NHL and Injury Updates

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Very admittedly, I am in a couple of hockey pools.

Is it me or is the NHL the last remaining professional sports league that doesn't require teams to divulge the specifics, and the extent of a player's injury? Many years ago the NFL were criticized about this, and the NFL subsequently made it mandatory for teams to divulge the extent of a player's injury.

Case in point Kent Johnson, the Columbus Blue Jackets know full well the extent of his injury, it happened 5 days ago. Yet there is still no news. The only news is that coach Evason says "It will not be short term".

Yes I know that it is mostly poolies who want to know, but I'm sure Blue Jacket fans do too. Why can they not publicly state the injury (shoulder, wrist?), and how long they estimate him to be out?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Despite it being annoying at times for fans, I don't think it should have to be mandatory to reveal the exact extent of the injury to the public.

Why should a player have to divulge this information especially during the playoffs where it may lead to a bit more targeting occurring.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
HIPAA, and all that

I actually think the opposite; that athletes medical information is too widely shared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad