News Article: News & Notes XXXII: Simply Having a Wonderful Canesmas Time

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Heh, retro gdt. Yeah, we're missing hockey super duper bad.
giphy.gif

Unfortunately, looks like only an abbreviated version of the game. Only an hour and thirty minute broadcast.
So long as they broadcast all of the actual hockey part of the game I’ll be satisfied.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Kind of annoyed that NBCsn is re-airing old NFL games. Yeah yeah no sports but come on, it's April. Lets give the NFL a rest please.

Reactions: DaveG

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
For those interested..here's a nice article about David Glenn. He says Tom Dundon reached out to him after his dismissal. He's a man with options.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Howdy all, I'm a Kings fan but am a Svech devotee given his single-handedly getting my fantasy team into a playoff spot.

Anyways, I'm here to ask about Joel Edmundson. Before the Kings won their Cups in 2012/2014, they made some great signings/trades on defense that helped other players like Martinez, Doughty, and Muzzin develop. I'm talking Matt Greene, Rob Scuderi, Willie Mitchell, Robyn Regehr; the common thread with all of them was that they were no-nonsense puck movers who were a calming presence. While some were already older, most were young enough to grow with the younger core, which was perfect as well.

All that to say, I think Joel Edmundson could be the perfect #4 defenseman for the Kings for the next 3 years as we bring in younger players. I think he's also got the talent and pedigree to be able to stay with the team past that, even if it's in a #5-6 role. He's got Cup experience, size, and in my (limited) viewings, is a no-nonsense, solid first-pass type of defenseman who skates fine.

What do y'all think he'd be worth on a 4 year deal? 4-4.5M/yr? I'm hoping Blake has him on his radar, but I'm not sure he'd be interested in signing for a team in a rebuild. That being said, he's won a title already, the Kings are on the way up, and he'd get to live in the South Bay haha.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
We had a few people that wanted to give Edmundson that contract or thereabouts earlier in the year when he was on a hot streak. I think it's way too much for us, but it depends on the position of a team. A lot of times, when you are at the point in team development curve that the Kings are, it's okay to overspend and overslot a dman like Edmundson.

Ideally, you want him on the 3rd pair and moving up in a pinch, or he'll be over his head. But he'd likely be able to fill the role you want on a developing team nicely.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I dont think I'd give him that deal but I'm not as familiar with the kings defense. I don't really think he's more than a 5/6 though he can go on hotter streaks. Hes not BAD most of the time but I don't think I'd commit more than 3 million to him unless it's to fill out that specific role for a one season push

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If the Kings are in need of a stabilizing defensive presence with some toughness more than anything then he's a solid signing. Ideally he's a 5 but he can do spot duty as a 4.

With where the Kings are in their rebuild I'd probably sign him to a contact like that. Could provide some valuable leadership as the kids tradition in while guys like Carter and Brown get to retirement

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

General manager Don Waddell said that the Carolina Hurricanes are preparing for home games with a capacity that's intentionally limited due to the coronavirus pandemic.
"We have multiple plans. We have a task force that we've put in place internally to talk about all of these options. One of them is that we come back with no fans, and how we're going to deal with that. The second option is we come back and can only have -- pick the number -- five or eight thousand people in the building," said Waddell on a video conference call on Thursday. "The third option is that we can be totally open. We've talked at length and have plans for all of those situations."

The Hurricanes were one of the most impacted teams when the NHL paused its regular season on March 12. Eight of their final 14 games were scheduled for PNC Arena in Raleigh.
"Without a doubt, it's going to have a huge impact on us financially this year. We had eight home games left. That's 20% of your games. You have the gate, the food and beverage, the parking, the TV rights, the sponsorship ... when you're talking about 20% of your income going away, that's a real big number," Waddell said.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
This has me tempted to try something, a game retrospective thread. Pity the NHL streaming archive purged a lot of the great stuff from past playoff series since it would be pretty cool to go back and give our impressions currently of some of the more interesting games of the past.

Even some of the series we lost (thinking 99 vs Boston) could give some pretty cool looks at the team through the ages. I'll do some digging and see if I can find full games on Youtube. Feel free to post up if you can find any interesting games from the past yourselves.

This would be great, actually. I only casually followed the team early on, so it'd be a good way to get more familiar with those periods.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
The nhl app on the roku recently put up the entire broadcast of game 4 against the devils in 09 under classic games. Pretty cool. I didnt watch the whole thing but it was cool that it's up there... in pretty good resolution and everything

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The nhl app on the roku recently put up the entire broadcast of game 4 against the devils in 09 under classic games. Pretty cool. I didnt watch the whole thing but it was cool that it's up there... in pretty good resolution and everything
I'll have to see if I can track down the game on there.

IIRC the NHL app is free currently during the Covid situation so wouldn't be a bad game to revisit this weekend.

Reactions: cptjeff

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Original Whaler player and former Hurricane Asst coach Tom Webster dead at 71 of brain cancer. RIP. Forslund used to reference him all the time, loved him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad