Confirmed with Link: Next head coach of the San Jose Sharks Upd it's Warsofsky

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Why is everyone high on Sturm and excited on the possibilities of him being our head coach? I get that he's young and might gel well with our young prospects. But what has he shown that he can:

A) develop young players well
B) a hockey savant that's good with schemes and strategies

The little that I know is that his team just got swept. Nothing about turning an abysmal of a team into a contender like Gallant or Brind'Amour. From what I can tell, Sturm is more of a project, who is still learning the art of coaching.

Read the article if you have access. Case in point for developing players, take Alex Turcotte. High drafted player whose career was derailed by injuries and was well on his way to bustville because of them. He has credited with Sturm for helping him develop his defensive game so he can be trusted when he is with the Kings.

The article mentions that he checks in with his players, especially the young ones and makes things easier to digest since he came into the league at a young age and developed under a strict coach (Sutter). He knows when a heavy hand is needed and when it's not.

For a team like the Sharks, who are basically a glorified AHL team currently, he is a logical option and has the experience at all other levels with great success. If he surrounds himself with a good staff there is no reason to think he couldn't develop this team and himself into a force.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Also, it seems to be lost that he took Germany to a Silver medal at the 2018 Winter Olympics.
He did good, but Germany was not much of an underdog as with most Germany teams. Would of liked to see what he would be like in a real best on best with Germany.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Why is everyone high on Sturm and excited on the possibilities of him being our head coach? I get that he's young and might gel well with our young prospects. But what has he shown that he can:

The little that I know is that his team just got swept. Nothing about turning an abysmal of a team into a contender like Gallant or Brind'Amour. From what I can tell, Sturm is more of a project, who is still learning the art of coaching.
The former Shark aspect is overblown imo. That being said, being drafted, developed and familiar in the market is a bonus at this stage of things.

Sturm has accomplished more than people might realize, many of which were highlighted in that Athletic article:

- His coaching performance in the 2018 Olympics that resulted in a silver medal for that Germany team was very impressive. Great compete and buy in from that team.
- His current job as HC of Ontario has been on an upward trajectory. They’ve made the playoffs in both seasons he’s been there. Lost in the first round last year. The third round this year. That’s growth.
- That Athletic article really does a marvelous job depicting how Sturm handles communication and development for this new generation of player. I personally value that trait a bit.
- He has two years of NHL coaching experience with being an AC to Todd in LA a few years ago. I’d even argue he’s more experienced and prepared for becoming an NHL HC than Grier was to become an NHL GM.
- He’s 45 years old and can grow with the new core of the Sharks. He reminds me of my current favorite NHL HC, Marty St. Louis in Montreal. Energetic. Communicative. Creative. Patient.
- He played over 900 games in the NHL (he came in as a 19 year old first round pick), he’s coached internationally to some success, he’s coached as an AC in the NHL, and now he’s a HC in the AHL. That’s a very impressive resume for someone of his age.

I’ll end with this quote from Reign forward Akil Thomas in the article, “I think, from those meetings, you kind of realize that he actually cares about you.”

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
The former Shark aspect is overblown imo. That being said, being drafted, developed and familiar in the market is a bonus at this stage of things.

Sturm has accomplished more than people might realize, many of which were highlighted in that Athletic article:

- His coaching performance in the 2018 Olympics that resulted in a silver medal for that Germany team was very impressive. Great compete and buy in from that team.
- His current job as HC of Ontario has been on an upward trajectory. They’ve made the playoffs in both seasons he’s been there. Lost in the first round last year. The third round this year. That’s growth.
- That Athletic article really does a marvelous job depicting how Sturm handles communication and development for this new generation of player. I personally value that trait a bit.
- He has two years of NHL coaching experience with being an AC to Todd in LA a few years ago. I’d even argue he’s more experienced and prepared for becoming an NHL HC than Grier was to become an NHL GM.
- He’s 45 years old and can grow with the new core of the Sharks. He reminds me of my current favorite NHL HC, Marty St. Louis in Montreal. Energetic. Communicative. Creative. Patient.
- He played over 900 games in the NHL (he came in as a 19 year old first round pick), he’s coached internationally to some success, he’s coached as an AC in the NHL, and now he’s a HC in the AHL. That’s a very impressive resume for someone of his age.

I’ll end with this quote from Reign forward Akil Thomas in the article, “I think, from those meetings, you kind of realize that he actually cares about you.”
I’m sold. Thanks for all of that information.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021

Because everyone is tired of the nepotism hires and getting the same results. The NHL coaching carousel is real, you can retread tire but eventually it’s going to blow out. There needs to be new blood in the coaching ranks, you’ll never find the next great coach by rehiring the same 20 guys

Reactions: Hangemhigh

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

Expecting any savant to take this job might be a little far-fetched. Also, I'm not sure Gallant would actually qualify for that kind of praise,not after watching him in New York.

Unless you're dead-set on getting someone with NHL head coaching experience I don't think Marco rates badly at all for what the Sharks need right now. I feel like you're selling him way short. Yeah his team was swept... after making it to the third round.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Because everyone is tired of the nepotism hires and getting the same results. The NHL coaching carousel is real, you can retread tire but eventually it’s going to blow out. There needs to be new blood in the coaching ranks, you’ll never find the next great coach by rehiring the same 20 guys
Sturm is new blood in the coaching ranks. He'd be a nepotism hire for the Sharks but not to the same level as say DWJr. That sort of former player nepotism hire is common practice with mixed results. Since Sturm has the requisite experience you'd want from a coach in our situation, it's acceptable even if it's not entirely pure on the nepotism front.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis

That sounds pretty intriguing. I'm sure he still has a lot of learning curve to overcome but I do like a new fresh project than a retread. If we do hire him as HC, I'll keep my expectation low. If it doesn't work out, we'd likely need to look for a new coach by the time we're loaded with talents. With our rebuild still in the early stage, it's worth the risk to let him learn on the fly.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
From what I can tell, Sturm is more of a project, who is still learning the art of coaching.
That's totally fine, he'll grow with the core as it comes together over the next 2-3 years. You don't want to hire a project HC for a team in the middle of its contention window, but it's a perfect hire for a team like the Sharks given that are at least several seasons away from entering their contention window.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Sturm is new blood in the coaching ranks. He'd be a nepotism hire for the Sharks but not to the same level as say DWJr. That sort of former player nepotism hire is common practice with mixed results. Since Sturm has the requisite experience you'd want from a coach in our situation, it's acceptable even if it's not entirely pure on the nepotism front.
He was with Boston and LA as a player and a AC for the kings I think that’s definitely far enough away to wash off the nepo stink 😂

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Other then some high up on the business side, is there even a person in the Sharks organization that was around this team when sturm played for us?

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

Nepostism is showing favor to someone familiar, typically despite a lack of qualifications, at the exclusion of, or without considering, other qualified candidates.

IMO Sturm has established his bonafides sufficiently to not be considered a nepotism hire. He’s had successful stints at international, AHL, and NHL levels; all external to the Sharks. Other than having previously played with the Sharks, Sturm has no personal relationships with anyone involved in his hiring. He didn’t play with Grier.

DW jr. had minimal relevant experience, what he did have was solely within his father’s organization, and skyrocket through the ranks to director of scouting; with no indication external candidates were considered - aka blatant nepotism.

The two cases aren’t even remotely similar. Remove “San Jose Sharks” from both stories and it is made even clearer. That Sturm has some ties can to the org can be a positive attribute without rising to the level of nepotism.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Nepostism is showing favor to someone familiar, typically despite a lack of qualifications, at the exclusion of, or without considering, other qualified candidates.

IMO Sturm has established his bonafides sufficiently to not be considered a nepotism hire. He’s had successful stints at international, AHL, and NHL levels; all external to the Sharks. Other than having previously played with the Sharks, Sturm has no personal relationships with anyone involved in his hiring. He didn’t play with Grier.

DW jr. had minimal relevant experience, what he did have was solely within his father’s organization, and skyrocket through the ranks to director of scouting; with no indication external candidates were considered - aka blatant nepotism.

The two cases aren’t even remotely similar. Remove “San Jose Sharks” from both stories and it is made even clearer. That Sturm has some ties can to the org can be a positive attribute without rising to the level of nepotism.
Agreed that a Sturm hiring isn't remotely similar to DWJr. Sturm would still be a nepotism hire but it falls into the far more accepted practice within pro sports where it makes sense because the experience gained as a player and as a coach are relevant to what's being asked of him. You can't just remove San Jose Sharks from both stories because it's a San Jose Sharks job being given to a former San Jose Sharks player when previous positions within the organization has been filled in part due to ties with the team from the past. That's still nepotism and it can still be problematic especially when the owner has waded into the practice a bit himself.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Nepotism is a prevalent theme with most of Grier’s hires thus far imo.

Quinn.
Weight.
Marchant.
Holy.
Fitzgerald.

If Grier hires Halpern as the next HC that would continue that theme.

Agreed that a Sturm hiring isn't remotely similar to DWJr. Sturm would still be a nepotism hire but it falls into the far more accepted practice within pro sports where it makes sense because the experience gained as a player and as a coach are relevant to what's being asked of him. You can't just remove San Jose Sharks from both stories because it's a San Jose Sharks job being given to a former San Jose Sharks player when previous positions within the organization has been filled in part due to ties with the team from the past. That's still nepotism and it can still be problematic especially when the owner has waded into the practice a bit himself.
Would you consider a Sturm hire as the same level of nepotism as the Grier hire?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Nepotism is a prevalent theme with most of Grier’s hires thus far imo.

Quinn.
Weight.
Marchant.
Holy.
Fitzgerald.

If Grier hires Halpern as the next HC that would continue that theme.

Would you consider a Sturm hire as the same level of nepotism as the Grier hire?
I would only say no based on incomplete information. It was known when Grier was hired that Hasso preferred having ties to the team from the past. That is nepotism. Without Grier saying something similar for Sturm, I can't say it's on the same level but it probably would be. I don't consider either to be egregious in this context but it can create issues.

Reactions: TealManV

Muffin1

Apr 24, 2013
Aptos, Ca
Mike Grier played for the Sharks after Marco Sturm was traded. Hasso Plattner became the chairman of SJSE after Marco Sturm was traded. Pretty much every senior member of the front office outside of Tim Burke came on board after Marco Sturm was no longer a part of the Sharks. I do not think having been a prior part of an organization alone is enough to constitute nepotism. That seems like a stretch.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Even if Mike Grier was a "nepotism hire" he is clearly qualified for his position and so too would Marco Sturm as the head coach. Grier has been a scout, an assistant coach, and a hockey operations advisor prior to becoming Sharks GM. Sturm has been an AHL HC and an NHL assistant coach, both have the qualifications for the positions of GM and HC. Nepotism is bad when it results in unqualified people getting positions they don't deserve, both Sturm and Grier have the necessary experience to be competent in their positions.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
All this nepotism talk is two in the weeds for me. If Marco is the best coach for this team, we will find out. It won’t matter if he’s played for the Sharks before or not.
As pointed out above, Grier has done a bang up job. Nothing else really matters.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
As a former Shark, Marco may get a pass from Sharks fans his first season as HC to prove he is the guy to be leading the team going forward.

Otherwise, a re-tread coach with a NHL coaching history will have a lot more pressure and shorter leash from the fans to prove himself by the team's record.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Knowing the history of a player or coach personally is not nepotism. As an executive in a company, if I know a person and they happen to be qualified, I may also know more about them at a personal level, their strengths and weaknesses, and what makes them tick. This gives the people I know well an advantage and I’m at a disadvantage when I don’t know a person at all. Now if it’s obvious the person I don’t know is more qualified, then I’ll obviously hire that person. But sometimes both individuals look good on paper and knowing something about them helps in making a better decision.

What I appreciate about Grier is that he was willing to fire Quinn even though he knew him well and they are good friends. He also quickly fired the Russian scout. That says a lot about the fact that he has a certain level of excellence he is striving for and these individuals didn’t meet it.

That being said, hiring is hard. It’s easy to make mistakes and it’s always better to cut your losses early when you do.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Mike Grier played for the Sharks after Marco Sturm was traded. Hasso Plattner became the chairman of SJSE after Marco Sturm was traded. Pretty much every senior member of the front office outside of Tim Burke came on board after Marco Sturm was no longer a part of the Sharks. I do not think having been a prior part of an organization alone is enough to constitute nepotism. That seems like a stretch.
Plattner may have became chairman after Sturm was traded but he was part of the ownership group while he was here. I don't see how having been a prior part of an organization alone isn't enough to constitute nepotism. Does it make it pervasive on its own? I don't think so but favoring people for positions because of it is nepotism and that's a known thing from Hasso when it came to Grier's hiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad