. They just don't play good playoff hockey for a lot of reasons.

2) Starting with Tavares, then Matthews, Marner, and Nylander they all are making way too much money for their on-ice output. Get what you're worth as a player for sure, it's the GM's job to fill out the roster but these guys are being paid like superstars and they don't play that way when it matters. Toronto has 3 of the top 9 highest cap hits in the league and Nylander's extension kicks in next year giving him the 5th highest AAV. These guys don't play well enough to justify their cap hits.

It's the same discussion every year. They deserve all the flak they get.

3) I don't seriously believe they're faking an injury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad