Speculation: Next Flyer to Reach 100 Points in a Season.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
It's also rather easy to spot the intellectually dishonest, who spout BS and then run away behind sarcasm and snark when they get called out on their displayed ignorance.

Just like Paul Holmgren runs a multi-million dollar organization, right? Or is that Peter Lukko?

It's very easy to be smug when you spout ******** (regularly) and neither back it up, nor admit to it when your incorrect observations are pointed out to you. George W. Bush has made a career of it.

No one forgets that they are dealing with real living people. You just constructed the definition of a straw man argument, which defines the rest of the post.

Actually, yes, they did. Everyone was very confused why the Sedin twins didn't develop quicker. However, more importantly, you should internalize the following observation: there are exceptions to every rule.

Look above, however, Hockeypete49 rattled off a slew of names of supposed players that somehow backed up his defensible position and they almost all conformed perfectly to what I was arguing. The Peter Stastny one was just pure gold.

And your belief that you cannot predict anything in the NHL is... certifiably false. Given enough evidence, you can predict within a reasonable margin of error a great deal quite accurately. For example, given the history of the league and the thousands of players that have spent time in the NHL, by the age of 23 most elite scorers have begun putting up big point totals and you can make determinations based on that.

Who the **** is writing off Giroux? He's a very good scorer now, and I expect him to put up good point totals throughout his career (I always have). I don't expect him to be a 100 pt guy in this league, and I doubt we will see significant change from the level he's at now. And... late bloomer? He scored 103 pts his first season in the Q. There's also a difference between being a late bloomer as a teen (physically maturing) and later on in life.

However, the original argument was made by Sawdalite, that Giroux was "young" if you're talking about scoring in the NHL (specifically in relation to guys that hit 100 pts). That is an empirically false claim. NHL players with extreme consistency start putting up high point totals at or before the age of 23. 23 is NOT young by any argument you might want to make when it comes to scoring in the NHL. The majority of the skill-set required to put up high point totals: quickness, twitch reflexes, durability, etc. are stuff that doesn't age well.

If you want to argue that he may be a "late bloomer" that's fine... but you are applying the term "late bloomer" for a reason, no? Maybe, because he didn't bloom when most do?

Jester when I made that comment I was not talking about you. Sorry you took offence. It was meant for another boarder who always spin doctors facts his way only And makes up excuses why facts go against what he believes in. I hope this clears this up. However if this gives you something do in your day and you find some semblance of enjoyment out of this. Then by all means continue.
Take care,

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I said Giroux back when this poll started. He's got a shot this year but he has to keep playing the way he has been.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I said Giroux back when this poll started. He's got a shot this year but he has to keep playing the way he has been.

He has to stay healthy and not burn out... but he is proving in my mind that I was originally correct that he can do it... given the chance.

I want to hear the people who thought in this day and age it is too hard and may not be done with the style the Flyers play and their spreading the goals around... It can be that he won't, but I like his chances at this point.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
With a balanced attack I doubt that anyone could reach that mark on this time. However to answer your poll G would be the one to have a shot. I read where someone said he was not a young player. He just turned 23!! OMG:sarcasm: I guess if you hit say 27,28 its over:shakehead

Well I wonder what our so called expert has to say for himself now. He says "G" is old at 23. Every player is different. However some people just suck up stats and that is all they have to base crap on. Maybe now they will have changed their minds about Claude.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Well I wonder what our so called expert has to say for himself now. He says "G" is old at 23. Every player is different. However some people just suck up stats and that is all they have to base crap on. Maybe now they will have changed their minds about Claude.

Trends are established to be broken... G is putting up the numbers and could end up being a Hart contender in the process; not from the numbers but when and how he is doing it, IMO.

I find it amazing how he and the top line can share the minutes yet still put up such numbers.

mirimon

Oct 2, 2009
The Wrong Town

I just skimmed the thread, I might have missed that post but I can't see anyone saying Giroux is "old". It was said that 23 years old isn't that young when it comes to offensive production. Which is true. Most of the players that top the league in scoring are up there at a fairly young age.

Giroux had an awesome game tonight, and is really having a great season so far. His main weakness offensively in past years has been his shot. That is much improved this season, he is a lot better in getting himself into shooting positions this year, and also shoots a lot more where he would have passed the puck previously. I wouldn't expect his shooting percentage to remain as high as 20.5 when the season ends though.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I just skimmed the thread, I might have missed that post but I can't see anyone saying Giroux is "old". It was said that 23 years old isn't that young when it comes to offensive production. Which is true. Most of the players that top the league in scoring are up there at a fairly young age.

Giroux had an awesome game tonight, and is really having a great season so far. His main weakness offensively in past years has been his shot. That is much improved this season, he is a lot better in getting himself into shooting positions this year, and also shoots a lot more where he would have passed the puck previously. I wouldn't expect his shooting percentage to remain as high as 20.5 when the season ends though.

We must take into consideration his high amount of helpers... In his four point night tonight he had one goal and three assists... So, while his goal scoring chances may have improved, his play making and getting his stick in so much action has to be a major role in his tally.

Also, he has improved every season to-date, IIRC... which was one of my original points, way back, I believe.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Bumping this thread due to Voracek's fast and furious start... Yeah, I know it only 12 Games is, but still... Jacub was not around when this thread/poll was active; does he have a chance given his latent talent now seemingly rising to the surface? Can he team with Giroux and Raffl for a real shot at the century mark come Spring?

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I think Giroux and Voracek could both potentially do it this year, if and only if their line mate can find the net 25-30 times. That's really the issue here.

Giroux is a slow starter, and he hasn't had a slow start this year by any means, so 100 is definitely attainable for him as long as he's here the whole season. Voracek needs a goal scorer to pass to, to hit 100.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
If Giroux goes on the same tear like he did last year after his slow start, he could hit it. If Raffl or whoever else ends up on their line can get 20-30 goals and they can each get 20-30 goals it's possible.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Well at least I picked somebody not with the organization at the time...thought I picked G but the remark about G not being selfish enough when it comes to shooting seems to have rung true considering he is still mostly a setup man. He needs to score more goals to hit that century mark.

Jake has the potential to finally hit 100 this season as long as he remains healthy. Should be interesting. Dude has really carried over his play from the Rangers series where he was literally willing his team to win. I remember that game where he told the bench to calm down and then took matters into his own hands by scoring and mounting a comeback.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Jake's career high is 62 points in an 82 game season, which was last year. To see him increase over 50% in points production in one season would be remarkable and highly unlikely even given his start.

Be happy if he hits a point per game; that would still be a remarkable increase over last year.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I'm super high on Voracek, he's a bigger and faster Marian Hossa. But he's a longshot to score 100 pts. Giroux still has the much better shot.

If both stay healthy, 80-85 for Voracek, and 85-95 for Giroux

100 is hard in today's NHL

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Voracek & Giroux have potential this year but they're going to have to go over the the 30 goal mark to have a shot.

Voracek is on pace for about 34 right now, but his shooting percentage is just a little bit higher than in past seasons. He's shooting 11.9% right now, and last year shot at 9.8%. We've seen players sustain a higher than average shooting percentage for whole seasons before, so it's not unimaginable to think that Voracek could do it (especially since it's only a 2.1% increase, and only 1.6% higher than his career average), but I wouldn't say it's a given.

Giroux is currently on pace for only 13 goals.

But like others have said - small sample size. One big night this early in a season and a guy will technically be "on pace" for a huge season, but it really doesn't mean anything if it's only one big night. Likewise, a player like Crosby can go his first two games without a goal - it doesn't mean he's actually going to go a whole season without scoring.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Voracek is on pace for about 34 right now, but his shooting percentage is just a little bit higher than in past seasons. He's shooting 11.9% right now, and last year shot at 9.8%. We've seen players sustain a higher than average shooting percentage for whole seasons before, so it's not unimaginable to think that Voracek could do it (especially since it's only a 2.1% increase, and only 1.6% higher than his career average), but I wouldn't say it's a given.

Giroux is currently on pace for only 13 goals.

But like others have said - small sample size. One big night this early in a season and a guy will technically be "on pace" for a huge season, but it really doesn't mean anything if it's only one big night. Likewise, a player like Crosby can go his first two games without a goal - it doesn't mean he's actually going to go a whole season without scoring.

Yeah the sample size is too small for that as of now. It's just hard to hit 100 in general but especially for pass first guys like Giroux & Voracek.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Giroux has been good, but he needs to pick it up a bit. He hasn't done as much as he should with Voracek's hot start, probably due to some bad luck on his shots. He's still on pace for 90+ points, but if you told me that Voracek would be 2nd in the league in points through the first month, I would have said Giroux would be on pace for something like 115.

Hopefully he has a 2 goal night or something coming up to turn his luck around. If he goes off like he did last year though he could have his best shot at 100 since his 93 pint year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Giroux has been good, but he needs to pick it up a bit. He hasn't done as much as he should with Voracek's hot start, probably due to some bad luck on his shots. He's still on pace for 90+ points, but if you told me that Voracek would be 2nd in the league in points through the first month, I would have said Giroux would be on pace for something like 115.

Hopefully he has a 2 goal night or something coming up to turn his luck around. If he goes off like he did last year though he could have his best shot at 100 since his 93 pint year.

Giroux is riding shotgun to Voracek right now. He's letting him shine but getting him the puck and letting him do his thing. He also draws a lot of attention from defenders which gives Snake even more room to operate.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Early and small sample indeed but what I like from Jake here is that he is getting points almost every game and is showing what was projected for him at his best possible scenario... He was before a star in the making and he seems to have been able to reach back now and achieve a lot what he can do... The aim now is to keep playing as he can and expect to be able to play through slumps and pick up after them. Much, as other have pointed out, depends on G and as I said earlier, Raffl -- his being out several weeks cannot be a good thing for both Jake and G -- I heartily agree that this is really much too early for a 100 point watch... although the discussion being revived is really interesting, IMO... but in all reality what I'm thrilled in seeing, more than the potential of a monster number of points by Season's end, is the emergence of the consistent force that he was projected to be when drafted and again when obtained by the Flyers... and his becoming at times the best all around player on the ice on a consistent basis... He has that look of a confident player and the flashes he once displayed are becoming more than mere flashes... Given the right players around him and proper circumstances I can easily see Voracek becoming a superstar in the NHL... he can elevate the players around him as well as feed off them... BUT... this glimpse I suppose can be a fleeting one and he may fall back to the here and there awe that we have seen in the past. I think a lot may depend on the Flyers team as a whole around him... and of course his maturation and the mounting confidence he has that seems to be there presently. It is sweet to see Jake stepping forward like this.

That said, 100 points for either him or G is a lot to ask and too much to EXPECT... I personally am happy for players in today's NHL to have a PPG+ total.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad