Next Olympics

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Back to France in 2030 and Salt Lake City in 2034. Odds of ongoing NHL participation just went up about 50 per cent.

Also, looks like the notion of revisiting hosting cities is alive. Calgary in 2038?

I think the Calgary facilities would need quite the facelift.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I think with them participating in Italy in 2026, it is all but assured we will see them in France and again in SLC. They will likely be playing in the home of the Utah Hockey Club. The NHL will love that.

Team Canada....on North American soil once again is going to be something else!

McDavid - 38 years old
Bedard - 29 years old
McKenna - 26 years old
Random 11 year old - 21 years old

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think with them participating in Italy in 2026, it is all but assured we will see them in France and again in SLC. They will likely be playing in the home of the Utah Hockey Club. The NHL will love that.

Team Canada....on North American soil once again is going to be something else!

McDavid - 38 years old
Bedard - 29 years old
McKenna - 26 years old
Don't forget Celebrini - 27ish.

Having said that, put them somewhere else. Olympics are a money pit - which is the reason why no one wants them anymore.

Reactions: wetcoast

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
When the Calgary Olympics were awarded in 1981, 13-year-old me vowed I would be there.

And then I was! I mean, I visited Calgary that winter, a couple of weeks before the Games. And I did participate in a hockey game there. It counts.

• Haha
Reactions: waitin425

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Back to France in 2030 and Salt Lake City in 2034. Odds of ongoing NHL participation just went up about 50 per cent.

Also, looks like the notion of revisiting hosting cities is alive. Calgary in 2038?
Switzerland and Sweden have showed interest for the 2038 Winter Olympics. Both countries have huge hockey interest.
IOC sets out pathway to 2038 Winter Olympic Games

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Salt Lake has been working on bringing the Olympics back before thought of NHL coming was a thing

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
When the Calgary Olympics were awarded in 1981, 13-year-old me vowed I would be there.

And then I was! I mean, I visited Calgary that winter, a couple of weeks before the Games. And I did participate in a hockey game there. It counts.

I was the same way when I heard Vancouver would bid for the 2010 Olympics, back in 1998. I was 10 but vowed that I would be there regardless of what happened.

12 years later I was watching the Russia-Latvia and then Czech-Slovak games.

Still have the news clipping where I first read Vancouver was approved to be Canada's bid for 2010.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I remember watching 2002 Olympic final at 1 pm on a Sunday. Piling into my buddies parents basement.....and losing our minds after we won gold. Took a drive down our main street as fans streamed out of bars to celebrate.

Fast forward to 2010. Had 2 kids by then and watched the gold medal game at my sisters and brother in laws. Made a bunch of apps, drank beers and fist pumped when Crosby scored the golden goal. 8 years between that and SLC felt like forever.

Then came 2014...7 am puck drop. Woke up and went to my neighbours. Crushed beers again. Watched the game with bacon and eggs. Celebrated by napping all afternoon.

12 years to wait for 2026 is far too long. Here's hoping that NHLers stay in Olympic hockey forever. Come 2034, it will have been 32 years since by buddies loaded in the bed of my pickup truck and we drove down main street honking and celebrating.

Time flies

Reactions: the valiant effort

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
The pause was a complete disgrace and made a mockery of what should have been an international sport with compelling storylines and rivalries. International hockey, crazy enough, is more interesting than international basketball which is far easier to pick-up - even if the depth of basketball is better, it's really not that interesting when USA has a 95% chance of a Gold every real tournament.

While it was nice for the Asian nations to get a try in 2018 and 2022, we might have avoided a 12 year gap were they held in Europe or North America. Now with the next three, potentially FOUR Olympics on NHL-friendly territory if the Swiss bid in 2038 is to be believed. It's quite likely the NHL will be there for all four of them.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
While it was nice for the Asian nations to get a try in 2018 and 2022, we might have avoided a 12 year gap were they held in Europe or North America.
Almaty, Kazakhstan was the only other bidder in 2022 so the NHL would have had to deal with it anyway.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I would prefer to not have two consecutive winter/summer games in the same continent so keeping that in mind USA 2030 and France 2034 would have been better. But I also understand that USA didn't want to have 2030 Winter Olympics instantly after summer games.

The previous time two consecutive Summer Olympics were held in the same continent was 1948/1952.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't like how countries try one up each other. Not sure if it's still the case (unless the pro's are playing hockey, I don't watch), but it's crazy to see countries spend themselves stupid to out do the last country who held it. Just like the World Juniors in Canada, it's gotten "too big".

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I don't like how countries try one up each other. Not sure if it's still the case (unless the pro's are playing hockey, I don't watch), but it's crazy to see countries spend themselves stupid to out do the last country who held it. Just like the World Juniors in Canada, it's gotten "too big".
Money wrecks everything :(

Reactions: ORRFForever

Fil

Nov 1, 2023
I know this is a thread abt the olympics but why does Canada host it almost every year (yes I know it's about money) but if you ask me i think it's very unfair

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I know this is a thread about the Olympics but why does Canada host it almost every year (yes I know it's about money) but if you ask me. I think it's very unfair
Money, money and more money.

Thinking it is "unfair" is... well... fair. I agree but I don't complain because I'm Canadian.

Reactions: wetcoast

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
The IOC is taking measures to limit that

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
They should allow each venue to get the games TWICE to help cover costs.
But that would reduce the power and influnce that the IOC recieves right?

Mind you I long ago stopped bothering to wonder how the IOC works, cities get suckered into paying big cash for the prestige of elected officials and people making money off the construction and hosting costs.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad