Confirmed with Link: Next head coach of the San Jose Sharks Upd it's Warsofsky

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I have a pretty strong feeling it’s going to be Sturm. E5 (are we still making Eklund jokes?)

Just like the man himself, it's completely out of style.
1716404058449.png

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I probably am not remembering this right but I recall it being discussed before that Quinn wasn't really a systems guy and it was something that he collaborated on his ACs pretty heavily

weird. It's like the FEDS were running the Sharks or something.

Insert the "three spiderman point at each other" meme here...

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I don't necessarily think Keefe is a bad coach for the Devils.

The true test will be if he is able to be vocally critical of player on his team. It feels like Keefe was in a position for most of his time at the Leafs where he wasn't given the capacity to do so. Remember he publicly said "he used the wrong words" when he criticized his star players early in the 22-23 season? I doubt he walks those criticisms back if he wasn't directed to by management.

The problems with the Leafs core existed before Keefe, and I suspect unless the organization changes, those issues will continue under Berube.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I don't necessarily think Keefe is a bad coach for the Devils.

The true test will be if he is able to be vocally critical of player on his team. It feels like Keefe was in a position for most of his time at the Leafs where he wasn't given the capacity to do so. Remember he publicly said "he used the wrong words" when he criticized his star players early in the 22-23 season? I doubt he walks those criticisms back if he wasn't directed to by management.

The problems with the Leafs core existed before Keefe, and I suspect unless the organization changes, those issues will continue under Berube.
I think he's just a bad coach in general. I said it before so apologies for being repetitive, but I've listened to Hockey Central at Noon / TJMS every single day since 2015 (so i've had waaay too much leafs content) and my impression of Keefe and Dubas was that the Leafs spent more time trying to convince the fans that these two were good at their jobs.....When in fact they were both bad.

Just think, would Marner be under such scrutiny if a tougher coach like Berube forcing him to be accountable? Or is his softness a result of pillowy Keefe coddling the stars and telling them everything will be ok?

I really feel the Devils are making a huge mistake with this. Yes the problems with the Leafs core existed before him, but he did 0 to address or fix them, he just continued the problems or made them worse. How is Keefe going to fix the Devil's problems and make their massive young core have accountability?

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Athletic's article on Marco Sturm 's time to be a NHL coach

Cool snippet
Mostly, Connauton feels Sturm effectively manages the duality that AHL teams look to achieve. Winning matters, as does developing players to be future contributors for their NHL teams — perhaps more so in some cases.

“I’ve been on some teams where one (aspect) is favored more than the other maybe, and I think Marco does a really good job at balancing that,” Connauton said. “He obviously wants his young guys to do well and get up to the NHL, because that looks good on him, but at the same time, he also wants to win hockey games because that also looks good on him.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Why is everyone high on Sturm and excited on the possibilities of him being our head coach? I get that he's young and might gel well with our young prospects. But what has he shown that he can:

A) develop young players well
B) a hockey savant that's good with schemes and strategies

The little that I know is that his team just got swept. Nothing about turning an abysmal of a team into a contender like Gallant or Brind'Amour. From what I can tell, Sturm is more of a project, who is still learning the art of coaching.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why is everyone high on Sturm and excited on the possibilities of him being our head coach? I get that he's young and might gel well with our young prospects. But what has he shown that he can:

The little that I know is that his team just got swept. Nothing about turning an abysmal of a team into a contender like Gallant or Brind'Amour. From what I can tell, Sturm is more of a project, who is still learning the art of coaching.
My guess is that him being a popular former Shark is a big part of that. I'm honestly not sure how to assess Sturm's capability as a head coach but I'm also not sure what our options really are for this sort of position at our stage in the rebuild. Getting a proven coach for this part of our rebuild doesn't seem likely so we're going to have to take a chance. Brind'Amour re-signed with Carolina so that option is out the window. Gallant may not want to coach here given our situation. He probably wants a chance to win the Cup and it may make more sense for him to remain available rather than commit to a job like ours but it's tough to say. Coaching interviews and the whole process always have a cloud of mystery surround it. I'm just going to trust Grier to make the right choice for our situation.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I mean he’s been with the Kings since 2018 and a head coach for 2 seasons with their AHL team. In that time, they’ve had multiple young players make the jump or take strides forward.

additionally during that time, he had winning records. I genuinely don’t know much about the AHL so not sure if Reign were a powerhouse before or what.

Here’s the big thing though, yes former Sharks, only 25 years old, not a retread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad