NHL All-Access: 2005 NHL Entry Draft Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Have anyone seen it yet? I thought it was once again pretty interesting.

There were a few very good moments:

-Sidney Crosby and Jack Johnson having fun in their room before the draft. We actually saw a natural Crosby who laughed and had fun; pretty bizarre sight after all these interviews where he showed no charisma.

-Scouts were asking, during interviews with the players at the scouting combines, "What is your biggest fear". Most players answered spiders or things like that but one actually said: "Jack Johnson".

-Kevin Lowe said "There goes my guy" when Atlanta picked Alex Bourret.

-Vancouver declined a trade with Nashville which was Vancouver's first round pick for Nashville's first, second, third and third next year to draft Luc Bourdon.

-Bob Gainey tried really hard to traded up but no one was interested.

-After asking him if he was a Leafs fan, Kevin Lowe asked a kid with a Leafs jersey "When was the last time the Leafs won the cup" and the kid didn't know. :D

-They had cameras at Christian Hanson's house for draft day but he went undrafted...

-Tampa Bay declined to trade down with the Islanders from their 30th pick and decided to pick Mihailik (sp?) because they feared he wouldn't be available later.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:
Anything good on San Jose? Thanks

There wasn't much about them actually. I think when the trade was announced (San Jose moving up) they said the Sharks have been trying to move up during the whole day; and that's about it, I'm not even sure about this.

littleD

Phaneuf said:
Anything on Calgary?

I don't remember anything about Calgary.

The show focused on top guys Sidney Crosby, Jack Johnson, Benoit Pouliot and Bobby Ryan. They also showed Christian Hanson.

Then they had a few GMs with mics - Gainey, Burke, Patrick, Nonis. I think that's it.

It was neat seeing the contrast between what the top guys were doing to get ready for the day and what Hanson was doing. Crosby, Johnson et al were sweating it out, getting into their suits, sitting through a ton of pictures and interviews.

Hanson spent the day playing golf, and then had to follow the draft the rest of us - on the internet and radio.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
nomorekids said:
Nashville didn't even have a second round pick. I have a lot of doubt about that rumor.

Well like littleD said, they were talking on the phone (Nashville actually had about 3 offers which were all declined) and Poile was thinking out loud about the offers.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Duff88 said:
Well like littleD said, they were talking on the phone (Nashville actually had about 3 offers which were all declined) and Poile was thinking out loud about the offers.

i'm guessing nashville was trying to move up to get one of the two guys they coveted(kopitar and bourret, reportedly)

Vic Rattlehead*

nomorekids said:
Nashville didn't even have a second round pick. I have a lot of doubt about that rumor.
Nonis said that was the trade offer. There was a camera on him while he was on the phone.

Dizzy

May 24, 2003
Windsor, ON
Visit site
think/blue said:
Was this on NHL Network?

Yes, last night.
Crosby actually scared me a little with some of hysterical laughing at Johnson. Maybe it was the editing, but it didn't seem to be aware near as funny as he was making it out to be.
Pouliot spent what seemed like an awful lot of time on his hair and used a lot of hair spray.
Kevin Lowe's thing with the kid in the Leafs jersey. :biglaugh:
Overall it was a good show, I was expecting it to be pretty much all Crosby so I was pleasantly surprised to see quite a bit with Pouliot, Johnson and Hanson. Interesting to see more than just what happens in the draft room.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
nomorekids said:
that'd be the best trade ever, then. we're trading other teams' picks! ;)
Nonis' exact words were something like "2nd and 3rd next year", so it was unclear if it was just the 3rd or both that were next year. If they didn't have one this year, then obviously it was next year.

Bourdon's name wasn't mentioned though, so we don't know it was him they wanted.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Peter Griffin said:
Maybe it was Nashville's 1st(18th overall), plus two 3rd's in '05(78th and 79th overall) plus a 2nd in '06?

could be. i know poile REALLY liked kopitar, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was willing to give up that much. i don't think he was so much after a d-man as parent was simply too good to pass up at 18, so he went BPA.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
nomorekids said:

It was problebly a pick in 2006. You saw the gm of Vaqncouver talking on the phone iwth the GM of Preetors and you heard everything. it was pretty interesting.

My favorite part was when Jack Johnsson asked Crosby if his razor was safe to use..............lol

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Edmonton and New Jersey are getting quite the history in terms of the NHL Entry draft.

Parise and Pouliot
Zajac and Schremp
Bergfors and Cogliano

3 solid forward prospects for each. Which is better?

X-SHARKIE

Jason MacIsaac said:
Edmonton and New Jersey are getting quite the history in terms of the NHL Entry draft.

Parise and Pouliot
Zajac and Schremp
Bergfors and Cogliano

3 solid forward prospects for each. Which is better?

Parise > Pouliot easily
Zajc and Schremp...hmm tough call, I love both.
Bergfors > Cogliano....tough call but I really liked Bergfors at the U-18's last year. Untill Cogliano shows he can do it at the next level (I think he can though) Nicklas has to be higher.

I would say the Devils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad