News & Notes XLIV: Revenge of the Seth

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
True. His leaguewide value is probably around $5-$6M on a longer term deal.

However, in retrospect, we could have found a cheaper option to provide more value for the team. The term was great, but I don't think we're getting $7.5M worth of wins with Orlov's deal. For me it's consistency. At the end of last year Orlov was playing great, but we get a disparity of effort or results shift to shift.
100% agree on the consistence piece. That should be something we see more often from a player like him regardless of contracts.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Apparently it was pointed out on the Sportsnet broadcast last night that last year the Canes became only the 4th NHL franchise to ever finish 3 straight seasons with 110+ points in the standings.

Which, you'd think that would be talked about more.
In fairness, some of us frequently talk about how great of a run this team has been on to get shit on around here because we didn't win the Cup or make the right big moves or have the same coach still or whatever. There is a reason why I have maintained that I think we'll be in that territory again this season. I'm going that way until a fall off actually happens for a whole season.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
In fairness, some of us frequently talk about how great of a run this team has been on to get shit on around here because we didn't win the Cup or make the right big moves or have the same coach still or whatever. There is a reason why I have maintained that I think we'll be in that territory again this season. I'm going that way until a fall off actually happens for a whole season.
I mean I also think that we eventually need to bring some hardware home for more people to really notice. Falling flat on our faces in the playoffs during this run does make it a bit easier to dismiss how good this team has been. That being said, if we do win a Cup with this core, it flips the entire narrative on its head and you're suddenly talking about how Dundon created a monster from the ashes when he bought the franchise.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I mean I also think that we eventually need to bring some hardware home for more people to really notice. Falling flat on our faces in the playoffs during this run does make it a bit easier to dismiss how good this team has been. That being said, if we do win a Cup with this core, it flips the entire narrative on its head and you're suddenly talking about how Dundon created a monster from the ashes when he bought the franchise.
No doubt. I think we as fans should still enjoy the hell out of this ride regardless. But we'll always get the Sharks comparisons if we don't win.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Embracing AI might be the right move financially, but if Dallas's marketing attempt last year was any indication, fans (on the whole) are VERY much still against it.

Though it'd be funny to see Dundon try to go full AI and start generating our roster photos with it.

View attachment 919889

Do you think Aho is more of a Borts or a Fooly?
The search function tells me I have done the "WHL is empty and all the bantams are here" joke three times already.

This is the fourth.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Well, what's your definition of "falling flat on our faces in the playoffs"? Tampa fell flat on their face against Columbus a few years back. I could also see Leafs fans making that assessment. Maybe I'm misremembering but in addition to at least one series win each year, seems to me like after Boston, every series the Canes lost could have gone their way with just a couple different bounces.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
For those smarter than I, do we see the proposed plans for the arena upgrades and commercial development around the area as a potential way to improve the sustainability of running a hockey club that spends max cap yearly in this market?
it's certainly a way to bolster income around the team/franchise without really doing much in terms of HRR. It could allow Tom to inject more money into the team as a bit of a write-off while still being a positive on the valuation of the team as a whole. Whether or not that's what he does with it is for Tom to decide but the guy likes winning, and that's probably the best way to help more in that regard.

Unhinged Finn

Skunk is my spirit animal
May 1, 2022
I know this topic is a about media. But if we win, I can already see how it doesn't matter and it's bad for the league or something. You know "lucky because X and Y was injured, referees sucked and Uranus had an anomaly in its orbit". It would be just icing on the cake for me.

I don't care if this team gets praise or not (in media or in general). I enjoy the ride every year. And all of you 26ers are a huge part of the experience.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Well, what's your definition of "falling flat on our faces in the playoffs"? Tampa fell flat on their face against Columbus a few years back. I could also see Leafs fans making that assessment. Maybe I'm misremembering but in addition to at least one series win each year, seems to me like after Boston, every series the Canes lost could have gone their way with just a couple different bounces.
Clearly the definition is: winning at least 1 round each year and making it to the ECF 2 times in 6 years. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad