News & Notes XLIV: Revenge of the Seth

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
While your point about the Canes not scoring at the rate of expected goals is valid (albeit small sample size), you are interpreting the chart/data incorrectly. It's not Goals/GP it's G/60. Canes are at 2.4 Goals/60.

These numbers are affected by small sample size right now though. Over the past 3 seasons combined, the Canes are the 8th best team in the NHL for 5v5 GF/60 at 2.87 and the best at xGF/60 at 3.04, so they were only 0.17 off the expected. Given the Canes had about 48 minutes of 5v5 time per game, that equates to being short 1 goal every 8 games.

5v5 doesn't really concern me. In the playoffs, it's been the special teams, and sometimes goaltending that has been the issue. Gotta figure out why they are good in the regular season and not good in the playoffs.
Ah ok G/60 makes more sense, I thought that was rather high on a per-game basis. Apparently I need Zoolander's Center for Children Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Honestly, we still have some of the same concerns, but it looks so far like the team is more or less status quo from last year. After a brutal offseason for personnel loss, I'll take "worrying if my team has the same special team concerns when going into the playoffs" and be happy with it. I half expected the team to have less finishing anyway this year given the loss of Guentzel and Teuvo.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I’ve found this years team to be more enjoyable to watch than LY’s.

Their overall team speed seems faster than LY and Burns & Freddie seem to have found their better selves.

Add to it, new players, better start, less expectations.
I've been pleasantly surprised how seamlessly the Ghost + Walker pairing has worked out. Ghost has obviously been contributing offensively which has been great and Walker has been quiet, but almost in a good way, has played some very good defense. I thought we were going to have a bumpy transition like we've seen with Hamilton, Skjei, Orlov, where those first 30-50 games were kinda rough from them.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I've been pleasantly surprised how seamlessly the Ghost + Walker pairing has worked out. Ghost has obviously been contributing offensively which has been great and Walker has been quiet, but almost in a good way, has played some very good defense. I thought we were going to have a bumpy transition like we've seen with Hamilton, Skjei, Orlov, where those first 30-50 games were kinda rough from them.
To be fair, that pair has been pretty sheltered. But yes, they have done what’s asked well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad