WC: Next Year's Host Country Relegation

xaboff

May 17, 2024
Hi! Not sure if making a whole thread for a simple question is not the correct course of action on this forum, so forgive me if it isn't, but here goes:

During today's game game between UK and Denmark when things weren't looking too good for Denmark the caster on Slovak TV mentioned something about Denmark (not)being relegated and that got me wondering. Is the rule about the next year's WC's host country being safe from relegation still in place?

On the official page of the 2019 WC it's explicitly stated that this rule is in place:

1715986524526.png

However after the cancelled 2020 edition and the no relegation 2021 edition, this clause went missing from the website.
For the 2024 edition, there's a clause that explicitly states that the last team from each group gets relegated format takes into consideration all participating teams:

1715986812957.png

I am not sure whether this means that the next year's hosts can now get relegated too or not, and couldn't find any information on this, so if anyone has any insights on this, I'd be grateful to hear them!

Reactions: Summer Rose

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Hi! Not sure if making a whole thread for a simple question is not the correct course of action on this forum, so forgive me if it isn't, but here goes:

During today's game game between UK and Denmark when things weren't looking too good for Denmark the caster on Slovak TV mentioned something about Denmark (not)being relegated and that got me wondering. Is the rule about the next year's WC's host country being safe from relegation still in place?

On the official page of the 2019 WC it's explicitly stated that this rule is in place:

View attachment 872521
However after the cancelled 2020 edition and the no relegation 2021 edition, this clause went missing from the website.
For the 2024 edition, there's a clause that explicitly states that the last team from each group gets relegated format takes into consideration all participating teams:

View attachment 872526

I am not sure whether this means that the next year's hosts can now get relegated too or not, and couldn't find any information on this, so if anyone has any insights on this, I'd be grateful to hear them!
To be honest. I don't know either, at Wikipedia Denmark is listen as qualified as hosts. But I don't know were they got that information.

I remember many years ago, I think it was Germany who actually ended on the relegation spot, nut weren't relegated because they were hosting next year

xaboff

May 17, 2024
To be honest. I don't know either, at Wikipedia Denmark is listen as qualified as hosts. But I don't know were they got that information.

I remember many years ago, I think it was Germany who actually ended on the relegation spot, nut weren't relegated because they were hosting next year
No yeah, it 100% used to be a rule, definitely at least until 2019, just not sure whether it's still used..

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
It wouldn't make any sense to relegate the host considering this is a tournament that really needs all the attendance it can get. Hopefully Denmark doesn't make it an embarrassing problem but I really doubt they won't be there next year no matter the circumstance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad