Marlies Discussion: News | We've signed forward Alex Nylander to a one-year AHL contract.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
does that mean he can only play in AHL? weird didnt he go on a good scoring streak last season?
Yes it does unless he gets an NHL deal

It’ll be interesting to see how he does. Perhaps there was a discussion of him getting the possibility of earning a contract with the Leafs

I would have thought there’d be a team out there interested in seeing if he can bring some depth scoring at minimal risk.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I wonder if this is about waivers. On an AHL deal he gets sent down without having to clear. Maybe he wants to be in Toronto and we want him here and no one wants to risk waivers?

He comes to camp, he starts the year with the Marlies and if he is playing well and an opportunity opens up we sign him to an NHL deal. It could be that simple.

I bet he is making pretty good money for the AHL and I bet we keep a contract spot open.
If we do sign him mid-season to an NHL deal, does he have to clear waivers to come up? I seem to recall something like that with Ho-Sang and Bellows. That would rule out the above strategy then. Does anyone know?

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
There has to be a plan for this or he woulda just gotten a 2 way deal.... maybe Marlies he gets some games in like a try out and we sign him to a contract and call up so he doesn't have to go through waivers??

Reactions: Forgotusername

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Yes it does unless he gets an NHL deal

It’ll be interesting to see how he does. Perhaps there was a discussion of him getting the possibility of earning a contract with the Leafs

I would have thought there’d be a team out there interested in seeing if he can bring some depth scoring at minimal risk.
Guess it gives him some cash and a guaranteed contract otherwise why not just go the PTO route? I assume he has a clause allowing him to sign with any NHL team if they approach him.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I wonder if this is about waivers. On an AHL deal he gets sent down without having to clear. Maybe he wants to be in Toronto and we want him here and no one wants to risk waivers?

He comes to camp, he starts the year with the Marlies and if he is playing well and an opportunity opens up we sign him to an NHL deal. It could be that simple.

I bet he is making pretty good money for the AHL and I bet we keep a contract spot open.
If we do sign him mid-season to an NHL deal, does he have to clear waivers to come up? I seem to recall something like that with Ho-Sang and Bellows. That would rule out the above strategy then. Does anyone know?

I remember this as well.

Something about preventing NHL teams from stacking their AHL teams with NHL players. Then calling up all those extra bodies for the playoffs when there is no cap. I don't remember the exact rule but it's something along those lines.

If Nylander was good enough he would have gotten an NHL contract of some sort from someone by now including the Leafs

This is a favour to him to facilitate a return to the NHL faster. There's no room for him on the Leafs. So if he does well in the AHL any NHL team can sign him without having to trade for him first.

It's a reward for his brother's good play.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Gonna be confusing for a lot of fans when they see someone wearing a Nylander jersey and they wonder which one is their fav.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Maybe a replacement for Robertson if doesnt re-sign and still wants to be traded.

I like this deal. Would be cool to see if the brothers have chemistry. Will he get a chance in pre season games?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Good depth deal.

He did got on a pretty good streak toward the end of the season with the BJs.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I remember this as well.

Something about preventing NHL teams from stacking their AHL teams with NHL players. Then calling up all those extra bodies for the playoffs when there is no cap. I don't remember the exact rule but it's something along those lines.

If Nylander was good enough he would have gotten an NHL contract of some sort from someone by now including the Leafs

This is a favour to him to facilitate a return to the NHL faster. There's no room for him on the Leafs. So if he does well in the AHL any NHL team can sign him without having to trade for him first.

He has a reputation as being inconsistent and sometimes lazy but minus the outstanding skating ability of his brother. However their puck skills are pretty close.

He’s going to have to prove that he can sustain the pace of play for a full 60 minutes to earn an NHL contract.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I remember this as well.

Thanks and well put.

I agree completely.

If he does develop into an NHL player then this could work out for everyone including the Leafs. Right now, it seems good for the Nylanders.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If I were to just throw a complete guess at it, the AHL deal will be equivalent to an NHL league min deal or whatever in actual dollar terms, and would be converted to an NHL deal after the waiver period in training camp.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Obvious move for the leafs. If he impresses at camp, then sign him to a 1yr NHL deal.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Willy be able to handle the pressure of a big market/intensive media scrutiny/massive fanbase like the Toronto Marlies?

;)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not Alex Nylander's first time in this market in the blue and white either. He was a Mississauga Steelhead in his OHL career.

1722186824016.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad