Speculation: Next head coach of the San Jose Sharks

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I called out most of these moves for being stupid as they happened and was deemed a hater. Of course I'm going to point it out when I've been proven correct. If that makes me petty so be it.
You weren't the only one and you're not special in this regard. It doesn't mean you're not a hater because you are. You are because you tend to project failures elsewhere onto others whether it warrants it or not. Like really? Making a big deal over the Dahlen/Karlsson trade because of a disagreement in philosophy as it relates to players like Gushchin/Bordeleau/Kunin is where a lot of that hate lies. You can be correct while being unbelievably biased and illogical about it.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I called out most of these moves for being stupid as they happened and was deemed a hater. Of course I'm going to point it out when I've been proven correct. If that makes me petty so be it.
If we all agree that you’re brilliant and smarter than Doug Wilson, will you be vindicated enough to let it go?

The other piece that you’re missing is that a lot of people were self-deluding on purpose during the last DW years because it was more fun than being realistic about the absolutely dismal state of the org. Did anyone actually think Jonathan Dahlen was going to be a top-6 winger? No, I don’t think so.

You also discount the times you’ve been wrong. Off the top of my head, you said in 2022 that there was no way Barabanov would score 45 points in 2022-2023. He did that and then some. Grier deserves criticism for not trading him at the deadline that season, even if it was just for a 3rd, which he absolutely could have got. You still pimp the Kunin trade like it wasn’t horrible—Kunin is a legit 4th liner but you do not trade 65th overall picks for 4th liners, because that pick could have been Jacob Fowler, who I think is a future NHL starting goaltender.

I just don’t understand how you don’t see your bias. I like most of Grier’s moves and hated the last five years of DW’s tenure, but I am also capable of critically examining my own biases as well. I hated the Vlasic extension the moment it was signed, I begged for him to be traded as early as fall 2016. I hated the Jones extension and the Kane extension and wish we would have traded Burns earlier. I also thought moving on from Pavs was the right move because he frankly wasn’t very good in 2018-2019 and I thought he was done. Clearly I was wrong about that. But there’s no point in dwelling on this stuff, it’s done.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I agree that it's not that attractive to be the HC of the Sharks right now but they should shell out insane amounts of money for coaching. They should invest as much where they can and that's one where they can invest however much they want. When you land a talent like Celebrini, you have to start spending to make the most out of a talent like that.
When you have prospects like Celebreni, Smith, Musty, and Eklund etc. getting good coach like Brindy to mould them early in their development is key would be worth overpaying to protect the future of franchise

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I mean, his whole schtick is that anything DW/DW jr. did is bad and so he actively roots for anyone drafted by them to fail. It's weird and I don't know why people haven't noticed it by now. It's one of the things that's really made me lose interest in roster discussions around here.
Yes, you can't have a conversation with someone acting in bad faith, and when half of that thread is being taken up by a bad faith actor and people responding to the bad faith actor, it becomes pointless to even bother.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I think a more interesting discussion question on the next HC is, who are you going to cringe seeing behind the bench for 82 games next season (And future seasons)?

For me that's Jay Woodcroft (never liked the guy and many people have negative stories about him when he was with the Sharks), Jeff Blashill, TMac and Gerard Gallant. (And Mike Babcock too, but that seems too remote to even discuss).

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I think a more interesting discussion question on the next HC is, who are you going to cringe seeing behind the bench for 82 games next season (And future seasons)?

For me that's Jay Woodcroft (never liked the guy and many people have negative stories about him when he was with the Sharks), Jeff Blashill, TMac and Gerard Gallant. (And Mike Babcock too, but that seems too remote to even discuss).
I hate everyone you listed.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If we all agree that you’re brilliant and smarter than Doug Wilson, will you be vindicated enough to let it go?

The other piece that you’re missing is that a lot of people were self-deluding on purpose during the last DW years because it was more fun than being realistic about the absolutely dismal state of the org. Did anyone actually think Jonathan Dahlen was going to be a top-6 winger? No, I don’t think so.

You also discount the times you’ve been wrong. Off the top of my head, you said in 2022 that there was no way Barabanov would score 45 points in 2022-2023. He did that and then some. Grier deserves criticism for not trading him at the deadline that season, even if it was just for a 3rd, which he absolutely could have got. You still pimp the Kunin trade like it wasn’t horrible—Kunin is a legit 4th liner but you do not trade 65th overall picks for 4th liners, because that pick could have been Jacob Fowler, who I think is a future NHL starting goaltender.

I just don’t understand how you don’t see your bias. I like most of Grier’s moves and hated the last five years of DW’s tenure, but I am also capable of critically examining my own biases as well. I hated the Vlasic extension the moment it was signed, I begged for him to be traded as early as fall 2016. I hated the Jones extension and the Kane extension and wish we would have traded Burns earlier. I also thought moving on from Pavs was the right move because he frankly wasn’t very good in 2018-2019 and I thought he was done. Clearly I was wrong about that. But there’s no point in dwelling on this stuff, it’s done.
You forgot the time I suggested trading the 11th overall pick for Jesse Puljujarvi and the time I wanted to trade Karlsson with 50% retention for Nick Foligno and Mike Reilly when he had a hot start in 2022 and I thought it would be our best chance to dump the contract. I also think I (and Grier) was wrong about trading Eyssimont. We could use a guy like that in his age range more than a 4th round pick. I'm sure others can bring up plenty more examples of me being wrong. I'm more than willing to own up to them.

The self-deluding continues when you act like your subjective opinion that Jacob Fowler will be a future NHL starting goalie somehow makes him more valuable (assuming he would have even been the Sharks pick) than a young established NHL forward who has scored at a 15 goal pace over his full career, kills penalties, hits with a purpose of separating opponents from the puck, is reportedly a good influence on his teammates and can be cost-controlled through the rest of his prime.

If fans want to believe that every single prospect will pan out that's their prerogative. But to praise or criticize moves on that basis is just bad analysis.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I'm honestly surprised Hodge has not been named as one of the contenders for the coaching job.
If I was Hasso rich, I'd buy the team and let the board determine draft picks/free agency/trades (no idea how, but I'd figure it out) just to see what happens.

Even a 50m net worth is more money than I could spend in my life or my future kids lives so why not lose a ton of money if the team ultimately sucked. It would be fun. Sorta like Twitch plays pokemon

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Everyone, let’s get back to talking about coaches in this thread. Please use the roster speculation thread for lineup discussions and PMs to hash out all of life’s many issues.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I'm hoping they're smart enough to let Kunin walk but not expecting it.

I'm only penciling Gushchin into the lineup under one scenario where Celebrini and Smith go back to college. If either come in, I suspect one of Bordeleau or Gushchin are dealt.
I mean Kunin is kind of the new Bob Errey so it’s a necessary evil at the moment

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I mean Kunin is kind of the new Bob Errey so it’s a necessary evil at the moment
Errey spent ten years in Pittsburgh before joining the Sharks with a couple Cups. There’s a little more credibility established than what Kunin has done. If a new coach comes in, I’d hope that they’d want a little more out of guys than what Kunin provided. I’d like for them to set higher standards with acquisitions moving forward.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Why do people dislike Blashill so much? I know very little about him but it seems like most write ups on him talk about how good he is for developing young players? Does he also have no system?

I think that’s the challenge for Grier — you need a coach who is great with development but who also knows how to put together a strong NHL system. I’m not positive but I wonder if sometimes there’s a disconnect there — system guys are older, experienced but maybe less inclined to play prospects/help them grow), development guys are great with growth but have less experience/skill in setting a system.

I bet they are going to promote Marco Sturm to groom him for the HC Job and keep him away from SJ

No no our owner is German all the Germans are belong to us

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I can always tell when my decision to block one certain poster here is paying off....and I can do so without having to suffer through his/her posts...
it's kinda annoying sometimes cuz you don't know if a post is response to something or kinda an insane one off post. although there is an option on the blocklist to show ignored content as a toggle.

Reactions: landshark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad