Speculation: Next Captain of the Tampa Bay Lightning

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
There's no way anybody not named Victor Hedman wears the C.

Right?
Probably Hedman, but possibly McD.

I don't really see an issue with waiting a bit to name a captain. I don't think we need multiple years without naming anyone, but maybe see how things go in camp and the beginning of the season.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Hedman or Point. It should be kucherov and if not it is number one bs!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There's no way anybody not named Victor Hedman wears the C.

Right?
They need summer narratives. Hedman with the C and then we will have guys rotating As. Everyone knows who the leaders on this team are.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
99% chance it's Hedman, with the 1% chance being one of the players blackmailing the management to giving him the C.

Reactions: DFC

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Probably Hedman, but possibly McD.

I don't really see an issue with waiting a bit to name a captain. I don't think we need multiple years without naming anyone, but maybe see how things go in camp and the beginning of the season.
No chance McD gets it.
It's either Hedman or that Swedish Dman, Norris Trophy Winner, that has been drafted 2nd overall by the Bolts in 2009.

Reactions: Outl4w

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
No chance McD gets it.
It's either Hedman or that Swedish Dman, Norris Trophy Winner, that has been drafted 2nd overall by the Bolts in 2009.
McD was captain for NYR.

We don't really have enough information to make a determination, IMO. We know these guys by reputation, and maybe a few fan encounters.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It'd be awkward to give the C to a guy you traded away, just traded back for, and will likely retire or be gone in a two years over a guy that just signed a 4 year extension and has been a lifer wearing an A for most of those years. I think McD only gets the C if Hedman graciously defers for whatever reason.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sometimes the C is a big distraction for those who get it, not going to happen but I wouldn't hate McD getting it

Certain players let it effect them, Lecavalier and Stamkos definitely tried to overcompensate for "leadership" when they got the C whereas MSL didn't really change anything, Hedman is of a similar mold I don't think it's going to change anything for him really. He pretty much played that role the entire 2020 playoffs.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Certain players let it effect them, Lecavalier and Stamkos definitely tried to overcompensate for "leadership" when they got the C whereas MSL didn't really change anything, Hedman is of a similar mold I don't think it's going to change anything for him really. He pretty much played that role the entire 2020 playoffs.
Yeah. I think if Stamkos had gotten it later it wouldn't have been such a big thing. There is a leadership core with the team. I guess Hedman just plans the team outings now or whatever. But he's been a leader for about a decade. Probably a little more.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'd figure that we'd have our answer by February, but Coop is part of the Team Canada staff for the 4 Nations Face-Off. The conversations with the other coaches about naming the captain and assistants could be productive.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

This is exactly what I was thinking of, Lecavalier and Stamkos were also very young when it was thrusted onto them where as St.Louis wasn't.

I feel like Hedman will be comfortable in the role due to his age and having worn the A for like a decade, but I don't see the St.Louis comparison. Their demeanors are pretty much polar opposite, I can totally see Hedman being a guy who would let the teams standing effect his play. I don't think it's really up for debate though, he's the obvious choice.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This is exactly what I was thinking of, Lecavalier and Stamkos were also very young when it was thrusted onto them where as St.Louis wasn't.

I feel like Hedman will be comfortable in the role due to his age and having worn the A for like a decade, but I don't see the St.Louis comparison. Their demeanors are pretty much polar opposite, I can totally see Hedman being a guy who would let the teams standing effect his play. I don't think it's really up for debate though, he's the obvious choice.
That doesn't seem obvious to me.

There are guys who will raise their game with a letter, and there are guys who will falter. Age and experience will probably mitigate some of that stress. Heddy's been here for like 15 years, and gotten his money, so I don't think he'd take on more than he could handle.

While on Team Sweden, Erik Karlsson has worn the 'C'. Another friend of his.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
That doesn't seem obvious to me.

There are guys who will raise their game with a letter, and there are guys who will falter. Age and experience will probably mitigate some of that stress. Heddy's been here for like 15 years, and gotten his money, so I don't think he'd take on more than he could handle.

While on Team Sweden, Erik Karlsson has worn the 'C'. Another friend of his.

You don't think Hedman is the obvious choice? I think we could potentially see some individual performance issues as he puts a little too much pressure on himself, but I don't see anyone else who matches his tenure/lead by example etc.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
You don't think Hedman is the obvious choice? I think we could potentially see some individual performance issues as he puts a little too much pressure on himself, but I don't see anyone else who matches his tenure/lead by example etc.
For practical purposes, he's definitely the obvious choice. He'd win in a fan vote (if we counted), and he'd more than likely win in a player vote.

However, captains tend to be picked by coaches & management (which is an imperfect option, although probably still the best way to do it), and the negatives have to be weighed against the positives.

I'll admit I'm overanalyzing.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
For practical purposes, he's definitely the obvious choice. He'd win in a fan vote (if we counted), and he'd more than likely win in a player vote.

However, captains tend to be picked by coaches & management (which is an imperfect option, although probably still the best way to do it), and the negatives have to be weighed against the positives.

I'll admit I'm overanalyzing.

I think we are on the same page

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think picking anyone over Hedman would have way too many negatives, just from a PR standpoint. Nobody wants to answer "why don't you like hedman?" for two months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad