Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021
I know a guy
1720149804205.jpeg

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Going to say this is probably the quietest GM search I've ever seen, even markets that don't care about hockey tend to drive more media articles about potential GM candidates.

While Jeff Jackson has shown to be good at keeping his cards close to his vest, I'm thinking he must of not asked many orgs for their permission to talk to their personnel if something hasn't leaked yet. Which makes me think his first batch of candidates are either unemployed, not contracted to an NHL team (e.g. Mark Hunter), or he's strongly considering internal candidates within the org.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Botterill, Bowman, Burke, Darche, K. Gretzky, B. Holland, Hunter

Matty has been stumping for his boy Gretzky on twitter
Idk. Jackson got his coach out of nowhere in Knoblauch. I'd think the new GM will be someone that Jackson is tied into, and not just one the names out of the rumor mill

Reactions: oobga

ManOfSteelI

Nov 5, 2018

DNB put up a list of possible candidates if you have the ability to read the article.

For those that don't know, there's an easy work around to read these if you're not subbed. Most browsers have a "reader view" that you can toggle. In firefox you hit F9, or there's a little toggle that looks like a clipboard on the right side of the URL bar (I believe it's the same in other browsers, but I haven't used any others recently). You need to click it before the "subscribe to read" pop-up comes up.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Botterill, Bowman, Burke, Darche, K. Gretzky, B. Holland, Hunter

Matty has been stumping for his boy Gretzky on twitter
Thanks.

Seems like K.Gretzky is pretty happy just doing his thing in Bakersfield. Doesn't seem like he wants the pressure and attention of the GM position, but I guess you never know.

I like Brad Holland, but maybe as the next guy in line. Keep him in pro scouting for now.

I really have no idea where he's going to go with this hire...

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
There doesn’t seem to be a lot of options with experience and established relationships like Holland had.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
There doesn’t seem to be a lot of options with experience and established relationships like Holland had.
That's where I like Laurence Gilman coming somewhere. Not sure about GM, but some kinda "Senior Advisor" or something. He's been around for like 30 years and had some pretty good teams at times in Arizona, Vancouver, and Toronto.

Then you can have a younger, analytics driven guy from more of a player development/scouting background as your GM who can be mentored a bit by Gilman and Jackson when it comes to trades, contracts, etc.

I don't know, just a thought. Got too much time on my hands this summer haha.

I really do go.outside and stuff, I just think way too much about the Oilers GM hire.
I have a problem.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Here's the thing I like the most about JJ's work so far. He clearly has a vision for this team, and he can sell this vision to McDavid and Draisaitl about how he can keep this team competitive for the remainder of their good years.

First, he shows he knows how to identify weaknesses on the team (goal scoring wingers), and is able to get it done on cheap short deals.

Second, he knows how to identify which depth is important and which isn't. Letting Foegele go and trading McLeod were both excellent moves based on playoff performances, and he held onto guys who were key contributors.

Third, he has a vision regarding 2,3,4 years down the road for this team. Savoie? Top 6 winger replacement that can be eased in with a sheltered role to replace Skinner or Arvidsson over the next 2 seasons. Sam O'Reilly? Two-way right handed centre that I can't help but think he envisions as a Henrique replacement in 2-3 years, and that's why he traded up with next year's pick to accelerate finding that replacement.

It is seriously refreshing having a guy running this team who identifies solutions to this team years before those problems even need to be dealt with.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Brian Burke does. Honestly I'm beginning to think they should hire more of a figure head type GM and just let Jackson run the show behind the scenes.

I'm guessing they want a "name" GM to be in the room when they are negotiating Draisaitl's contract, if it wasn't for that I'd say just forget even hiring a long term GM for now as most of the work for the summer is done already.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Brian Burke does. Honestly I'm beginning to think they should hire more of a figure head type GM and just let Jackson run the show behind the scenes.

I'm guessing they want a "name" GM to be in the room when they are negotiating Draisaitl's contract, if it wasn't for that I'd say just forget even hiring a long term GM for now as most of the work for the summer is done already.
I'm of the same thinking. Wanted Kenny to be that guy kinda, let Jackson do the thinking, but use Kenny's connections. Although I don't like Kenny negotiating, so someone else would be better. But I'm more than fine if JJ does all the thinking and we just get a guy in who has connections and can negotiate a deal.

In that sense, Burkie makes sense. I thought he was too old to do the job anymore though.

That's where I like Laurence Gilman coming somewhere. Not sure about GM, but some kinda "Senior Advisor" or something. He's been around for like 30 years and had some pretty good teams at times in Arizona, Vancouver, and Toronto.

Then you can have a younger, analytics driven guy from more of a player development/scouting background as your GM who can be mentored a bit by Gilman and Jackson when it comes to trades, contracts, etc.

I don't know, just a thought. Got too much time on my hands this summer haha.

I really do go.outside and stuff, I just think way too much about the Oilers GM hire.
I have a problem.
Interesting name and history. Don't know much about him, have to think JJ would though considering they were both Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad