Confirmed with Link: Next head coach of the San Jose Sharks Upd it's Warsofsky

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I have no idea how it’ll work out but you have to respect Grier’s general ballsiness. The singularity of his vision, trading fan favorites for the greater good, hiring a non-standard super young coach (after a year where the owner can’t be particularly pleased with Grier), it might all blow up in his face but I appreciate the moxy.

I’m so curious about what he’ll do with an offseason that’s less about demolishing the old team and more about building on the new one. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised at some draft day shenanigans.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I have no idea how it’ll work out but you have to respect Grier’s general ballsiness. The singularity of his vision, trading fan favorites for the greater good, hiring a non-standard super young coach (after a year where the owner can’t be particularly pleased with Grier), it might all blow up in his face but I appreciate the moxy.

I’m so curious about what he’ll do with an offseason that’s less about demolishing the old team and more about building on the new one. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised at some draft day shenanigans.
And most importantly, you can see the vision and the patience + right steps being taken to achieve that vision. Grier is not hiding what he is doing or trying to half ass things. Moved out 100M in salary for some solid futures, tanked hard a couple years to gain the main pieces of the next core, brought in a couple really solid veterans to surround young guys with (Granlund, Sturm, more coming?), and now hired a high upside young coach to grow with the new core. I'm sure Grier realizes there will be growing pains the next 2 years whether it's integrating 3-4 young guys every year, Warf, or a terrible blueline that needs to be reconstructed...that's where the patience comes in. Even if it doesn't work, you can tell exactly what he is doing.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

100%. I wonder how much having a brother who is an NFL GM has influenced him.

Also, frankly I'm not convinced that Grier isn't going to try to field the best team possible in 24-25.

In any event, for me, I can definitely say...In Grier We Trust!

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
100%. I wonder how much having a brother who is an NFL GM has influenced him.

Also, frankly I'm not convinced that Grier isn't going to try to field the best team possible in 24-25.

In any event, for me, I can definitely say...In Grier We Trust!
I agree, but I think it'll be a balance of adding and not giving out stupid contracts prematurely. Like I wouldn't be surprised if he was ready to give Necas a pretty long deal given his age or some overpays for 3 years (like Sean Walker or Dylan DeMelo) but I don't think he'll give out big 4-5+ year long contracts to older guys like Tanev or something like that

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I have a feeling the target is Montour

30 year old puck moving defenseman with a winning pedigree, and we could overpay him with our mountain of cap space

I wouldn't be thrilled, but he'd be huge improvement for our D, especially on the power play

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I have a feeling the target is Montour

30 year old puck moving defenseman with a winning pedigree, and we could overpay him with our mountain of cap space

I wouldn't be thrilled, but he'd be huge improvement for our D, especially on the power play

I will take any top 4 nhl defenseman who can both play defense and make a single pass out of his own zone..

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Targets I like that are realistically attainable for the Sharks are Tanner Jeannot, Steven Lorentz, Alex Carrier. If Couture is not looking likely add a top 6 fwd. if Cooch is back they can run something like:

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Kostin-Couture-W.Smith
Jeannot-Celebrini-Graf
Lorentz-Sturm-Kunin
G.Smith

Ferraro-Emberson
Mukh-Benning
Thrun-Carrier
Vlasic-Burroughs (extra D)

Blackwood
Vanacek

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Targets I like that are realistically attainable for the Sharks are Tanner Jeannot, Steven Lorentz, Alex Carrier. If Couture is not looking likely add a top 6 fwd. if Cooch is back they can run something like:

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Kostin-Couture-W.Smith
Jeannot-Celebrini-Graf
Lorentz-Sturm-Kunin
G.Smith

Ferraro-Emberson
Mukh-Benning
Thrun-Carrier
Vlasic-Burroughs (extra D)

Blackwood
Vanacek
That's a great roster to virtually guarantee James Hagens...I bit Grier aims for some bigger upgrades if he can

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
That's a great roster to virtually guarantee James Hagens...I bit Grier aims for some bigger upgrades if he can
I agree he might aim for better but let’s be realistic. He’s said he doesn’t want to go beyond 3-4 years in term and I’m sure he’s not going to give out high salary deals, not to mention the top tiered free agents aren’t going to want to sign with a team that just had the second worse season in the cap era whether we have Celebrini or not. It’s more likely he gets the mid to lower tiered free agents. Maybe he can get bigger fish through trade but that requires assets that the Sharks, IMO shouldn’t be parting with at this point in the rebuild.

Reactions: Hodge and DG93

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
If we're really big game hunting in UFA the target HAS to be a defenseman, our D core is so horrifyingly bad that there's no hope of a marked improvement next year without an addition (unless Celebrini is as good as Crosby, but even then the team improvement will be marginal)

Agreed. We talk about having an offense that shelters Celebrini/Smith and eases them into the league but it’s just as important to have a defense that can do that too. We need guys that can ensure a proper breakout so our young guys aren’t stuck in their own zone for 80% of the game (see: poor William Eklund).

We need 2 top 4 guys more than anything else on this team.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
If we're really big game hunting in UFA the target HAS to be a defenseman, our D core is so horrifyingly bad that there's no hope of a marked improvement next year without an addition (unless Celebrini is as good as Crosby, but even then the team improvement will be marginal)
Yeah, you just can't go into the season with a top-4 of Ferraro-Emberson and Mukh-Benning...that's criminal. Give Sean Walker 3yr/20M or something haha

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Yeah, you just can't go into the season with a top-4 of Ferraro-Emberson and Mukh-Benning...that's criminal. Give Sean Walker 3yr/20M or something haha
I hope they aim higher than that specific player, but that's the idea I'm thinking

Reactions: DG93

The McMafia

Sep 2, 2011
San Diego, CA
Grier seems like he is definitely playing the long game with the "hard reset" he's done the past couple years.

Thinking to myself, in the salary cap world, teams probably would be best to have a 10-15 year "competitive" phase and then a 5-year "reset" phase.

If you completely bottom out for 2-3 years and get a deep crop of high-level talent all rising up together, you'll have a small window where you can completely stack a team (i.e. Chicago circa 2011), as long as there's no major injuries or busts.

Eventually players will demand too much money and the team will slowly lose players (i.e. today's Colorado) BUT as long as you keep your mid-to-late round picks, and develop the players you get from them, you can continue to compete for a longer period. If you're lucky enough to win during the stacked period you will become more attractive for short-term free agents as well.

Eventually the top-end talent will begin to drop off or age out, and at that point you jettison everyone and do it again. Maybe that's the strategy?

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Eventually the top-end talent will begin to drop off or age out, and at that point you jettison everyone and do it again. Maybe that's the strategy?
It's certainly what Chicago did, although it flipped from your windows. They tanked for 10+ years and peaked for 5, resulting in 3 cups. Paradoxically, the more talent you acquire quickly, the shorter your window will be if everyone peaks at the same time and forces you to move them and pay only some of them. Amazingly, Toews and Kane signed their equal deals and I think they never made the playoffs again.

You can extend your window with good roster construction but that's very hard - just ask the Avs or (hell, Lightning, who also had like a 5 year window). Avs have been in a window since probably 2019, won one with a flawed roster in 2022, and haven't really been back in it since even though they're still in their window as long as they have Natedogg, Rantanen, and Makar in their primes.

Reactions: Le Grand Quebecois

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
It's certainly what Chicago did, although it flipped from your windows. They tanked for 10+ years and peaked for 5, resulting in 3 cups. Paradoxically, the more talent you acquire quickly, the shorter your window will be if everyone peaks at the same time and forces you to move them and pay only some of them. Amazingly, Toews and Kane signed their equal deals and I think they never made the playoffs again.

You can extend your window with good roster construction but that's very hard - just ask the Avs or (hell, Lightning, who also had like a 5 year window). Avs have been in a window since probably 2019, won one with a flawed roster in 2022, and haven't really been back in it since even though they're still in their window as long as they have Natedogg, Rantanen, and Makar in their primes.
It also depends on how your contracts look...the main reason a team like Toronto is hosed despite their core being set is they are paying them all a ton of money. With Colorado, for example, they had NateMac on a hell of a deal for years that kept that cap space open. Basically, I hope that Grier is proactive in locking up our core early at more team-friendly-ish deals than what Toronto did

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad