NHL 94. twitter

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
As someone who wasn’t born yet I think this has to be pure nostalgia goggles, this game is primitive AF and boring. I remember playing it that one year where they included it with the newer NHL for free. Current games have their issues but this barely even resembles hockey

The early to mid 90s games were fantastic for that time. Mutant league hockey used the same engine and was probably the most fun I ever had playing a hockey game.

I was a regular customer until NHL 10, when I thought they sucked alot of the fun out of the game. These days, they just seem to be uninspired products with no incentive to change.

I agree with you about how that 94 game was very hard to play when they released it as part of the 10th anniversary package or whatever it was.

As someone who wasn’t born yet I think this has to be pure nostalgia goggles, this game is primitive AF and boring. I remember playing it that one year where they included it with the newer NHL for free. Current games have their issues but this barely even resembles hockey

The early to mid 90s games were fantastic for that time. Mutant league hockey used the same engine and was probably the most fun I ever had playing a hockey game.

I was a regular customer until NHL 10, when I thought they sucked alot of the fun out of the game. These days, they just seem to uninspired products with no incentive to change.

I agree with you about how that 94 game was very hard to play when they released it as part of the 10th anniversary package or whatever it was.

The Electrician

Sponsor
Oct 24, 2014
Missouri

I was a regular customer until NHL 10, when I thought they sucked alot of the fun out of the game. These days, they just seem to be uninspired products with no incentive to change.

I was a regular customer until NHL 10, when I thought they sucked alot of the fun out of the game. These days, they just seem to uninspired products with no incentive to change.

The Saint Mucus Ooze featuring Britt Skull, Bendan Grabahand and....Garth Butcher!

While the hockey game was good, the OG Mutant League Football is a stone cold banger.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
nhl 94 tends to get the most love, but all the early ones were fun. My personal favourote was actually nhl 95 when they introduced a some breakthrough features that we now consider standard, such as a season mode, and trades. They even would have an awards show at the end of the year.
I agree. Had the most fond memories of 95 once trades were introduced, but man was the game buggy

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
And that intro? Sheesh..

Loved the balance in that one. When I loaded up the roster my 99 overall create a player didn’t shine too much, everyone scored lots, so then I tried having an awful roster and one star. I forget the exact results, but 120+ points for one guy, then 45 and below for everyone else, which makes sense. Then I figured maybe one decent player would help, so I picked up Kevin Dineen. I forget the exact numbers, but Dineen got between 80-120 points, and my created star scored 150+ or somethin ridiculous. Point is, the game did a really good job keeping scoring stats reasonable, to the point where 10 year old me started simming whole seasons just to see the effects of different rosters on scoring. Shit, learned a lot from that?
Yeah, i feel you. This was the first game i played multiple full seasons + playoffs, with the 82/7 setting on. Then getting the win eventually felt so good after losing many best of 7's.

If i learned anything, it was the importance of line matchups.

Last edited:

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
My go to sports games in the 90s were NHL Stanley Cup and NBA Super Tecmo Basketball.

NHL 98 and NHL Hitz, which would come later in the 2000s was *chefs kiss*
NHL 98 intro was legendary - "Are you willing....to donate....your body?
Got a problem....with authority?
Would you stop a speeding bullet?
Are you afraid......of the masked....man?"(c)

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

Prior to NHL 07, the 2k series had made serious inroads and was arguably a better NHL game. Then for NHL 07 EA introduced the skill-stick, which mapped stick-handling and shooting to the right analog stick. Instead of selecting from a narrow set of evasive animations (IIRC the standard options for the time where a generic deke, toe drag, and spin move) you could perform any number of movements, dekes, or simply reposition the puck relative to your skater as you wanted. In addition, shooting went from either a standard wrister or slap shot with the press or hold of the shoot button, to using movements and timing of the analog stick to perform any number of shots with greater influence on accuracy. Wanna hang out at the top of the dot with your stick in the air waiting for a teammate to pass you the puck, ala vintage Heatley, you could now do that.

Essentially, EA used the analog sticks to grant the player far greater control of their skater; functionally taking the puck handling off “rails” and allowing for greater skill and creativity to be rewarded. In subsequent versions the capabilities of the skill stick were expanded and refined and the same concept was brought to FIFA (EA FC). Once introduced it made “hit b to do THE toe-drag” feel like a toddlers toy. As far as gameplay quality of hockey video games goes there is before skill stick and after. It was that transformative.

IMO once EASHL was introduced in 2010 it was game over for NHL 2k. I spent way too many hours playing NHL 10,11,12, etc with friends until the wee hours of the morning. I’m pretty sure my actual career would be in a different place if I didn’t spend those years rolling in to work on like 3-4 hours of sleep multiple times a week. LOL.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
nhl 94 tends to get the most love, but all the early ones were fun. My personal favourote was actually nhl 95 when they introduced a some breakthrough features that we now consider standard, such as a season mode, and trades. They even would have an awards show at the end of the year.
I'm experiencing serious Mandela effect... I vividly remember 94 being the game getting me into hockey as it was always Montreal vs LA as the default option for exhibition games. But I also remember hitting random a bunch of times and ending up with the Red Wings to start a season and making a bunch of trades to stack the shit out of them... Did I blur two games together?

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Loved the game! Only ICE Hockey ranks better for me.

Also down goes brown has two good posts anout this.

93 v 94

And shawn chambers having a rating of 1 in 1993.. seriously a 1

Reactions: OddyOh

spiny norman

Administrator
Apr 1, 2006
Winnipeg, MB

I still have NHL 95. I play it with DosBox.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I'm experiencing serious Mandela effect... I vividly remember 94 being the game getting me into hockey as it was always Montreal vs LA as the default option for exhibition games. But I also remember hitting random a bunch of times and ending up with the Red Wings to start a season and making a bunch of trades to stack the shit out of them... Did I blur two games together?
Did you play on consoles or PC? For the PC, there was a game just titled "NHL Hockey" which was basically NHL 94 but with full seasons and other extra stuff (not sure if it had trades?).

And after that there was NHL 95 for the PC which for sure had trades.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Did you play on consoles or PC? For the PC, there was a game just titled "NHL Hockey" which was basically NHL 94 but with full seasons and other extra stuff (not sure if it had trades?).

And after that there was NHL 95 for the PC which for sure had trades.
PC, that would do it then. Thanks!

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

My reference point is the Sega genesis console. I think the vast majority of people back then played the game on the genesis or snes.

Other advanced consoles/pc perhaps already had those features in an earlier version of the game but they were more fringe in the market.... or at least I didn't know anyone who had them on anything else other than the 16 bit systems.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I agree. Had the most fond memories of 95 once trades were introduced, but man was the game buggy

96 was basically 95 but smoother, as in it felt like the controls responded faster, and the create a player was improved. I spent years playing 96 and updating rosters with the Hockey Almanac. Enjoyed 98 but kept going back to 96. The N64 games weren't good and I don't think I really fixated on another version until 04.

Now my son plays 16 a lot. We may upgrade again in the near future, but I definitely feel like buying the same game every year is not only unnecessary but a worse experience than sticking with a version that you really enjoy for a while.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
IMO once EASHL was introduced in 2010 it was game over for NHL 2k.

One of my good friends married a guy who was on the NHL2k development team, and even he admitted to me that EA had the better product by then.

Even the first EA hockey on Genesis was a big deal ... I converted several people into real life hockey fans after getting them hooked on that game.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
One of my good friends married a guy who was on the NHL2k development team, and even he admitted to me that EA had the better product by then.

Even the first EA hockey on Genesis was a big deal ... I converted several people into real life hockey fans after getting them hooked on that game.

The original ea hockey game was hilarious. You could get in fights with guys while they are celebrating a goal.

I also remember in playoff mode that they would show in game highlights of other series during the intermission. The little version of me thought that was so cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad