News & Notes XLIV: Revenge of the Seth

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
D minutes last night.....I have to go back and look at the tape but it appears that Orlov-Walker are carrying 2nd pair PK minutes versus Orlov-Chatfield (plus, Slavin's TOI was down last night versus his YTD average.....as mentioned by another poster, he seemed a little off too) .

1729868052555.png

Reactions: Stickpucker

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
From the Athletics "16 Stats" article:
12. Seen Skjei?

The Predators are off to a nightmare 1-5-0 start, a frustrating outcome for a team that spent a lot of money to squeeze more juice out of the team’s superstar core. Building through free agency can be a challenge for that reason, but right now a lot of the blame feels misplaced.

While it’s not ideal that Stamkos has just a single goal through six games, he’s also the only forward outside the top line who’s been winning the scoring-chance battle. He’s far from the team’s biggest problem. That honor should arguably go to Brady Skjei.

The Carolina Effect was a big concern for any team signing Skjei, and so far, Skjei seems to be really struggling in a different system. He’s last on the team in every key on-ice measure, earning just 38 percent of the expected goals while being outscored 8-3 at even strength. It doesn’t matter whether he’s been paired with Roman Josi, Alexandre Carrier or Luke Schenn — he’s been rough in every role.

It’s still early and it takes time to acclimate to a new team. Skjei should get some benefit of the doubt for that and, to his credit, he had a much stronger game against Boston. That leaves some hope that he can figure things out with Josi on the top pair. Still, as a whole, the early results haven’t been promising.

13. Hurricanes’ offseason turnover looking savvy

There was a lot of hemming and hawing about Carolina’s offseason after losing Jake Guentzel, Skjei and Brett Pesce. Fair enough, but with the money the Hurricanes had, they made out pretty well and those moves have panned out fairly well.

The team’s new-look third pair — Shayne Gostisbehere and Sean Walker — have been fed a fairly steady diet of sheltered minutes, but have absolutely crushed those assignments. Together, the trio has earned 79 percent of the expected goals. It helps too that last year’s third pair — Dmitry Orlov and Jalen Chatfield — have slid in seamlessly to the second pair, too.

Up front, William Carrier feels like he was created in a lab specifically to be a Hurricane and specifically to play next to Jordan Staal and Jordan Martinook. That trio might be the league’s best checking line and, so far, they have dominated play to the tune of 65 percent of the expected goals (and only 1.7 expected goals against per 60).

The team may be missing the star power that Guentzel brought, but The System still looks strong in Carolina.
I feel bad for Brady. I wonder if Pesce will have a similar "Carolina Effect" in his effectiveness?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I thought Slavin already didn’t make the team?
No. That was just a Bleacher Report writer speculating on what the team will be. Each team has only named 6 players. The other projections I've seen, including ESPN and NHL.com, include Slavin.

The only players currently named to the US team are Eichel, Matthews, Matt Tkachuk, Fox, Quinn Hughes, and McAvoy.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
From Cory's mailbag on the Athletic:

At what point in the season is it most advantageous to place Fast on LTIR, in terms of cap space and movement? — Andrew G.

Here’s something I didn’t hit on in my story about the Hurricanes’ salary cap maneuvering: Fast has been on LTIR, is on LTIR and will remain on LTIR. While everyone thinks a player goes on LTIR when a team needs it, in fact, it’s about paperwork.

The team with an injured player sends documentation to the league with evidence of the need for the LTIR designation, and if the league approves it, the player is on LTIR.

Now, LTIR isn’t used until it’s needed. So when Carolina called up Jackson Blake at the start of the season — after setting their cap recapture number at just $3 below the NHL’s $88 million cap — the team used some of the LTIR space from Fast’s $2.4 million.

As mentioned in the aforementioned story, any time the Hurricanes get under $88 million, they can still accrue cap space for use this season.

So when is the best time? Well, Carolina will want to accrue as much space as they can — this is why Blake was “sent down” to the minors in a paper move this week — and right now is on track for more $7.1 million in accrued space at the deadline, according to PuckPedia. If that was the accrued amount on the day of the deadline, the Hurricanes could add a player with a face cap value of approximately $9.5 million ($7.1 million plus Fast’s $2.4 million).

The short answer is, the more patient Tulsky and the front office can be, the more they’ll have to play with down the road.

I found the exact working of the cap gymnastics around LTIR interesting.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
From the Athletics "16 Stats" article:

I feel bad for Brady. I wonder if Pesce will have a similar "Carolina Effect" in his effectiveness?
He was babysitting Luke Hughes last night and was a stud when I watched. Broke up a two on one that was Slavin-esque and was quicker than we’ve seen him in some time. They gave up a goal when Hughes coughed a puck right down the middle and Peesh couldn’t get there in time. I have no idea what their fans thought but I died a little inside watching it. He looked great and as suspected the rumors of his skating decline look pretty exaggerated. He's going to be a very good Devil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad