Next GM, AGM, and President

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Briere referred to Dan a number of times, so much for he's just dealing with the business side, sounds an awful lot like Scott is being put out to pasture. Hilferty is a serious fan so he's probably aware of the drama and wants it to end - and only one way to do that - put a hockey guy in charge, no committees, no advisors.

Just having a coherent plan will do wonders, even if Briere makes some mistakes, three years from now they'll be in much better shape if they have to hire a replacement.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I think Briere referred to Dan a number of times, so much for he's just dealing with the business side, sounds an awful lot like Scott is being put out to pasture. Hilferty is a serious fan so he's probably aware of the drama and wants it to end - and only one way to do that - put a hockey guy in charge, no committees, no advisors.

Just having a coherent plan will do wonders, even if Briere makes some mistakes, three years from now they'll be in much better shape if they have to hire a replacement.
You have no idea if he's a serious fan or not. It's conjecture. Anyone from Philadelphia hired for that position would say that they're a big Flyers fan.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"It’s an honor to have this opportunity to be a part of Comcast Spectacor," Hilferty said in a statement released by the Flyers. "As a longtime Philadelphian who has admired the company for decades and is a tenacious Flyers fan, I'm excited about Comcast Spectacor and its future. I look forward to working with Dave and Valerie and the many other talented leaders of this storied organization."

He was President of Blue Cross for a decade, he's a multi-millionaire who's been involved in a lot of Philadelphia civic endeavors. I doubt he's motivated by money at this point in his life. He led Philly's successful bid for 2026 World Cup host - so that suggests he's a sports fan - these are the things we dream about doing if we had the money and connections.

On the other hand, I don't remember anything about Scott being a hockey fan on any level when he got the job, it was about his corporate experience. He hired Barber b/c he was a complete novice when it came to the sport.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
"Just having a coherent plan will do wonders, even if Briere makes some mistakes, three years from now they'll be in much better shape if they have to hire a replacement"

Hmmmm....sounds like when Flech took over. Top prospect group, lots of cap space, etc...

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
from what i can tell, he would make sense if they were intent on hiring a GM. Danny's interim tag basically seems to imply that he's the GM unless he royally f***s up in this trial period and/or seems nowhere near ready for this position and/or they find a guy for the PoHO role that they like so much but he absolutely insists on picking his own right hand guy for the GM.

So basically, unless Don Waddell is coming here, you can probably get over the Tulsky pipe dream.

Yeah I think Tulsky is definitely 100% GM material and should be here. Period. I could see Briere taking AGM from Flahr and get more time under his wing with being an AGM. Would be better served there to see more of the business and let Tulsky have general autonomy.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
Friedman saying he didn't think of Briere as a Flyer but as a Sabre was odd. Briere was in Philly for longer, and got his big contract here, and had his best playoff run here.

I heard that and thought, "Wasn't he only in Buffalo for like 2 seasons and in Philly for 5?"

Reactions: Curufinwe

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Friedman saying he didn't think of Briere as a Flyer but as a Sabre was odd. Briere was in Philly for longer, and got his big contract here, and had his best playoff run here.

Briere was usually a second line player during most of his time with the flyers, he was THE guy in Buffalo. I think of him as a Sabre primarily. But I think of Brind’amour as a Flyer over a Hurricane. I probably give more weight to where a player first established themselves as an NHL’er than other fans do.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
You have no idea if he's a serious fan or not. It's conjecture. Anyone from Philadelphia hired for that position would say that they're a big Flyers fan.

I mean, this is true, but his late son was an avid hockey fan and the family did collaborate directly with the Flyers years ago to start a power wheelchair hockey program. Which tells me that he and his family have had some longtime interest in the sport and familiarity with the franchise.

Also like, he's a rich white guy from Philadelphia. Odds are pretty good.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
If the Flyers didn't have an AHL goalie in net, Briere would have won the Conn Smythe here.

Buffalo: 230 points in 225 games, 34 points in 34 playoff games

Philly: 283 points in 364 games, 72 points in 68 playoff games
I think part of the reason he came to Philly was that Buffalo didn’t surround him with anybody to help.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Whether of not Hilferty is a super fan, it appears his influence over hockey ops is greater than initially reported.

Two of the biggest failures of the Fletcher/Scott era were the A) Fletcher was his own immediate boss as both President and GM and B) Dave Scott seemed to sparely use whatever influence he had in hockey ops. It is encouraging that the Flyers appear to be going for a more direct, accountable chain of command.

Reactions: Curufinwe

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
When is the Scrub Daddy guy buying the team? He was a 94.1 a while back and he said that was his goal. He's apparently a huge hockey guy and invented some kind of new stick that he is trying to get approved for use in the NHL. Sell the team to him and I'd trust him way more than the folks in charge now to put the right people in place.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I mean, this is true, but his late son was an avid hockey fan and the family did collaborate directly with the Flyers years ago to start a power wheelchair hockey program. Which tells me that he and his family have had some longtime interest in the sport and familiarity with the franchise.

Also like, he's a rich white guy from Philadelphia. Odds are pretty good.
I think that the most logical situation to come from this is still the one that was presented when he was hired.

Hilferty is here to grease the poles for their entertainment district that they’ve wanted to build because he’s in that world. It will be a separate job from operating the Flyers.

Camillo is the natural replacement for Scott. She’s worked with the Flyers for a few years now and has ascended to basically the top so what’s one more step?

For the time being Hilferty may be “running the show” but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was just due to Camillo currently working under Scott and she can’t tell him what to do.

Once Scott is gone she and Briere, who she has helped groom, will likely be leading the way. The Flyers likely want one person to focus solely on the Flyers and another to focus on the rest of Comcast Spectacor’s assets.

Is that to say that Hilferty won’t be doing anything with the team? No but by early reports that’s not really why he’s here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad